Canada government issues permanent postal ban on hate speech publication. - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Drlee wrote:You have to admit that we in the US are living through a crises of free speech rights. We have just repealed net neutrality. We have the Citizens United decision that essentially said money is speech. We have an administration that absolutely has no commitment to the truth and doesn't even try to fake it. Add to that blatant and unchallenged attempts at voter suppression targeting minorities and we have every reason to hold our free speech rights absolute and inviolable. Even at the risk of letting a great deal of garbage into our information stream. I mean just look at how you know who characterizes immigrants as "rapists" and "criminals".
Yes, and it's very discouraging to those who are watching from the outside, because we can see it more clearly, as we have no horse in the race, as it were.
Drlee wrote:There is a case for doing exactly as Canada (and Germany + others) have done. Perhaps the Canadian society can handle it better than others.

I think our laws and those of Germany, are - were polar opposites

You have to admit that we in the US are living through a crises of free speech rights. We have just repealed net neutrality. We have the Citizens United decision that essentially said money is speech. We have an administration that absolutely has no commitment to the truth and doesn't even try to fake it. Add to that blatant and unchallenged attempts at voter suppression targeting minorities and we have every reason to hold our free speech rights absolute and inviolable. Even at the risk of letting a great deal of garbage into our information stream. I mean just look at how you know who characterizes immigrants as "rapists" and "criminals".

Sadly, i agree, but note, America has anti hate laws. If I understand them correctly, hate laws can be attached to other laws to extend the punishment, the argument being actions of this ilk doesn't just affect the individual (s) but the whole community. We don't know what's being mailed. Is it notes or posters?
@Godstud

Your Ward News isn't hate speech, if it was then there is hate speech legislation that could be used against it, which hasn't stuck. This banning from the post was an extra-judicial action made by haters. It isn't wise to let a small cabal of neo-marxist crazies decide what you are allowed to read or not. Before you know it everything will be banned except their mish-mash of anti-human nonsense.
:lol: @SolarCross Conspiracy theory bullshit? get real! :lol:

This isn't a case of censorship, and no amount of moronic posts is going to change that.
Last edited by Godstud on 20 Nov 2018 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Godstud wrote::lol: I've never stated anything otherwise, and what has that to do with anything?

Fuck off with your bullshit lies about dehumanization. That's all they are.

Other than what? Are you being deliberately deceptive? Are they or not? If you believe they are equal then what is your justification for targeting their views?
Hate speech should not be delivered by a Crown corporation. Period. I don't care what kind of hate speech it is, it's not preventing other avenues of delivery, and so this is mostly just a lot of fear-mongering from the uneducated(Americans).

Noemon Edit: Numerous Rule 2 Violations.
Godstud wrote::lol:
:lol: Conspiracy theory bullshit. Dumb, and it isn't even censorship.

Those behind this do want it censored. They already tried using the hate speech legislation against it but they couldn't make it stick. That is why they had to resort to messing with its distribution through the post instead; if it actually was hate speech they could use the hate speech legislation.

Point of fact the purpose of hate speech legislation is not to stifle satire or controversial opinions; it is to have a preventative legal handle on people like Islamic radicals who go around persuading people to carry out suicide bombings. We should be mindful that we don't use that legislation on silly and frivolous things or it will have to be gotten rid of and we will be the less safe for it.
Last edited by SolarCross on 20 Nov 2018 11:38, edited 2 times in total.
Godstud wrote:Quote me, or you're simply a liar, trying to build an argument based on bullshit. I state exactly what I think.

Hate speech should not be delivered by a Crown corporation. Period. I don't care what kind of hate speech it is, it's not preventing other avenues of delivery, and so this is mostly just a lot of fear-mongering from the uneducated(Americans).

What are you talking about? Quote you on what? I asked you a question and your reply was not definitive.
So, you would support banning hate speech against Nazis? No unaddressed bulk mailings against them?
Godstud wrote:Please provide a source for this claim.

MINISTER UPHOLDS MAIL BAN ON YOUR WARD NEWS
However, the paper is still being published and distributed by hand and online. We are calling on continued Crown prosecution to the fullest extent of the law and on the federal government to reinstate Section 13 of the (Canadian Human Rights Act), which dealt with online hate speech.
Hate speech against Nazis? Are you honestly defending racism and hate with a history of excessive violence and oppression?

One degree wrote:I asked you a question and your reply was not definitive.
I am not replying to "what ifs", "whataboutisms", and other such idiocy.

One degree wrote:No unaddressed bulk mailings against them?
Please provide a source showing that this actually happens, and I will address it.

@SolarCross Canada has hate speech laws. Get over it. If they are in violation of these laws, then they deserve fitting punishment, and a halt to their illegal activities. It's not censorship if they are in violation of Canadian law.

What is it with you people defending the spread of nazi propaganda? :eh:
Godstud wrote:Canada has hate speech laws. Get over it. If they are in violation of these laws, then they deserve fitting punishment, and a halt to their illegal activities. It's not censorship if they are in violation of Canadian law.

I don't have a problem with hate speech laws providing they aren't used for silly censorship of satire and controversial opinions. Your Ward News has not violated those laws.
Godstud wrote:Hate speech against Nazis? Are you being purposefully stupid, or are you honestly defending racism and hate with a history of excessive violence and oppression?

I am not replying to "what ifs", "whataboutisms", and other such idiocy.

Please provide a source showing that this actually happens, and I will address it.

@SolarCross Canada has hate speech laws. Get over it.

Unless this group is all in their 90’s and from Germany, I see no connection to historical events. An ideology is not responsible for individual actions. Individuals committed atrocities in the name of all ideologies (except mine :)).
Your unwillingness to commit yourself clearly demonstrates you know this is wrong and you simply don’t care. Why don’t you simply admit you don’t want people with these beliefs to be equal?
Godstud wrote:Why don't you stop trying to imply things I never said? You're being purposefully dishonest, and a troll.

Unlike you, I do not defend hate speech.

Why not answer my questions? Honest people have no need for evasion.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/5/6/text-of-t[…]

Or maybe it's an inanity because commercial media […]

I have been stopped trying to cross parade routes[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Rancid There are numerous ways this is being[…]