American man who travelled to Caribbean faces 12 years for bullets accidentally left in luggage - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled on vacation to Turks and Caicos (a small island country in the Caribbean) faces a mandatory 12 year prison sentence because he accidently left four bullets in his luggage, which customs officials found.

Ryan Watson traveled to Turks and Caicos with his wife, Valerie, to celebrate his 40th birthday.

The vacation came to an abrupt end when airport staff members found a zip-close bag containing bullets in the couple's carry-on luggage. Watson said it was hunting ammunition he had accidentally brought with him. Under a strict law in Turks and Caicos, a court may still impose a mandatory 12-year sentence. "They were hunting ammunition rounds that I use for whitetail deer," Watson told NBC Boston in an interview conducted last week that aired after their first court appearance Tuesday. "I recognized them, and I thought, 'Oh, man, what a bonehead mistake that I had no idea that those were in there,'" he said.

Both he and his wife were arrested. His wife was released and allowed to travel back to the U.S. about 10 days later. They have two children.

Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt sent a letter to government officials in Turks and Caicos on April 16 in support of Ryan Watson, arguing the ammunition was "an inadvertent oversight, not an intentional attempt to break the law."

U.S. tourist faces 12 years in prison after taking ammunition to Turks and Caicos, Patrick Smith, NBC News, April 24, 2024
American Ryan Watson stuck in Turks and Caicos jail and facing 12 years in prison after airport staff found four rounds of ammo in his luggage as he tried to return home, Will Potter, Daily Mail, April 24, 2024
Mom reunited with kids after husband arrested in Turks and Caicos for ammunition, kktv, channel 11 News

I know some of those on the Left may have trouble understanding the point or being sympathetic to this man, so for you try imagining it was 4 grams of cannabis instead of bullets. Something you view as perfectly normal and not wrong, but which could be severely criminally punished in some other part of the world.
@Puffer Fish

Why do Americans abroad think they're a special case that deserves special treatment?

When in Rome, you do as the Romans do.

And that means you respect their laws or face the consequences.

Stop whining!
Puffer Fish wrote:
I know some of those on the Left may have trouble understanding the point or being sympathetic to this man, so for you try imagining it was 4 grams of cannabis instead of bullets.

Our government does more than most to help citizens in trouble abroad. Something is already being worked out.

But sympathy for a gun nut?

Not a chance.
As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossing a US border. Before 9/11, it was routine for me to be stopped and searched, and be interviewed. Consequently, I developed the habit of completely emptying my luggage before packing it. I assume this is true for most people who get profiled by border services.

This fellow obviously had a different upbringing.
Pants-of-dog wrote:As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossing a US border. Before 9/11, it was routine for me to be stopped and searched, and be interviewed. Consequently, I developed the habit of completely emptying my luggage before packing it. I assume this is true for most people who get profiled by border services.

This fellow obviously had a different upbringing.

I agree, and do the same. Make sure not knives and shit are in my bags. I also have a bag that is specific for carrying guns and and ammo that I take to eh shooting range. I make sure to never take that anywhere but the shooting range. I don't want some bomb sniffing dog going crazy on me.
wat0n wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be also illegal in the US itself? There are very specific laws regulating how to transport guns and ammo on commercial flights.

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declare the items on checking in. You have to declare firearms and ammo at checking in. Then they have a process for checking them, and making sure they will be secure during the flight. After that, it's ok.

I believe the only allow this for domestic flights as well.
Puffer Fish wrote:A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled on vacation to Turks and Caicos (a small island country in the Caribbean) faces a mandatory 12 year prison sentence because he accidently left four bullets in his luggage, which customs officials found.

Ryan Watson traveled to Turks and Caicos with his wife, Valerie, to celebrate his 40th birthday.

The vacation came to an abrupt end when airport staff members found a zip-close bag containing bullets in the couple's carry-on luggage. Watson said it was hunting ammunition he had accidentally brought with him. Under a strict law in Turks and Caicos, a court may still impose a mandatory 12-year sentence. "They were hunting ammunition rounds that I use for whitetail deer," Watson told NBC Boston in an interview conducted last week that aired after their first court appearance Tuesday. "I recognized them, and I thought, 'Oh, man, what a bonehead mistake that I had no idea that those were in there,'" he said.

Both he and his wife were arrested. His wife was released and allowed to travel back to the U.S. about 10 days later. They have two children.

Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt sent a letter to government officials in Turks and Caicos on April 16 in support of Ryan Watson, arguing the ammunition was "an inadvertent oversight, not an intentional attempt to break the law."

U.S. tourist faces 12 years in prison after taking ammunition to Turks and Caicos, Patrick Smith, NBC News, April 24, 2024
American Ryan Watson stuck in Turks and Caicos jail and facing 12 years in prison after airport staff found four rounds of ammo in his luggage as he tried to return home, Will Potter, Daily Mail, April 24, 2024
Mom reunited with kids after husband arrested in Turks and Caicos for ammunition, kktv, channel 11 News

I know some of those on the Left may have trouble understanding the point or being sympathetic to this man, so for you try imagining it was 4 grams of cannabis instead of bullets. Something you view as perfectly normal and not wrong, but which could be severely criminally punished in some other part of the world.

I used to work at an international airport. It is up to the passengers to be informed of the laws and expectations of the nations they are traveling to. You need to realize that once you leave the USA and all its fifty states? The laws of the nation you are entering will be applied to you. You can't appeal the laws of Mexico and enforce only the US laws outside of their territorial boundaries.

Airports all discourage guns, knives, and explosive materials in luggage. Again if you carry firearms you need to fill out paperwork, prove you are the rightful owner and that you are allowed to have it at your destination.

Mexico bans gun sales in the entire country. Except for one hunting gun shop in Mexico City with strict regulations there are no other gun shops in Mexico. It is illegal.

I had one stupid person wanting to get on a Volaris flight with a machine gun to Mexico. That is illegal. They banned him from flying for life. Over that one attempt. It is stupid in the extreme.

Also many Americans are dumb with the drug problems. They get used to getting high on drugs in other nations. They got to realize that most of the states in Mexico prohibit meth, heroine, cocaine and marijuana is not legal to consume in public or private in most Mexican states. Why risk that shit of going to jail because you assume the nation is 'laid back on drugs'.

Just assume your ass is going to jail if you try to take drugs that are not prescribed by a doctor on a plane.

I made one mistake when traveling from Colorado to Mexico. One. I put some of my medical supplies in a checked bag upon check in. They kept it and did not give it back. I lost all of my expensive meds and med supplies. If anything looks like something you can smuggle drugs in? They are taking it down. I got the luggage back 10 days later. I asked about the supplies and they said, all meds and supplies need to be declared and in a carryon and kept with you at all times. Not in checked luggage.

They even took some tiny skin care products that were slightly over the travel size. They are strict with it.

Americans need to stop being fools and check what is acceptable before traveling. Just take your clothes and your computer and phone if you must. Dump the meds, the cosmetics, deodorants, perfumes, etc. it is not worth it. Buy small quantities of toiletries at your destination. Prescription drugs have the doctor's note and keep it with you.
Rancid wrote:Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declare the items on checking in. You have to declare firearms and ammo at checking in. Then they have a process for checking them, and making sure they will be secure during the flight. After that, it's ok.

I believe the only allow this for domestic flights as well.

And you need to carry them in a special suitcase/baggage, not your regular one.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

putin forced an Ukranien man from the occupied ter[…]

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/17867739442[…]

Clearly wrong, as usual. But even then, anti-sem[…]

They already have Black collaborators though . T[…]