Columbia faculty members walk out after pro-Palestinian protesters arrested - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

late wrote:Read the history of the 68 Chicago police riot. Or that time the gays fought back against the police, and wound up starting the gay movement. Or Kent State, or...

We didn't have problems like that in Maine. But in some cities you sewed up the pockets of your blue jeans so they couldn't plant drugs on you.

Nobody was listening to him, so Doyle created Sherlock Holmes to illustrate what effective policing could do.

This has a long history.

Ok but there's a problem with your argument here. He doesn't live in the US, he lives in Canada.
@wat0n

Hope you have an enjoyable Passover.

—————————-

Situations like this clarify some of the more absurd aspects of society today.

It is seen as perfectly acceptable and normal and centrist and liberal for universities to invest in countries, regimes, and corporations that engage in human rights abuses and war crimes.

It is seen as unacceptable and abnormal and extremist and illiberal for people to put up a tent in most places.

Why is a tent worthy of debate, police, state intervention, and condemnation while investing in human rights abuses is not?
Pants-of-dog wrote:@wat0n

Hope you have an enjoyable Passover.

Thank you.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Situations like this clarify some of the more absurd aspects of society today.

It is seen as perfectly acceptable and normal and centrist and liberal for universities to invest in countries, regimes, and corporations that engage in human rights abuses and war crimes.

It is seen as unacceptable and abnormal and extremist and illiberal for people to put up a tent in most places.

Why is a tent worthy of debate, police, state intervention, and condemnation while investing in human rights abuses is not?

It's not just about putting tents, though. There are reports of harassment against other students/staff (mostly Jewish) who walk by those encampments and where protesters are more generally. This alone is unacceptable.

Furthermore, the concern for human rights abuses is evidently insincere if you're advocating for more October 7s. But, this alone is not worth any police action, it's the above that is a problem and also undoubtedly illegal for schools to be indifferent about if it happens within their property.
And we see another example of a so called centrist telling everyone to ignore the fact that universities habitually invest in regimes committing human rights abuses.

Because tents and some insulting words are worthy of police action.

So, if anyone accuses you of antisemitism or supporting the October 7 attack, call the cops on them. Harassing words matter!
Pants-of-dog wrote:And we see another example of a so called centrist telling everyone to ignore the fact that universities habitually invest in regimes committing human rights abuses.

Because tents and some insulting words are worthy of police action.

So, if anyone accuses you of antisemitism or supporting the October 7 attack, call the cops on them. Harassing words matter!

As a matter of fact, yes, harassment is worthy of police action. And it is illegal for schools to foster a hostile educational environment based on protected classes like, you know, national origin. It is illegal for schools to tolerate the harassment of Israeli or Jewish students.

And harassment is not just based on words, although schools also punish that when done against women, BIPOC and LGBT students or staff. Unequal enforcement of these policies, based on protected class membership, is also illegal.

This case of harassment from Yale was solely based on how he's dressed, and was not simply speech

Pants-of-dog wrote:
If harassment is worthy of police action, then constant accusations of antisemitism, supporting the October 7 attack , and being a rape apologist are all worthy of police action.

Do you agree @wat0n ?

He doesn't know how.

For that matter, I'm not sure you do, either.

He grew up in a world he dominated. That world is gone, but he doesn't realise it yet, and even when he does, it will take years for him to learn a fraction of the skills his grandparents had.

As for the protests, I understand the passion. I remember breaking the chains...

But protests, or arguments like yours, have limited utility. What is needed now is a way to move forward. That doesn't happen in the streets. It can happen in forums, and it needs to, but it takes time.

Mostly it takes time because emotion doesn't inspire the sort of compromise we can all live with.
Pants-of-dog wrote:If harassment is worthy of police action, then constant accusations of antisemitism, supporting the October 7 attack , and being a rape apologist are all worthy of police action.

Do you agree @wat0n ?

Am I blocking your freedom of movement?

late wrote:He grew up in a world he dominated. That world is gone, but he doesn't realise it yet, and even when he does, it will take years for him to learn a fraction of the skills his grandparents had.

Since I am a Latino under your nonsensical ideology I don't dominate shit.

Oh but I am Jewish so maybe I do after all?

Pants-of-dog wrote:Then the protesters are merely criticizing the political positions of Zionists. It is not harassment.

Thank you for explaining why this police presence is unnecessary, @wat0n

Then why have they blocked the path of a Haredi Jewish person in, say, Yale's campus as I showed earlier? This is not merely speech.

wat0n wrote:This case of harassment from Yale was solely based on how he's dressed, and was not simply speech

This is not the only example either.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@wat0n

I'm going to pitch a tent on your lawn and harass you verbally and physically based on your ethnicity and sometimes physically block you and your family from entering your house. I expect you won't call the police. Then I'll call myself a victim if you do.
wat0n wrote:
Indeed, historically conspiracy theories of Jewish domination has been a prominent racist trope.

So many of my conversations here are like talking to a child.

When the rich, corrupt, Cubans fled Cuba, they knew to keep money going to Congress. Because of that, they have largely been able to freeze a policy that hasn't made a lick of sense for half a century, the way they want it.

We are corrupt, which isn't domination, but it is corrupt.

Btw, there is racism going on, but if you want to find it, try any bathroom mirror.

I voted in a special local election today. Of cou[…]

@ingliz when these two faced corporations start […]

I just recently discovered this groundbreaking doc[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Oh yes I did, I even showed it was similar to how[…]