Julian Assange arrested in London - Page 11 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

SolarCross wrote:He wasn't free trapped in that embassy annoying the hell out of the staff there for years on end.

Yes we know he wasn't free in the embassy, he was given sanctuary there.

The annoying-the-staff meme is your brain on the MSM.

He has to man up and have his day in court, get it over and done with.

For what?

With Trump in office he has some hope of a pardon any other prez will let him swing.

Which president is this move to extradition happening under? :?: :roll:

Even if they don't let him off, they aren't going to give him the death penalty. He'll just go to jail like manning.

No media should be put in jail for publishing whistleblowers.

Prison isn't so bad. My brother went to prison for GBH, he quite liked it there.

You should go too, permanently if possible.
UN Rapporteur on Torture Nils Melzer exposes propaganda and censorship in Assange reporting

By Chris Marsden
1 July 2019

When Nils Melzer, the UN special rapporteur on torture, issued a May 31 statement demanding an immediate end to the “collective persecution” of Julian Assange it made headlines all over the world.

Assange, Melzer wrote, “has been deliberately exposed, for a period of several years, to progressively severe forms of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, the cumulative effects of which can only be described as psychological torture.”

“In 20 years of work with victims of war, violence and political persecution, I have never seen a group of democratic states ganging up to deliberately isolate, demonise and abuse a single individual for such a long time and with so little regard for human dignity and the rule of law,” he added.

In the run-up to last Wednesday’s International Day in Support of Torture Victims, Melzer wrote an op-ed titled, “Demasking the Torture of Julian Assange.” He offered the hard-hitting piece to leading publications, including the Guardian, the Times, the Financial Times, the Sydney Morning Herald, the Australian, the Canberra Times, the Telegraph, the New York Times, the Washington Post, Thomson Reuters Foundation, and Newsweek.

All of them declined to publish, leaving Melzer, one of the world’s foremost legal experts on torture, to publish his article on the online blogging platform Medium...
skinster wrote:Yes we know he wasn't free in the embassy, he was given sanctuary there.

The annoying-the-staff meme is your brain on the MSM.

Right but when sanctuary has no end in sight and no way out it became a prison. Worse because prison is only temporary.

skinster wrote:For what?

The Swedes claim he is a rapist and the USians claim he was trafficking in classified information. I don't know but if he is innocent why did he hide? My brother tried to hide from the police. He did pretty well too because they couldn't find him but in the end he got tired of living in loneliness and filth and handed himself in.

skinster wrote:Which president is this move to extradition happening under? :?: :roll:

Right because he should have his day in court before being let off.

skinster wrote:No media should be put in jail for publishing whistleblowers.

So it may be but that is why he should go to court to settle that. That is what courts are for.

skinster wrote:You should go too, permanently if possible.

why? :?:
SolarCross wrote:The Swedes claim he is a rapist and the USians claim he was trafficking in classified information. I don't know but if he is innocent why did he hide? My brother tried to hide from the police. He did pretty well too because they couldn't find him but in the end he got tired of living in loneliness and filth and handed himself in.

Because there are corrupt bastards in the world who wanted to kill him and pretend as if it is "Justice".

Even Jesus had to hideout in Galilee outside of the Jerusalem-based jurisdiction of the Jewish Sanhedrin, under the protection of Herod Antipas.... he only came "out of hiding" because the Torah dictated he had to go to Jerusalem, and he didn't want to break the Torah.

It is a natural instinct to hide from authorities you believe are out to kill you. Even history's most famous person had to hide from authorities that wanted to murder him (TWICE! Once in childhood had to hide in Egypt, in adulthood had to stay in Herod Antipas region and "go in secret, unannounced" into Judea).

He has to man up and have his day in court, get it over and done with.

That's exactly what the Sanhedrin thought about Jesus Christ. In the end, it wasn't even daytime... And it wasn't a "day in court", it was bloody murder.

Assange's situation is almost a modern day update....
@colliric
I don't think he had good reason to think they were going to kill him. Arguably Chelsea Manning did worse because he was a traitor and breached his oaths in the course of his espionage yet they have not even treated him badly let alone kill him. Assange is certainly clear of being a traitor. Also he has a good chance of getting off entirely because of the 1st amendment. He should be more worried about the rape charge the Swedes have on him.

The US isn't the USSR, he will be fine.
SolarCross wrote:Right but when sanctuary has no end in sight and no way out it became a prison. Worse because prison is only temporary.

:eh:

I am agreeing with you that embassy was also a prison, not sure what gibberish you're rambling on about now.

The Swedes claim he is a rapist and the USians claim he was trafficking in classified information.

The Swedish allegations are obvious bullshit and the Americans only want him for embarrassing them by publishing their war crimes (not a crime).

I don't know but if he is innocent why did he hide?

Because the American regime doesn't live by any rule of laws when it comes to what journalists publish / they violate them.

My brother tried to hide from the police. He did pretty well too because they couldn't find him but in the end he got tired of living in loneliness and filth and handed himself in.

Nobody cares about you or your brother.

Right because he should have his day in court before being let off.

How is this a response to me stating the extradition order came from Trump? Are you normally this dishonest during debate?

So it may be but that is why he should go to court to settle that. That is what courts are for.

It would be one thing if he were summoned in a court in either the country he was living or came from, but to be kidnapped from his embassy in that display of fascism - yes that's what it was - and a further attempt of rendition to another country, is totally fucked up. He didn't commit any crime in publishing what he was offered by whistleblowers, that's why Obama didn't even go this far (regardless of the fact he sucks also).
SolarCross wrote:@colliric
I don't think he had good reason to think they were going to kill him. Arguably Chelsea Manning did worse because he was a traitor and breached his oaths in the course of his espionage yet they have not even treated him badly let alone kill him.

What are you 'talking' about..?
Firstly, Chelsea Manning is a 'She' not 'He'. If you have issue understanding or accepting trans-sexuality; it's best to discuss it openly and separately (perhaps in a related thread).

Secondly, as a whistleblower she has not done anything wrong / outside the scope of law by informing unlawful and immoral activities.

Whistleblower definition:
A person who informs on a person or organization regarded as engaging in an unlawful or immoral activity.

And, if committing war crimes, mass surveillance and other political crimes and conspiracies are not unlawful or immoral activities; then what is..?

thirdly, with all the reports out there on the physical and psychological tortures inflicted upon her while being in the army prison - the year following her arrest in 2010, and after that - how anyone could be so ignorant to say 'they have not even treated him badly..'?
Here's one of those reports that sheds some light on the appalling circumstances she lived under while being imprisoned:

Bradley Manning's treatment was cruel and inhuman, UN torture chief rules

SolarCross wrote:[usermention=25179] Assange is certainly clear of being a traitor. Also he has a good chance of getting off entirely because of the 1st amendment. He should be more worried about the rape charge the Swedes have on him.

The US isn't the USSR, he will be fine.

That's not so, as the U.S prosecutors have announced 17 new charges against him for supposedly violating the Espionage act. which carry up to 175 years of prison sentence or death penalty.
Aren't you following the news? It has been reported even by the mainstream media.

As for the 1st Amendment; the whole scenario is about undermining and dismissing it via attacking the basic rights of the journalists, publishers and the press freedom.

“With the indictment, the ‘leader of the free world’ dismisses the First Amendment - hailed as a model of press freedom around the world - and launches a blatant extraterritorial assault outside its border, attacking basic principles of democracy in Europe and the rest of the world.”
Kristinn Hrafnsson, WikiLeaks editor-in-chief
JADC.jpg
JADC.jpg (288.32 KiB) Viewed 3495 times

Dear friends in the struggle to free Julian Assange,

Upcoming events as arranged by JADC - Julian Assange Defence Committee - in London, UK

Wednesday 10th & Thursday 11th July 2019 from 9am onwards

A solidarity protest outside The Global Conference for Media Freedom this upcoming Wednesday and Thursday. The event is organised and promoted by the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Jeremy Hunt in an effort to raise his international profile during his bid to become the next Prime Minister. This is just a Public Relations stunt whilst Julian Assange, the publisher of WIkiLeaks is languishing in Belmarsh prison.

We shall gather outside the venue with our banners and posters to protest at this parody and highlight the plight of Julian Assange who Jeremy Hunt will gladly hand over to the Trump administration and a supermax prison for 175 years, tomorrow if he can. Join us in the protest.

The address: Surrey Quays Rd, Rotherhithe, London, SE16 7PJ
Nearest tube: Canada Water, on the Jubilee Line.

Information about the conference: https://www.publicmediaalliance.org/res ... ence-2019/

Of Interest:

Saturday 13th of July at 11am

Barrister Jen Robinson will be joining #ORGCon2019 in conversation with UN Special Rapporteur on #FreedomofExpression David Kaye to discuss the global landscape of content regulation.

Get your ticket here: https://orgcon.openrightsgroup.org/2019/

New Action from Courage Foundation:

We Are Millions: #FreeAssange

“The days when I could read and speak and organize to defend myself,
my ideals, and my people are over until I am free! Everyone else must take my place.”

— Julian Assange, from Belmarsh Prison

Courage announces We Are Millions, a global photo campaign in support of Julian Assange. MIA, Oliver Stone, Ken Loach, Yanis Varoufakis, Alice Walker, & Slavoj Žižek are among hundreds who have already taken a stand for Assange. Join us:

Upload your photo and tell the world why you want to #FreeAssange

For details see here: https://defend.wikileaks.org/freeassange/

In solidarity!

JADC (Julian Assange Defence Committee)
Grassroots solidarity for the WikiLeaks editor
JADC@protonmail.ch
Such hypocrisy!
One doesn't know whether to laugh or to cry :hmm:
UK government holds “media freedom” conference while imprisoning Assange

Thursday marked three months since WikiLeaks publisher Julian Assange was dragged out of the Ecuadorian embassy and into London’s Belmarsh Prison, where he is being held pending extradition to the United States and a drumhead trial on Espionage Act charges that carry a prison sentence of 175 years.

Assange’s only “crime” is exposing war crimes, subversion and corruption by the US and British governments. Chelsea Manning, the courageous whistleblower who leaked the information to WikiLeaks, has been sent back to jail for refusing to give false testimony against Assange before a US grand jury...
"National strike against Ecuadorian government demands Assange’s freedom"

Workers, peasants and youth in Ecuador began a five-day strike Monday against the draconian policies of the Lenín Moreno administration, which is seeking to strengthen its ties to Washington and its military-intelligence apparatus.

The strike constitutes the first major industrial action in the world demanding the freedom of Julian Assange; presented in the framework of growing opposition to the attacks against social and democratic rights associated with the Moreno administration’s totally servile policy toward US imperialism.
Thanks, but the link doesn't work. I got this message:

"The page you are looking for, https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/hero-or ... n/11314826 cannot be found. It might have been removed, had its name changed, or be temporarily unavailable."
The website opens, but not the video.
Please share your thoughts with us after watching it. Does the program portray Assange as a hero, or else..?

Thanks.

Dear friends in the struggle to free Julian Assange,

This week's actions as organised by JADC, London, UK:

Thursday 25th 2019, 6-8pm Flyering at Parliament Square

At these political interesting times we will canvass support for Julian Assange during an anti-government protest demanding Elections Now. Our campaign is above party politics but we recall that Alan Duncan, Junior Foreign Minister of this government boasted in his resignation letter this week that he "negotiated the eviction of Julian Assange from the Ecuador embassy, and then re-launched our relations with Ecuador itself" is the very man who has in the past called Julian Assange "a miserable little worm" behind the libel indemnity of the Houses of Commons.

We shall gather near Churchill's statue on Parliament Square. Join us in distributing flyers, engaging with the protesters and enjoy the atmosphere.

The address: Parliament Square, London, SW1P 3, United Kingdom
Meet: at Churchill monument
Nearest tube: Westminster on the Circle, District and Jubilee Lines.

Saturday 27th of July from 12:00 at a Summer Festival

Join our efforts to reach out to a younger audience, explain the Julian Assange imprisonment and canvass support for No US extradition for publishing with WikiLeaks.

Date: Saturday 27th of July
Time: from 12 o'clock
Place: St. John’s Church
Address: Near Hoxton Market, Pitfield Street, N1 6NP
Nearest Tube: Hoxton on Overground Line
Location Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/FGbyuuTjFPs9q3Uo9
The Festival: https://wrp.org.uk/events/young-sociali ... -festival/

Friday 23rd of August 2019 6-8pm JADC meeting

Our JADC organising meeting for August, join us to review actions and plan new ones. August is a quiet month but September is a busy one so pull your socks up, bring your ideas and join this informal meeting for members of JADC. We are trying a new venue.

Date/Time: Friday 23rd of August 6-8pm
Place: Royal Festival Hall Building, Level 4, Blue Bar, South Bank Centre
Address: Southbank Centre, Belvedere Road, London SE1 8XX Nearest Tube: Embankment (District/Circle Lines), Waterloo (Jubilee)
Instructions on how to get there: https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/visit/getting-here

Saturday 24th of August 2019 2-4pm Protest & canvassing

Join our protest against Julian Assange's US Extradition as we move our solidarity actions to East London. We shall chant for his freedom, distribute flyers and engage with the public over a two hour action, outside Stratford Tube station.

The Day/Time: Sat 24th of Aug between 2-4pm
The Place: Stratford Tube station
Address: Station Street, London, E15 1AZ
Nearest Tube: Stratford (on Central and Jubilee Lines)

Bring posters banners and let's spread the word for his freedom.

“The days when I could read and speak and organize to defend myself, my ideals, and my people are over until I am free! Everyone else must take my place.”

— Julian Assange, from Belmarsh Prison

In solidarity!

JADC (Julian Assange Defence Committee)
Grassroots solidarity for the WikiLeaks editor
JADC@protonmail.ch
Stardust wrote:The website opens, but not the video.
Please share your thoughts with us after watching it. Does the program portray Assange as a hero, or else..?

Thanks.

The program lets you make your own decision up. The Wikileaks team give great interviews in it. It also presents the views of a few major detractors.

The documentary has been uploaded to YouTube:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...We have bottomless pockets and Russia does not[…]

@Godstud What is going to change? I thought t[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving […]

Seeing that this place is filled to the brim with […]