NHL 2012 Playoff Predictions Thread - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Brio wrote:Congratulations Lensky, on getting an 8 out of possible 8 points this round (I should have gone with my first instincts).

Thank you. :D

I believe I am going to predict that the Kings will win in 6.

Surprised that the scores are so close. By the way, this is the 100th reply to this thread.
Fucking Devils.

Anyway, Kings in 5...(I hope). Better Flyers west than these assholes winning yet again.

The Devils don't even sell out their stadium... :hmm: The Kings aren't much better either, for that matter.
Amazing. So for the first time, a seed lower than 5th will take the Championship.

The odds of it happening again in the next 50 years? Less than 1%.

I'll see you suckers next year.

Oh and to round out my predictions, I'm picking Jersey in 5.
R_G wrote:Amazing. So for the first time, a seed lower than 5th will take the Championship.

The odds of it happening again in the next 50 years? Less than 1%.

If you were to put money on that, I'd gladly take that bet for the following reasons:

1) The league has achieved a lot more parity amongst it's teams since the lock-out, due to the salary cap. You can't afford to keep a superstar team together for long, like the Avalanche, Red Wings etc. were able to do in years past.

2) The divisions are not equal and you get at least a third seed for winning your division. In this year's playoffs New Jersey had 102 points (tied with second seeded Boston in that) and had 8 more points than it's first round opponent Florida (who was seeded third for winning their division). As you can see, New Jersey was a much better team in the regular season than their sixth seed would show.

3) All you need is good team chemistry and a hot goaltender to go far in the playoffs, regardless of your seed entering it. For example the 2004 Calgary Flames were seeded sixth, but went to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final (would have probably won it if the controversial no-goal call on Gelinas was allowed in Game 6). Edmonton also went to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final in 2006, despite being seeded 8th. If there are two examples of teams with low seeds being a lucky bounce away from the cup, the odds are that another team will do it in the next 50 years.

Oh and I'm picking the LA Kings in 6 for my prediction.
Congratulations to Lensky for his breathtaking performance at the last round. For the finals, I'm going to say Kings in 4.
Its unethical to play the game that way. Its for fun, therefore I pick what I think/hope will happen not what would work best for me strategically. :)

Also I would rather let my mother's soul burn than pick the Devils for anything, even if it costs me PoFo pickem rep!
Demosthenes wrote:Its for fun, therefore I pick what I think/hope will happen not what would work best for me strategically.

Right, well that hasn't been working. How about just assuming that the opposite of what you think must be right? Also, don't hope. Take emotions out of the equation. I'm wondering if I've done fairly well because I'm not all that emotionally invested. Sports fans can be rather blind and passionate. :hmm:
Yeah, it's all about fun really. I've made wild guesses throughout the whole series and I got some good results. Hell, I didn't even watch most of the games (mostly because I didn't like most of the teams). I just follow my instinct!
Lensky1917 wrote:I'm wondering if I've done fairly well because I'm not all that emotionally invested. Sports fans can be rather blind and passionate.
Last (NFL) season came down to Oxy and myself, Oxy is/was passionate and I was purely statistical, so it can work either way.
Last edited by U184 on 29 May 2012 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Lensky1917 wrote: I'm wondering if I've done fairly well because I'm not all that emotionally invested. Sports fans can be rather blind and passionate.

I just have fun with it Lensky. I always pick the Flyers (and end up losing...) and I never pick the fucking Devils! :knife: :knife: :knife:

:lol:

Its still all in fun though, but also, I admit much harder for me than picking NFL teams. I have a hard time reading NHL playoff momentum like I can in the NFL.
In an NHL thread KFlint wrote:Last season came down to Oxy and myself

:eh:

Last season came down to Godstud and I; with Godstud winning and me placing second. Maybe you should have prefaced your post with what sport this was, because it wasn't hockey.

Demosthenes wrote:I always pick the Flyers (and end up losing...)

That is because they are a loser team (losers since 1975, huzzah!) cheered on by a bunch of degenerates.

Demosthenes wrote:and I never pick the fucking Devils!

And you wonder why you consistently do so badly in the NHL Pofo pool...

Demosthenes wrote:I have a hard time reading NHL playoff momentum like I can in the NFL.

How much momentum can really be had when the Superbowl winner only plays 3, at most 4, games?

Seriously though, if you want to get better at picking, watch more games. Not just games of your favourite team too. I based my picks on watching a lot of games (I'm Canadian so every playoff game is televised) and seeing how each team was playing.

Also, for the winner of this, will there be a signature prize like there was last year?
KFlint wrote:Last (NFL) season came down to Oxy and myself, Oxy is/was passionate and I was purely statistical, so it can work either way.

I think Oxy was passionate to the point where he knew everything. :|

And I believe the Giants showed how good they were last year when they beat the Packers who had been undefeated until then. I forget where I placed. :hmm:

Demosthenes wrote:I just have fun with it Lensky. I always pick the Flyers (and end up losing...)

Maybe we should do a NASCAR version of these. You could pick Dale Jr. :evil:

Brio wrote:That is because they are a loser team (losers since 1975, huzzah!) cheered on by a bunch of degenerates.

:lol:

I would've added that their arteries are clogged with cheesesteak.

Brio wrote:Also, for the winner of this, will there be a signature prize like there was last year?

I don't know, you're the one who's probably going to win. You tell me. Who made it last year? KFlint isn't participating, but I'm sure he'd make one if asked. :hmm:

Can they just catch all the bits with a giant bag[…]

They are not mutually exclusive. Note that this e[…]

Source Besides the obvious failures of this […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Also in some other good news, Russia will soon dep[…]