Canadian Dollar Question - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Tigerlily
Today I read in the newspaper that the Canadian dollar is worth 70cents (American). Is that good or bad? I'm getting mixed answers from people. Some people are telling me that is good because our dollar is getting stronger while others are saying that it means $1.00 US now equals $1.70CDN (and that's not good).

I really don't know what's right.

Does anybody understand how it works? And what does UP 70¢ in the newspaper really mean?

:moron: I feel stupid but it's bugging me and I have to know.
By Boondock Saint
baby.

The US $ is worth more then the Canadian $ ... meaning I can go to Canada and get more bang for my US buck.

1.00 US now equals $1.70CDN

Is that what it means? I am terrible at math ... so the conversion doesnt make sense to me ...

But if one Canadian dollar is worth 70 US cents ... then ... oh lord .. I dont know .. its math and conversion ...

One US $ = 1.42 Canadian.

Conversion site
By FCP
I don't know that theres a single answer to whether it's good or bad, as it's both good and bad. If the dollar is higher then Canadians have greater purchasing power parity and importers thrive because they can get more bang for their buck. If the Canadian dollar is lower it's good for tourism and exports -- which our economy is largely based on. After all, look at the size of our market, 30 some odd million people, that's not a big market relative to other places, especially the one below the 49th parallel. Although from a nationalists point of view, politically, we need a strong independent currency for the nation, regardless of economics.

Personally I think a good value for the Canadian Peso is in the neighbourhood of 75-80 cents US.
By Adrien
Sorry to invite myself on your forum for a non-constructive comment. ;)

We have the same "debate" here about the fact that the Euro doesn't want to go under the US Dollar: we say it's good because we beat the americans, but on the other hand it's not good for the import/export.

Bah, i don't know a thing at economics.
By FCP
I wonder to what extent national sovreignty -- if at all -- is eroded by the adoption of a common currency? No doubt a question Britons have. Or conversely to what extent a common European currency forges a "new European identity" -- if at all.
US Presidential election 2024 thread.

Vaccines are life-saving.... or are they deadly? […]

@FiveofSwords Why will an accountant make a be[…]

What do the tweets say? Read them? They have ex[…]

Dude, YouTube is your source? You are not a serio[…]