single currency; good, bad or ugly? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Adrien
Euro made it, so it could be possible afterall.

But not worldwide in one time, countries should join one after the other to let time for the economies to accept it.
By scorchedCCCP
There are countries, in Africa for instance, that still use the barter system, because they don't have governments that are stable enough to develop a currency. Either that, or the government is changing constantly and the entire country is ravaged by AIDS... What a drag.
By TUC
I like the Euro :) I can go to amsterdam and buy dope without even having to change my currency form Deutsch Marks to funny money (take a look at the guilders they used to have there....you always felt you were stoned with all those bright colors....although the euro is ugly too...
By TUC
Yes why? :eh:
By Tigerlily
Some countries economy is too low for it. It wouldn't be good for individual economies.

Plus, we'd probably end up using some American desgined bill with GOD BLESS AMERICA written all over it.

Plus, I like my Canadian money. Where else in the world will you find a country that names their dollar coins "loonie" (1 dollar) and "toonie" (2 dollars)?
By TUC
jo baby_n1 I dont agree with that....if the americans design the bill they would not put "God bless America" all over it......

JUST REALY BIG ON THE FRONT!

but what is the front :eh: so lets better put it on boths sides like that so people cant just turn the bill around and not see it :D
By The_Communist_Threat
An international currency would be a good idea....

And if the U$ wanted to put "god bless america" on it...then the bill should also list contradictions and "lies" from the bible....i'd say it would be an even trade...
By CasX
There has been some talk about making a currency for Australia AND New Zealand, or just using Aussie currency in NZ, but it hasn't came to much.
By the SovieT
call me hypocrat and capitalist but i kinda like the Euro... :shame:
By Il Porko
A world currency is based on the idea that a single currency would work. The most reccent attempt at a supra national, single currency is the Euro. It doesn't work :D

I'll toss out a few reasons for the difficulties associated with the Euro. The one size fits nobody monetary policy. Risk of localised hyper inflation, especially in the smaller countries. The risk of Eurozone deflation.

Tied in with the Euro is the GSP, which relaets to fiscla policy. The Euro is a tool used in monetary policy implementation, while the GSP is the fiscal policy equivilent. Flaws? yeah... the three percent limit on the general govt deficit as a percentage of GDP, in expansionary fiscal policiy, except in cases of extreme recession. The lack of local flexibility in a centrally governed system... Need I go on?

It's also fair to say that many people would not want to give up their local currency. Italy, for instance, showed intense, and sustained resistence to the Euro. Denmark refused to enter, while the Govt managed to push through membership of ERM 2. Sweden said 'No to the Euro'. Britain may never enter.

The Euro is a flawed currency, and if it's the rationale for a single currency, then the future of that currency doesn't look too good.
By Steve
we sure are!

I think it's at 68 cents US or so! we haven't been there since 1998!

:lol:
By Necro99
Denarius all the way!
PAX ROMANA!!!
By Yeddi
AHhh.. i LOVE newzealand money... well at least some of it... it is worth abit less than the Aussie but the coin sizes and weights are nearly exactly the same eg. 20cent coin... that means vending machines accept it :D so u can get food for less :muha1:
By CasX
You cheap bastard :p

I don't think you'd be saving much now, I cashed in $20 AUS the other day and only got about $21 something.
By Comrade Serb
World wide currency, as well as world government, world nation and others cosmopolitan utopias can't be made TODAY because every civilization differs too much form the rest and there would be allways someone who is against world's integration. Noone wants to lose their culture, and there is a big problem with landuages.
and what's gona be drawn on these money? world? he he and what would be title logo for this "world's country" ? No, I don't think that everyone would like to forget their national currency! I will never exchange rooble to dollar (in global understanding). Besides 75% of all wealth are kept in USA and Europe so making world's currency would make all the rest western slaves ! NO WAY ! I don't want to see how Russians will work on western pigs ! NO NO NO! No "world's culture, country or currency"! Because TODAY synonim for "world's ..." is "american..."

Trump was courting $1 Billion from oil companies, […]

When I say there is no country for white people, […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

You’re seriously claiming that the fact that the […]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iupfxe38Wj0 Tr[…]