The Opening of Parliament (MPs Only) - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Oxymoron
So we are communist now? Even though the majority of people voted for non Communist parties WOW, some logic there ingliz.
By ingliz
We are not communists but I am sure like Chile we will be branded as such if it serve the US's interest
By Oxymoron
I dont understand why we cant be in sync with American interests as Europe is. We can capitalize on our position in the Atlantic if we increase our closeness with the US. I dont want to be Venezuala.
By Zyx
As I understand it, we fought against the U.S.' puppet regime. I suppose that one can make friends after a rebellion, see Mugabe, but that often means selling the integrity of the rebellion, see Mugabe.
By HoniSoit
Is there a history of our relations with the US and Europe?

I don't think we are initiating an aggressive stance against either; the issue in my opinion is whether the US and Europe would see us as a threat.
By Demosthenes
Oxymoron wrote:I dont understand why we cant be in sync with American interests as Europe is. We can capitalize on our position in the Atlantic if we increase our closeness with the US. I dont want to be Venezuala.

And I don't particularly understand what the attraction to America really should be. As for Venezuala...heh...my avatar says it all.

HoniSoit wrote:Is there a history of our relations with the US and Europe?

The US pretty much backed and aided our former dictator. We have historical ties to Scandanavia, and I thought select parts of Europe, including the UK, though I'm not sure where else.

Zyx wrote:As I understand it, we fought against the U.S.' puppet regime. I suppose that one can make friends after a rebellion, see Mugabe, but that often means selling the integrity of the rebellion, see Mugabe.

Yeah...there is that.
By Oxymoron
And I don't particularly understand what the attraction to America really should be. As for Venezuala...heh...my avatar says it all.

They are the most powerful nation, and we gian more by being friends with them rather then enemies. I would personally bust your Avatar in the face with a Chainsaw nothing personal :|
By Dr House
Potemkin wrote:America is truly a more fucked-up place than I thought. :eek:

I think Americans can take solace, however, in the fact that try as it might no nation can ever be as fucked-up as Japan.
By Potemkin
I think Americans can take solace, however, in the fact that try as it might no nation can ever be as fucked-up as Japan.

Dat true. :hmm:
By ingliz
We are just being prudent; we are armed but neutral; Demo has secured aid from the US Economic Support Fund under the "countries in transition to democracy" programme, as well as technical assistance from the EU, which we are not refusing; we are everyone's friend and no-one's enemy. :)
Last edited by ingliz on 27 May 2009 09:40, edited 2 times in total.
By Oxymoron
we are armed but neutral; Demo has secured aid for PoFo under the "countries in transition to democracy" programme from the US Economic Support Fund as well as technical assistance from the EU which we are not refusing; we are everyone's friend and noone's enemy

We cannot be everyones friend, we have to choose sides and I say we side with the more powerful.
By ingliz
Why? We are on a par with Portugal, why should we try to be the world's policeman or should I say the US's deputy sheriff.
By Zagadka
Why? We are on a par with Portugal, why should we try to be the world's policeman or should I say the US's deputy sheriff.

QFT, especially for our early nation building.
By Demosthenes
Oxymoron wrote:I would personally bust your Avatar in the face with a Chainsaw nothing personal

The shame is that you would do this knowing nothing more than what you've heard on US radio and tee vee.

The Swiss model suits us best, I think, with concessions toward Ingliz's views on defence, w/ FallenRaptor's views on intelligence.
By MB.
falx wrote:All conflicts between first and second world countries have shown that navies are completely irrelevant to the equation when it comes to defence

you're SO wrong my 2 cents
By Figlio di Moros
ingliz wrote:We are just being prudent; we are armed but neutral; Demo has secured aid from the US Economic Support Fund under the "countries in transition to democracy" programme, as well as technical assistance from the EU, which we are not refusing; we are everyone's friend and noone's enemy. :)

And yet you discuss a nuke for no other purpose than threatening the United States' eastern seaboard? I believe we should keep in mind armed nuetrality, but that peaceful relations with obiously much more powerful nations is better for us. We need not be anymore the worlds "deputy sheriff" than any number of nations; specifically speaking, what would we gain through nuclear armiment other than sour relations with a nation which would likely spend billions of dollars on our goods through our currently intended stance?

To the rest: I said it once, but I'd like to reiterate the importance of special forces. A particularly well-trained forces could not be produced in times of war and would be ever incredibly more effecient in times of civil unrest.
By Oxymoron
The shame is that you would do this knowing nothing more than what you've heard on US radio and tee vee.

I listen to NPR on the radio so I doubt I gained my dislike of him from there.
I just dislike other nations leaders calling our elected leader a Devil, in a representative Republic that means he is calling all of us devils. I dont like being called a Devil, nor Gringo.
By Figlio di Moros
Oxymoron wrote:I listen to NPR on the radio so I doubt I gained my dislike of him from there.
I just dislike other nations leaders calling our elected leader a Devil, in a representative Republic that means he is calling all of us devils. I dont like being called a Devil, nor Gringo.

Still better than Chef Boy-R-dee
By Demosthenes
Oxymoron wrote:I listen to NPR on the radio so I doubt I gained my dislike of him from there.

Well fair enough, but we've done far worse than that in return...At least, supposedly... :eek:

Still, why does it matter who calls us what? Are we that insecure?

So which white race do you belong to? Well my an[…]

Note that my argument does not centre around not[…]

In order for me to believe someone is being sarca[…]

This morning, International Criminal Court Prosec[…]