Game Changes, Updates, Everything else!!! (Comments Welcome) - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Falx
Whether or not we should hold a new election depends on whether it's good for the game.

What is good for the game is that it is fun to play, and I had more fun in the election than in the however many weeks limbo we have had since then. As such the best thing that could happen to this game is another election.
By HoniSoit
Falx wrote:I had more fun

Just because you had more fun during the election, it doesn't mean everyone else can put up with a new election only a couple of weeks after the last one.
By Falx
Just because you had more fun during the election, it doesn't mean everyone else can put up with a new election only a couple of weeks before the last one.

Maybe they should play pretend at something else rather than politics, might I suggest ponies?
By Donna
What about the status of PUC?

That kind of forces new elections.
By Falx
Yes, that is one major reason to hold elections. We can't just pretend that a 1/10 of parliament simply does not exist and does not vote.
By Demosthenes
That is the one issue we have, I'll admit, that makes this difficult to continue as is...the fact that the PUC dissolved.

Still, Honi believes we should move forward first, and we may as well. SLD has 72 hours to propose something. If they cannot the next largest party gets their chance, which I think is SN. If they can't after 72 hours, then I think it's Dave's Party.

At that point, if nothing can be passed, we can go on with new elections.
By Gnote
So what should be the requirements of the initial legislation?
By Donna
Demosthenes, what do you think of my idea to create a head of state? We need a Hindenburg.
By HoniSoit
Donald wrote:That kind of forces new elections.

Not necessarily.

We only count votes that are actually cast. So for a legislation to pass, it would only need 51 percent of the votes that have been cast.

Also, the reason a lot of people stop posting is because the game is stalled. We may expect people to come back once we finally open the parliament.
By Falx
If they can't after 72 hours, then I think it's Dave's Party.

Actually after the SN it's my parties turn.

I think that should be fun.

Demosthenes, what do you think of my idea to create a head of state? We need a Hindenburg.

No don, we do not need a Hitler afterwards.

Ok, since all the GMs are here let me ask again. Who appointed you as gods of parliament and how does one apply for your position. Seeing as that I'm sitting on the third largest party in parliament now yet we have no voice in the new GM thread I'd like some clarification.
By Demosthenes
It isn't bad really, and I like it in principle, but I think it's something that a ruling government should try to pass first.

Beyond that, I think the scope of the game is open to any changes in its format that any ruling government can pass.

Anyone know how many votes/MPs the PUC originally had?

As for the GM council, you need to read the threads where I created this group.

Being the head of a party had nothing to do with it. I choose three of them based on my view that they could act in the best interests of the game as opposed to the best interests of their various parties. Vanaslaus had the same comments you had.

At any rate the other two were suggested by the others.

The point was to save the game, not to institute yet-another layer of controversy.

The nice thing however, is that anything the GM/council decide can be overturned or changed by any ruling government. If/When they take power.
By Donna
Falx wrote:No don, we do not need a Hitler afterwards.

It was a joke. Why do you take everything so seriously? Is it Asperger's? It must be Asperger's. That explains your mathematical abilities, too.

Demosthenes wrote:It isn't bad really, and I like it in principle, but I think it's something that a ruling government should try to pass first.

Beyond that, I think the scope of the game is open to any changes in its format that any ruling government can pass.

I think it would be nice revival for the game if we held elections for a head of state. It would be simple and fun, and it would bring people back into the fold.

Anyone know how many votes/MPs the PUC originally had?

PUC and PUC-L together had 13 votes in the election, and I believe the number of seats were rounded off to 14 using D'Hondt. I don't think we ever really discussed seat distribution among the party before it went belly up.
By Demosthenes
So, by the current method of 100 seats, that means only 86 total votes.

However, motions shall pass on 50% +1 basis. We'll see what the SLD can do in the meantime.
By Gnote
I actually think that a new election might be the most appropriate way of going about this. For two reasons:

1) It will get rid of all the ambiguity around which parties have how many seats and such.

2) It might spark some new enthusiasm in the game.
By ingliz
I would agree if a new constitution that rewards participation is ratified before fresh elections are called. The interim document is unworkable as it stands. Why bother with new elections if we still have the same problems afterwards? I propose the SLD sits but only to work out the game's flaws, it introduces no legislation, and then calls fresh elections.
Last edited by ingliz on 04 May 2009 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
By Falx
It was a joke. Why do you take everything so seriously? Is it Asperger's? It must be Asperger's. That explains your mathematical abilities, too.

Or it could be that android chip I had installed, come the machine revolution I will laugh so hard at both sides thinking I'm one of them.

I actually think that a new election might be the most appropriate way of going about this. For two reasons:

This man speaks sense, this man should also ditch the new PUC made out of the rotting body of the SLD.
By Gnote
I also agree with Ingliz, though. A constitution needs to be in place before we have new elections.

Why not just have the GM council draft a straw dog constitution? Parliament can amend it afterwards if it doesn't like it.
By Falx
Lovely, so another arbitrary group of people will draw that up. How about nothing out side of:

"Parliament is to be formed by the party that can get most votes in support of a government headed by it"

I don't think anything else is necessary for a first constitution to get a government going.
By Gnote
What about seats in parliament, and all that jazz?

What option would I choose? I would force them to[…]

This is frankly pathetic, you should be embarrass[…]

ICC prosecutor seeks arrest warrant for both Netan[…]

With great fanfare, Joe Biden confirmed on 8 Ma[…]