THP - Page 23 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Falx
Van, being second most senior member, can you take over the party for a week or two?
There are some problems I need to take care of in rl and I haven't been around much.

Feel free to take any initiatives that you think are worthy of enjoyment, the many gods I don't believe in know that this game needs something to make it playable again.
By Tailz
This game is still going on?

It needs some action.... some drama....

I vote THP goes rogue and attempts to take over the government.

Viva the (insert cause)!
By Falx
It needs some action.... some drama....

Tell me about it... :hmm:
By Andres
Falx wrote:Ideas that will stroke more than a few nerves in game:
Personally I think all of these would be awesome but 5 and 6 hold particular favour in my heart.

How about we make the electronvolt the official and only unit of measurement? Of the list I'm more for number 4, but I don't know how many nerves it will stroke. Number 1 could also be a realistic bill that would be contentious.
By Falx
Never! Every paper I've tried to read that used the electron volt as the unit of measurement went something like "and at ** KeV the process took ** MeV to occur releasing **KeV of energy..." :knife: and you know I'm not making this up.

Anyway, to get an idea where our party stands I would appericate if members posted their last political compass scores here, since stuff is decided democratically I'll just average the score and call it the official party position.

To be the ball rolling mine is:
-4 economic
-5 freedom
By Doomhammer
Rounded up score:

Economics: +1
Social/Political: -1
By Falx
It looks like the legislation that is causing the most debate is the adoption of the Metric system. Unfortunately for Andres and myself no one else seems to think that some more fundamental system is needed.
By Thunderhawk
The rost is a perfectly good unit of length. Why you want a system with out it is astounding..

I am interested in the Natural units. Sufficiently interested that I believe it should be our official system. Though we'll have to choose which one exactly (and by we, I mean Andres and Falx show us/me which is better).

If people want to use Metres or imperial - fine by me. Officially, we should use natural units!

- to my fellow THP members, what is THP about? Is it not about criticizing and removing harmfull and wasteful legislation and supporting that which is best, as provable through the scientific method?

I believe that our party should support natural units. Not because they are easy or the norm (they are neither) but because it is a good base for which to build our scientifically minded society - what better way to say to the world we are developing, they to adopt a measurement system which is ahead of every one elses?

Let SI and Imperial be used unofficially however the people want, but officially we, Pofo, and THP specifically should support and use natural units.

Thankyou for your time.
By Andres
I am interested in the Natural units. Sufficiently interested that I believe it should be our official system. Though we'll have to choose which one exactly (and by we, I mean Andres and Falx show us/me which is better).

If people want to use Metres or imperial - fine by me. Officially, we should use natural units!
In natural units certain physical constants are set to a specific value, usually 1. For example, if one sets the speed of light to 1, then the unit of time is defined in terms of the unit of distance, or the reverse, e.g. one second is then defined as the time it takes light to travel ~3*10^8 meters. If one keeps doing this with other constants, eventually one runs out of units of measurement that one can set. If done to the limit of possibility, one is left with only one unit of measurement in which everything is measured. In high energy physics the unit chosen is usually energy, and particularly in terms of the electronvolt.

As to one to choose exactly, Planck units would be my choice: "Planck units hold pride of place among systems of natural units, because they do not invoke any properties (specifically, the charge, mass, spin, or orbital radius) of any elementary particle"

I believe that our party should support natural units. Not because they are easy or the norm (they are neither) but because it is a good base for which to build our scientifically minded society - what better way to say to the world we are developing, they to adopt a measurement system which is ahead of every one elses?
Indeed.
By Falx
Plank units are indeed the best standard all around, unless we start building technology that was clearly based on relativity.

Seeing as only pms have posted in the last few pages of the thread and voted in the booth I think it is best that we just vote which ever we see fit with the relavent discussion. Until such a time as any non pm posts here and demands a vote I see no point in needless book keeping.
By Thunderhawk
Agreed, though debate is still good. Especially if its with less influence from others.
By Falx
I agree, we need more time to debate and less gung ho voting. It's not a problem since the pms all have vaguely the same interests on the current issues but for the next election we will need to have at least some sort of system to attract voters. I think that what I just proposed is the best way to deal with it in the short term.
By ingliz
We are attempting to introduce a bill defining the Kilogram and other SI units.

If you feel defining the kilogram is possible using natural units we would be happy to incorporate them into the new bill but, from what little I've read, it is technically impossible to verify mass at this time using a watt balance.
By Falx
It is impossible in the same way that it is impossible to define the meter taken from the meter stick to some fraction of the speed of light. Just assign an arbitrary number that is close enough to weight that is held in Paris and use that as the definition of the kilogram. It has the added benefit that the unit that is a kilogram stays fixed the better we become at measuring weights instead of continually fluctuating around it's true point.
By ingliz
The problem is that that would mean our standards differ from the rest of world's which is a problem
By Falx
So we promise to house the next particle accellerator and have some ties with European fundamental science, which is superb at the moment, and we simply ask that the BIPM "take into consideration" our "request" to peg the KG to that. There are enough problems with the current weight that the scientific community won't be hard to sway, it's just that no one country cares enough about this to do anything at all internationally.
By Doomhammer
Where do we stand regarding the Arbitration Act?

Should we vote on it?

Personally, it sounds good but I'm fairly indifferent to it.
By Thunderhawk
I dislike the amount of power it gives the government, and there doesnt seem to be much in the way of an appeal process.

Who appoints the Arbitars?
How do we ensure the arbitars will be impartial?

I rather the government support the idea of arbitration and financially support the process, but NOT make it mandatory. As the party in power when its established they will have a huge impact on who is hired. It will allow the rulling government to establish a power base that perpetuates their ideology onto the business world even if/after they are removed from running the government.
By Doomhammer
So, it seems like an invitation to clientelism? :|

@FiveofSwords Why will an accountant make a be[…]

What do the tweets say? Read them? They have ex[…]

Dude, YouTube is your source? You are not a serio[…]

World War II Day by Day

They are words that will always ring true. So lo[…]