DEE Program Consulation - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Zagadka
I have three programs the Department of Environment and Energy (or Energy and Environment, I swing both ways) is planning on starting. These are all within the budget given me, but I encourage feedback.

The first is the GEM 1 project. To prevent any losses, we will be starting small scale - contacting out to Iceland to develop three geothermal plants, small, medium, and large. University students interested may apply for internships which would put them in an extremely advantageous place if/when the program expands, as well as any domestic companies who would wish to enter bids. This pilot program will run for no more than three years, within which time we will decide how much further to invest in this technology. One thing in place now is that no more than 75% of our geothermal hotspots will be tapped; the remainder will be worked into national parks. Smaller subsidies will go to using photovoltaic power systems on a university level, where further research will take place.

The second is the construction of the modern railway structure. To save money, we will be using Standard Gauge rails with an electronic third rail. The first phase of rollouts will be connecting the major cities/industrial/agricultural areas. We will be buying land and selling space at station stops to balance each other. The rail system put in place at this time will be a "backbone" that handles long-distance passenger travel and commercial/industrial transit.

The third is a project that will not take much from the budget. It is called Canopy, and the purpose is to essentially put rooftop gardens on major structures. These are cheap to install and operate, they can provide some fresh fruit in cities, captures rainwater for more efficient usage, and makes use of space that would usually be reflecting sunlight, reducing temperatures in the city. The most complex part of this project is the plumbing, and that would pay for itself in providing water - especially in large structures, where it would usually have to be pumped up.

Finally, I will be drawing up commercial fishing licenses with limits. These won't be much different than other North Atlantic nations. I will also suggest that we accept the Kyoto Protocol. This would actually work for us, by integrating our nation into the international grid... that is, they would be investing in helping us where needed.
By Doomhammer
I am glad there is no mention of wind power and I guess we're delaying tidal power and whatnot until the technology for it is a bit cheaper?
lol

Leaving the aside, methinks your proposal is excellent.
The most complex part of this project is the plumbing, and that would pay for itself in providing water

Would we necessarily even have to pay for that? We can just pay for public buildings and leave the rest to private constructions firms, which would have to make the necessary adjustments to all new projects.
By Thunderhawk
Roof top gardens can be designed for filtration, but considering the size and other limitations the water produced wont be drinking quality. It could be Grey water.

The biggest advantages of rooftop gardens is reducing heat island affects and spreading out over time water flow surges from rainstorms.
By Zagadka
I am glad there is no mention of wind power and I guess we're delaying tidal power and whatnot until the technology for it is a bit cheaper?

Precisely. Also, I don't want to open more projects than can be managed, which is why GEM comes in steps.

Roof top gardens can be designed for filtration, but considering the size and other limitations the water produced wont be drinking quality. It could be Grey water.

The biggest advantages of rooftop gardens is reducing heat island affects and spreading out over time water flow surges from rainstorms.

I agree 100%. Non-potable water can be useful, and studies have shown drastic reductions in heat and lower levels of flooding... not to mention CO2 reductions. I do not plan to spend much subsidizing on this, or push for any requirements (other than standard safety precautions).

In the future, I don't think it would be too far from the truth to imagine large buildings with rooftop gardens and small VAWTs, which creates park land in the middle of cities and provides green benefits.

The thing I worry about most is buying land for the railways. It would be best to run them along highways, but we estimated 0.1% population disruption. A 20-40' strip of land may not seem like much, but it can cut through property, which will irritate many people. On the other thand, placing train stations will bring an upsurge of local investment and growth. I think it balances out.

That is all I am considering for now. No bullet trains, since the railway would also be used for industrial/agricultural transit. I have not ruled out the use of monorails or other types of trains in city-scale projects, but even doing this backbone system will take time.

@FiveofSwords wasn’t claiming that it does; his[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]