No Confidence in Howard - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
By Proctor
The Australian Parliment has just passed a vote of no confidence in Prime Minister John Howard over his stance on Iraq, amidst scandal that he would not be able to withdraw warships if diplomacy broke down.

I must say, this is a great achievement for the peace process. I don't know all the details though, so maybe Yeddi can fill us in.
By Yeddi
Sure thing Proctor.
Anyway, as some may know Australia has a bicameral system based on the lovely Westminster. This vote of no confidence was passed by only the Upper house (the Senate). I would like to remind you all now that this vote means NOTHIG...it does not mean that the uber-dictator (VR speak) Howard is out of office. He could only be out if the Lower house voted against him.. in that case the ALP (Australian 'Labour' party) would gain control of the Lower house and would install Simon Crean as the new Prime Minister of Australia.

This vote isn't really important to the sceme of things, but it is nice to see the people represented in parliament for a change.(only 6% or something support a US only attack,.... less than 40% or something support a UN attack) Howard of course doesn't care... he once said that he "would not be swayed by public opinion" WTF... are we a democracy? (don't answer that ;) )

As this is fairly new news i mayu have got some points wrong.... i'll give an update tomoz if things change round, when i have time enough to read the papers.

article

[update new info.... the vote of no confidence was begun in the lower house.. my mistake... it was defeated there.. but NOT defeated in the Upper house....;)
here
By sokath
In Canada, if vote of non-confidence passes, then there has to be an election almost immediately. What's the deal in Australia?

S./
By Yeddi
If a vote of no confidence passes through the lower house... doesn't have to be upper house. we have a new government.

The government is defined as the party/coalition that has the support of 50%+1 of the House of Representatives (lower house) so if a v.n.c passes, that support is obviously not their, if another coalition/party can show they have 50%+1 they become the government and their appointed leader... Simon Crean (leader of the Australian Labour Party)most likely.
So there isn't actually an election.
By bobby
Howard is doing what is right in Iraq although I do wonder, Australia is not a permanent member, they are not even on the security council so they dont really have a responsibility to make sure UN Resolutions are upheld in the same way countries like Britain and America do.

I think J, Winston Howbush wants to be a deputy with his own CIA badge to run the South East Pacific in Americas name and the Gnome is trying to win favour with America to do just that.
By The_Communist_Threat
It's a shame nothing like that will ever happen with bush...it is said to see a man who wasn't elected to office doing what he is doing now....

I'm glad to see the australians have a different standpoint on this topic :)
By llegovski
Howard is doing what is right in Iraq

Yeah, we should kill all those ragheads- hey at least we're acting morally. :eh:
By Jesse
Maintaining control of Canada's government is quite precarious, as Mr. Clarke saw :lol:

The prosecutor will need to explain why is it that[…]

If your argument centers around not believing in […]

https://i.ibb.co/Bs37t8b/canvas-moral[…]

I was being sarcastic, @FiveofSwords . Hitler wa[…]