Does the mistreatment of Aborigines warrant compensation? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
anarchist23 wrote:Red carpet.Constitution of Australia.
Section 25.permits any State to disqualify persons of any particular race from voting.
Section 51.empowers federal government to pass laws in regards "people of particular race"

I was not aware of either of those sections. Just goes to show the attitudes at the time the constitution was rewritten. It doesn't seem to have much ideological content other than the racism (for example, rights don't seem to feature, apart from state rights and religious freedom). Perhaps it needs to be rewritten?

Decky wrote:Whas mistreatment that is what I want to know? They have good modern medicene, technology, all the benefits of civilisation bough over form Europe all they have do do is reach out and take them.

OK, so you have to try to put yourself in their shoes. Let me start with an example I witnessed.

A Kurri fellow was sitting on the curb near a bus stop minding his own busines. Along came a white fellow dressed in a suit and sporting a trendy crew cut hair do. The white fellow went out of his way and kicked the Kurri fellow sitting on the curb. The white fellow then shouted at the Kurri to get out of his way.

So, imagine if everyday you stepped out the front door (many Kurri are homeless so they don't actually have a front door, but just for the sake of this example, lets accept you do have a front door), you are stepping out into a very hostile environment. Had you grown up with this, you would have a very low self esteem, little confidence in those 'others' offering a sort of help which you don't understand anyway, and your most pressing concern in where to sleep, how to get something to eat, and how to avoid the situtations I illustrated above.

Sure, services exist for Kurri people. But it is often the case that they face circumstances that make it very difficult to take advantage of the help on offer. If the broader community were to back off from the prejudice, then I think more progress could happen, but with much time being needed as a good deal of communal recovery will need to take place. Kurri are the best people to help Kurri, and it will also take time for the numbers of Kurri able to do the helping to accumulate.

Swagman's ideas are simply unrealistic. Kurri can't be forced into help, nor should help not be provided on the grounds progress does satisfy the white fellas. It just has to be there, and be there for the long term, without constant judgement, condemnation or hand wringing on the behalf of the colonials.
foxdemon wrote:A Kurri fellow was sitting on the curb near a bus stop minding his own busines. Along came a white fellow dressed in a suit and sporting a trendy crew cut hair do. The white fellow went out of his way and kicked the Kurri fellow sitting on the curb. The white fellow then shouted at the Kurri to get out of his way.

...and what did the police do after you reported it?

foxdemon wrote:Swagman's ideas are simply unrealistic. Kurri can't be forced into help

Where did I say that?

foxdemon wrote:Kurri are the best people to help Kurri, and it will also take time for the numbers of Kurri able to do the helping to accumulate.

Watch out or Anarchist will be calling you racist for saying that?
Swagman wrote:

The victim had no trust for the police so the incident wasn't reported.

Swagman wrote:Where did I say that?

Just a few examples:

Re: stolen generations....

Yes you already said that. And so were lot's of non-aboriginal children. The Govt of the day deemed that it was in their best welfare. The Govt of today still does it when the child's welfare is at threat. I do condone it, because it is the right thing to do.

Re: access to services.....

I'm saying that it is a completely natural process for individuals (particularly the younger generations) to gravitate towards a 'culture' that they are more comfortable with (makes their life easier to live) and therefore that more popular culture will dominate whilst the less popular ones decline.

You keep mentioning the "Closing the Gap" policy. The 'GAP' is there NOT because education and health services are being denied to indigenous folk but because these services are refused or ignored by the indigenous folk as they choose to stick to their traditional ways.

It is quite clear that you believe it is necassary to force 'help' the Kurri. Please stop playing these silly games and be honest with us, Swagman.

It really saddens me to think that people with the attitudes you exhibit are to this day taking charge of Aborginal Australia and doing to them what you think should be done.
Swagman wrote:

foxdemon wrote:The victim had no trust for the police so the incident wasn't reported.

You weren't the victim so you could have reported it. You let the bloke get away with it and now he's free to bash other people.

foxdemon wrote:It is quite clear that you believe it is necassary to force 'help' the Kurri. Please stop playing these silly games and be honest with us, Swagman.

Schooling is compulsory for the rest of the population.

I don't really believe in forcing anyone to do anything but in reality a lot of kids wouldn't go to school if they weren't subject to some sort of penalty for wagging.

My point about marginalised aboriginals and non-aboriginals is the same. If the service is available free of charge and one chooses not to use it, one then shouldn't whinge about being disadvantaged.

I am forced to pay income tax against my will. If tax was by donation only how many people would pay? Obviously some individual freedoms have to be compromised if you want a functioning society.
A quote from the Guardian by John Pilger.21 March 2014.
"Today,the theft of Aboriginal children-including babies taken from the birth table-is now more widespread than any other time during the last century.As of June last year,almost 14,000 Aboriginal children have been removed.This is five times the number when Bringing Them Back Home was written.More than a third of all removed children are aboriginal-from 3% of the population."
And you still have the apologists for endemic racism in Australia.
The mistreatment of Aborigines warrants more than just compensation. What is needed is a comprehensive restructuring of the way non aboriginal Australians view aboriginal Australians. The biggest irony is that the only true Australians are are the most demonised group in Australia. It would seem that most so called liberal minded Australians are only too happy to fight for the rights of asylum seekers, muslims and so on but when it comes to the rights of aborigines they fall silent.

Two hundred plus years of discrimination is the reason why aborigines are at the bottom of our society, that coupled with most white Australians hatred towards aborigines and you have a recipe for disaster. The best form of compensation is one where a marginalised group is reintegrated back into our society with compassion and understanding and real opportunities for employment and prosperity.

This I am afraid is something most white Australians will never understand because like most other non indigenous Australians, they have never had any contact with indigenous Australians.
fractalign wrote:The mistreatment of Aborigines warrants more than just compensation. What is needed is a comprehensive restructuring of the way non aboriginal Australians view aboriginal Australians. The biggest irony is that the only true Australians are are the most demonised group in Australia. It would seem that most so called liberal minded Australians are only too happy to fight for the rights of asylum seekers, muslims and so on but when it comes to the rights of aborigines they fall silent.

The liberal minded Australians have probably actually met them and decided it wasn't worth it.

fractalign wrote:Two hundred plus years of discrimination is the reason why aborigines are at the bottom of our society, that coupled with most white Australians hatred towards aborigines and you have a recipe for disaster. The best form of compensation is one where a marginalised group is reintegrated back into our society with compassion and understanding and real opportunities for employment and prosperity.

There already are quotas at universities and governmental departments. It just makes everyone else who have to go through the normal processes resentful because they get fast tracked, have lower entry requirements etc.

fractalign wrote:This I am afraid is something most white Australians will never understand because like most other non indigenous Australians, they have never had any contact with indigenous Australians.

When I was at studying, I'd catch the bus from Central Station to uni and back. Often I'd see a group of them sitting outside the station, smoke in one hand, alcohol in the other. How do they pay for these things when you know they're not working? Handouts. And whenever you walk past them, they just start cursing at you. I'd be glad not to have anymore contact with them.
Rejn.You are another apologist for Australia's racist behaviour to Aborigines.What I read of your post such as....."Liberal minded Australians have probably met them (aborigines) and decided it wasn't worth it"......"I'd be glad not to have any more contact with them".The post stinks of racism.
Fractalign.Thanks for your post.Unless you have lived in Australia you wouldn't realize how marginalized the aborigines are.Your quote sums it up."most white Australians will never understand because like most other non indigenous Australians,they have never had any contact with indigenous Australians."
Most Australians live in the suburbs,they are not multicultural.The word "apartheid" springs to mind especially with the Australian Constitution being racist and the social services stealing aboriginal children.
I think a ten percent tax on the earnings and a 5 percent tax on all savings of all imigrants (i.e. non aborigonies) in perpetuity should be satifactory. Think of it as rent rather than afirmative action if that helps.
World War II Day by Day

June 7, Friday Navy captain wins first Victoria […]

@FiveofSwords " To preserve his genes &qu[…]

@Godstud , @Tainari88 , @Potemkin @Verv […]

Everyone knows the answer to this question. Ther[…]