ABC Greens bias - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
By Swagman
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-08/mp-found-guilty-of-tax-offences/4301176

MP found guilty of tax offences
MP Tammy Franks been found guilty of failing to lodge tax returns for a decade.

Franks went on trial in Adelaide Magistrates Court charged with 10 counts on not lodging her returns between 2001 and 2010.

The court was told she also had not lodged returns for the years between 1994 and 2000, but was not facing any additional charges.

The outcome is not expected to affect her South Australian parliamentary position.

The SA Legislative Councillor has declined to comment on the matter.

She could face a fine of up to $40,000.

Sentencing submissions will be heard on Friday

If this MLC was Labor or Coalition they would surely have been named and shamed by Aunty ABC?

Instead we get "M P" found guilty of tax offences" and not "GREENS" MP? :eh:

Aunty is slipping and showing her bias for the 'Huggers'......... :D
By GandalfTheGrey
But she was named and shamed swag - its in the very first line of the article.

If Aunty was trully biased towards the greens, wouldn't they just not run with the story at all? Maybe they really thought her identity would remain unknown - and that no one would think to do a 2 second google search on her name - but that seems a bit absurd.

Its a state MP, I'm not convinced that a similar report on a labor or liberal member would have been different. And besides, its been mentioned before:
Greens MP Tammy Franks is on trial on tax charges after she failed to have the proceedings abandoned on a technicality.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-27/g ... al/4096100
By colliric
GandalfTheGrey wrote:
If Aunty was trully biased towards the greens, wouldn't they just not run with the story at all? Maybe they really thought her identity would remain unknown - and that no one would think to do a 2 second google search on her name - but that seems a bit absurd.

Except of cause not running with the story would make Aunty appear exceptionally biased(kind of like Channel 9 News when it reports on news about Channel 9... If you want the bad news about Nine's woes, you have to watch Seven News!), and they clearly want to be biased without actually appearing to be exceptionally biased.

In regards to your second point quoted here, that's not the point of it. Most casual readers would just flick through the article on their news site and all that would be retained in their mind would be MP, rather than Greens MP. That's the point of it, so that casual users don't remember the word "Green" being there. Of cause more interested users would search Google and find out she's a Green, but the point of not putting the word in the article is to hide it from the casuals.
By Swagman
GandalfTheGrey wrote:But she was named and shamed swag - its in the very first line of the article.

She was but the Greens weren't?

I'm curious as to why you don't believe the ABC has a left bias GTG?

This was discussed at length some time ago with the now absent Max L. He was just as adamant.

The bias is subtle but its definitely there.
By GandalfTheGrey
Swagman wrote:
She was but the Greens weren't?

They were in the June article I linked for you. There is no reason to think this wasn't just a mistaken ommission.

I'm curious as to why you don't believe the ABC has a left bias GTG?

I'm curious as to why you seem so certain this is proof of this alleged bias.

Who cares about tax evasion - aka failing to lodge your tax returns? People do it all the time, and most people don't get caught. Its hardly a damning indictment on the greens if one of their own is guilty of it.
By Swagman
GandalfTheGrey wrote:They were in the June article I linked for you. There is no reason to think this wasn't just a mistaken ommission.

But not the one I linked for you and there is one reason and I have noted it........

GandalfTheGrey wrote:I'm curious as to why you seem so certain this is proof of this alleged bias.

I do listen to ABC radio and read the news website all the time. As I said there is definitely a subtle bias and that is just an example of it. It's like advertising.....it picks at the edge of your consciousness.

Of course being apolitical is part of Aunty's charter so it can't be obviously biased.

GandalfTheGrey wrote:Who cares about tax evasion - aka failing to lodge your tax returns? People do it all the time, and most people don't get caught. Its hardly a damning indictment on the greens if one of their own is guilty of it.

Trivial news item it is I admit but well I care about tax evasion, the more tax avoided the more tax that other people pay (such as me :| ) & how can one expect someone to govern the country when they can't even govern their personal finances? :lol:

But that's the point. Alot of people have to pay more tax and the cost of living is more expensive because of the Greens (their comrades of Govt) and then one of their own collective is scamming out of paying their unfair share.... ;) ...........but Aunty 'conveniently' doesn't mention it is a Green MP
By AVT
I must admit I have always percieved a slight left wing bias of the ABC especially on shows like Q and A, in the scheme of things it is probably a natural state to counter a dominance of other rightwing media, would be all good except the fact its taxpayer funded.....
By GandalfTheGrey
Well they regularly bring on Piers Ackerman to the show - though that might be just so they can allow him to demonstrate what an idiot he is - which he does so successfully.
By mum
AVT wrote:I must admit I have always percieved a slight left wing bias of the ABC especially on shows like Q and A, in the scheme of things it is probably a natural state to counter a dominance of other rightwing media, would be all good except the fact its taxpayer funded.....

Maybe a little more than slightly.... and most definitely statist, naturally

:lol: ‘Caracalla’ and ‘Punic’, @FiveofSwords .[…]

Background in English of Claudia Sheinbaum: @Pot[…]

The fact that you're a genocide denier is pretty […]

@Rancid When the Republicans say the justice […]