China wants East Jerusalem to be capital of Palestine - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Although Israel has already annexed East Jerusalem contrary to international law, Chinese President Xi Jinping called yesterday for the establishment of a Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital. President Xi said a Palestinian state should be "along the 1967 borders with Israel."
http://www.timesofisrael.com/chinese-leader-calls-for-palestinian-state-with-east-jerusalem-capital/
This puts China in line with the rest of the world.
Pongo wrote:If only Israel could relinquish the Arab zone in Jerusalem, but the Arab residents there don't want to abandon all the social rights they have under Israeli occupation.

You gotta be kidding. Israel has no intention of allowing an Arab East Jerusalem to be part of any Palestinian state. Netanyahoo would just as soon kick the rest of muslim Semites out of the West Bank so he can formally annex the entire West Bank without worrying about demographic issues.
oscar wrote:Netanyahoo would just as soon kick the rest of muslim Semites out of the West Bank so he can formally annex the entire West Bank without worrying about demographic issues.

I don't like the guy, but it's a sensible plan ... Israel should just declare a head tax on Muslims (tit for tat) who would like to keep their heads. That'll thin em out pretty quick.

Zam
This is pretty significant. To my knowledge the Chinese haven't spoken out on this issue before. Anyway, it's pretty amusing that the petro-Arab lobby would waste its time on the proxy-Arab non-issue of the Palestinian territories, given the complete state of disarray the Arab League is in.

They're probably trying to win back some currency from the populaces they've alienated. E.g. with ISIS and Saudi Arabia accusing each other -- "No, you're the Zionist sympathiser!" "No, you are!"
China can be considered many things, most of them negative from a liberal Western viewpoint but I ultimately see their policies as very pragmatic. Israel and China have profitable trade agreements. It's only reasonable to promote peace in the region. I don't think China could care less about national rights or human rights. Stability is more of a factor than anything.

@FiveofSwords We know there was slavery in the[…]

Yet let's not cheat ourselves, this also plays in[…]

Hypersonic Weapons

Funny I was about to make a comment, but then I d[…]

Some would argue maybe those people should just l[…]