The current wave of violence - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
davey2 wrote:That violence can end in many ways. It might end in a Gaza-style PLO victory.https://globalpoliticssite.wordpress.co ... za-defeat/
It might end by Israel's' suppression of the violence.http://www.isracast.com/article.aspx?ID ... POPULATION
What do you think?

I am not optimistic about a fair and just solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict which is what is needed to stop the chronic violence, not only the current wave. Indeed, the current wave cannot really be separated from what has gone before and future prospects. I do believe, as long as Israel is occupying the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and blockading Gaza with periodic slaughter of Palestinians there, the violence will continue.
The way to end the violence?

Equality of law and order.

Haaretz Article: Court Finds Two Guilty in Abu Khdeir Murder; Conviction of Main Suspect Suspended
"Why haven't they demolished the homes of these three murderers?" Hussein Abu Khdeir, the youth's father, asked at the last court session. "If they were Arabs, their homes would have been demolished immediately. Because they burned my son alive, people today are stabbing."
Tailz wrote:The way to end the violence?

Equality of law and order.

Haaretz Article: Court Finds Two Guilty in Abu Khdeir Murder; Conviction of Main Suspect Suspended
"Why haven't they demolished the homes of these three murderers?" Hussein Abu Khdeir, the youth's father, asked at the last court session. "If they were Arabs, their homes would have been demolished immediately. Because they burned my son alive, people today are stabbing."

No one believes there is equality before the law for Palestinians and Jews in Israel and Occupied Palestine.
Heinie wrote:No one believes there is equality before the law for Palestinians and Jews in Israel and Occupied Palestine.

They don't believe in it, because there is no equality in the execution of law, order, and punishment. As pointed out by Hussein Abu Khdeir, had the criminals been Palestinian, their homes would have immediately been demolished.
I'm skeptical about that. There are other issues involved that go beyond how law is applied and even then I'm sure you'll find the some who will participate in attacks regardless of Israeli policy - it's part of the problem of dealing with lone-wolves, they don't need to promise anything and it's up to them if they want to stop or not.

PS: Long time no see. I hope you've been well.
wat0n wrote:I'm skeptical about that.

Your skeptical of what? The unequal application of law and order? Especially in relation to punishments?

wat0n wrote:There are other issues involved that go beyond how law is applied...

Other issues? So your saying the application of law should bend to the will of... other issues? Sounds a bit wishy-washy to me.

wat0n wrote:...and even then I'm sure you'll find the some who will participate in attacks regardless of Israeli policy - it's part of the problem of dealing with lone-wolves, they don't need to promise anything and it's up to them if they want to stop or not.

The collective punishments have been shown by IDF research and common sense to be no deterrence at all. If anything it helps to create more revenge attacks and to act as an excuse by the Iraeali political right for more settler homes as punishment. Plays into all sides hands when you think about it.

wat0n wrote:PS: Long time no see. I hope you've been well.

I have been lurking in the background. Got tired of village idiots who are far more comfortable with lies than the uncomfortable reality.
danholo wrote:It's the lies we are here for!

The lies are strong with this one...
Tailz wrote:Your skeptical of what? The unequal application of law and order? Especially in relation to punishments?

No, that the attacks will stop if the Abu Khdeir murderers get an appropriate punishment.

Tailz wrote:Other issues? So your saying the application of law should bend to the will of... other issues? Sounds a bit wishy-washy to me.

No, that attackers have other motives for acting that have nothing to do with an application of the law.

Tailz wrote:The collective punishments have been shown by IDF research and common sense to be no deterrence at all. If anything it helps to create more revenge attacks and to act as an excuse by the Iraeali political right for more settler homes as punishment. Plays into all sides hands when you think about it.

Indeed, home demolition is pretty useless as a deterrent, immoral and should of course be stopped for good. But what does that have to do with what you quoted?

Are you trying to claim I support an unequal application of Israeli law? That is essentially how your post reads. In that case you are wrong, but I'd not be surprised since this isn't the first time you try to set this straw man up.

Tailz wrote:I have been lurking in the background. Got tired of village idiots who are far more comfortable with lies than the uncomfortable reality.

Indeed. For instance, those very village idiots may fail to realize people have different motivations to act and that there is no simple solution for ending uncoordinated, lone-wolf attackers. So they may believe that if Israel did "x", attacks would magically stop when it is far from clear this would be the case by judging from what the attackers themselves have said upon capture and which include stuff that has nothing to do with politics (e.g. the woman involved in the Afula bus station attack wanted to be killed by the Israeli police because she was depressed, given that suicide is strongly condemned in Islam if it is not a form of martyrdom). Hopefully they'd decrease in their intensity but this is far from guaranteed due to the uncoordinated nature of the attacks.
wat0n wrote:Tailz wrote:
Your skeptical of what? The unequal application of law and order? Especially in relation to punishments?

No, that the attacks will stop if the Abu Khdeir murderers get an appropriate punishment.

Maybe I over stated myself too strongly with my initial post, if you think I was hinting that equality of law and order would "end" the violence. Oh no no no... the attacks by both sides are going to keep going on in some form or another. Their both so invested in attacking in other now. But the equal application of law will cause some to rethink attacking. The hand liners will attack regardless of the consequences.

Plus with the current political atmosphere these days, any kind of crime that even looks like it involves a brown person is labeled as terrorism these days... and everyone's a copy-cat.

Brown man gets angry at Coffee barista who messed up his order, CNN claims terrorism, ISIS claims responsibility... Brown man just wanted a Coffee with no milk?!

Other issues? So your saying the application of law should bend to the will of... other issues? Sounds a bit wishy-washy to me.

No, that attackers have other motives for acting that have nothing to do with an application of the law.

Indeed. Each side has so many 'reasons' stored up to justify attacking each other. The Israeli's bulldozed my house! The Palestinians launched rockets at us! The Israeli's did this! The Palestinians did that!

The soft glove approach the Israeli's use to their own criminals, is just another one of those many excuses.

For example:
Israeli Military Moves to Raze Terrorists’ Homes as Soon as Possible After Attacks
Army says demolitions are most effective when close to actual attacks; demolishes Nablus home of leader of Hamas terror cell that killed Eitam and Na’ama Henkin in October.
The Israel Defense Forces has started mapping the houses of Palestinian terrorists within 24 hours of an attack, in a bid to speed up its controversial home-demolition policy. A senior defense official says that quickly implemented demolitions are the most effective, although he admits the process is “draconian.”
The IDF’s latest home demolition took place in the early hours of Thursday morning, when it razed the Nablus home of Ragheb Ahmad Muhammad Aliwi, the Hamas cell commander behind the October 1 murder of Israelis Eitam and Na’ama Henkin.
Aliwi recruited the four terrorists who carried out the murders and supplied them with their weapons. He had previously been imprisoned for terror activity. All five members of the cell have been arrested. The Henkins, both in their 30s, were driving with their four children when their car came under fire in the West Bank. The children, all boys, survived the attack.
The High Court of Justice approved the demolition of Aliwi’s home on Tuesday. The houses of three other cell members were razed last month. Also Tuesday, the High Court vetoed the demolition of the home of Nur al-Din Abu Hashaya, who stabbed a soldier to death at a Tel Aviv train station in November 2014. The High Court ruled that the state had waited too long to carry out the demolition, saying the army couldn’t “turn the clock back” and that the delay caused unnecessary hardship to the family.
The IDF began implementing its new policy on the demolition of terrorists’ homes last week: It is sending troops to terrorists’ homes within 24 hours of the attack and conducting a survey – the first step in preparations for demolition. The new policy places those who have murdered Israelis at the top of the list of priorities.
A senior IDF officer told Haaretz that the razing of terrorists’ homes is an effective tool. “If on the same night that someone stabbed to death [someone and we could demolish his home], then we would do so,” he said.
The senior defense official agreed that quick demolitions were most effective, adding that he would like to see a shortening of the process for securing the approval of demolitions.
The demolition of terrorists’ homes is a controversial policy whose effectiveness was previously questioned by the IDF. However, in light of the recent spate of terror attacks, the government has reintroduced the policy. On Wednesday morning, for example, the IDF demolished the Shoafat home of Ibrahim al-Akri, who rammed his car into a crowd at the Shimon Hatzadik light rail station in Jerusalem in November 2014, killing two Israelis.
However, the IDF has yet to demolish the homes of all terrorists who carried out deadly attacks. The IDF can only carry out the demolitions after receiving instructions from the government and gaining approval from the High Court, which can be petitioned by the families of the terrorists.
The IDF has also been surveying the homes of some Palestinians who launched terror attacks that did not prove fatal, including Mamoon Raed Muhammed al-Khateeb, 16, who attempted to stab a pedestrian at the Gush Etzion junction in the West Bank last Tuesday but was shot dead by a soldier.

What do you think Palestinians think when they see this, meanwhile the Israeli's who burned the Palestinian kid alive look to get off on legal technicalities (the adult is filing for insanity, while the other two are juveniles), let alone had their family homes demolished with such speed.

The collective punishments have been shown by IDF research and common sense to be no deterrence at all. If anything it helps to create more revenge attacks and to act as an excuse by the Iraeali political right for more settler homes as punishment. Plays into all sides hands when you think about it.

Indeed, home demolition is pretty useless as a deterrent, immoral and should of course be stopped for good. But what does that have to do with what you quoted?

I was giving an example of how such incidents are exploited to fulfill the goals of interested parties. The Israeli's use the attacks to justify "punishments" such as more settler housing, which in turn generates friction with the Palestinians who then use it as an excuse to attack Israelis.

wat0n wrote:Are you trying to claim I support an unequal application of Israeli law? That is essentially how your post reads.

Oh come now Wat0n, you know me. If I am going to accuse you of something, I will not beat around the bush.

So you think the Israeli authorities should be demolishing the homes of Israeli criminals who engage in politically motivated attacks?

wat0n wrote:In that case you are wrong, but I'd not be surprised since this isn't the first time you try to set this straw man up.

A straw man that you just built.

But you did write that the law should bend to the will of outside forces...

I just think that the law should be blind, in both investigation and conviction. If home demolition is the punishment (which I do not condone since it punishes people for a crime they didn't commit) then it is to be applied when anyone commits that crime for which it is the punishment.

I have been lurking in the background. Got tired of village idiots who are far more comfortable with lies than the uncomfortable reality.

Indeed. For instance, those very village idiots may fail to realize people have different motivations to act and that there is no simple solution for ending uncoordinated, lone-wolf attackers. So they may believe that if Israel did "x", attacks would magically stop when it is far from clear this would be the case by judging from what the attackers themselves have said upon capture and which include stuff that has nothing to do with politics (e.g. the woman involved in the Afula bus station attack wanted to be killed by the Israeli police because she was depressed, given that suicide is strongly condemned in Islam if it is not a form of martyrdom). Hopefully they'd decrease in their intensity but this is far from guaranteed due to the uncoordinated nature of the attacks.

Equal law and order, would certainly remove one of the many excuses.
Indeed, surely an equal application of the law regarding the actions of Jewish extremists would help. Since this is the first time they are stupid enough to actually kill people in the process without being able to allege legitimate self-defense, we'll have to wait and see on how much they get in the court system (in the case of those who carried the Duma arson out, once they are caught too. It seems the Shin Bet already arrested some people over this but that their inquiry is still ongoing and evidence is not strong enough for trial yet, and more importantly, I think they are trying to catch the whole cell, even people who didn't participate in the attack directly).

That said, I am not sure of how much would it help, at least in isolation. What percentage of potential attackers would be convinced not to carry an attack out over an adequate court ruling in the Abu Khdeir trial?

I suspect it'd be low as not all attackers have political motives for carrying these actions out, and also because even those who do act out of political motives seem to cite other issues with more frequency (e.g. the status of the Al-Aqsa compound).

Tailz wrote:What do you think Palestinians think when they see this, meanwhile the Israeli's who burned the Palestinian kid alive look to get off on legal technicalities (the adult is filing for insanity, while the other two are juveniles), let alone had their family homes demolished with such speed.

Ummm not quite, the court will evaluate whether it should even consider the new assessment Ben David got shortly before issuing the verdict or not. If it doesn't, then he's toast as the Jerusalem district psychiatrist said he's sane, if it does then his trial goes on but only focusing on whether he's sane or not as it is already established he was the ring leader and that he personally burned the kid, meaning each side would have to provide more expert opinion on the matter.

If not then I assume the ruling on how many years will everyone get will be on January next year. IIRC the teens risk 15 years and Ben David would risk life if he's declared sane or of the Court decides to throw the assessment or because the defense ignored the procedural rules on when is the defense allowed to provide it.
Tailz, in his signature, wrote:"Netanyahu is like a man who, while negotiating the division of a pizza, continues to eat it." - Avi Shlaim, British-Israeli historian.

Yes, the result is that the pizza becomes an inseparable part of his body. So...?
Swedish PM: Knife attacks are not classified as terrorism

Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven on Monday tried to improve the strained ties between his country and Israel, but only raised more ire when claiming stabbing attacks were not considered terrorism.

Ynet Published: 8/12/15

"No, it is not classified as that. There is an international classification when it is, or is not. What I know is not classified as terrorism," he told Swedish news agency TT. The relationship between Israel and Sweden has reached a new low following a series of comments made by Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallström, in the most recent of which she accused Israel of "extrajudicial executions" of Palestinian terrorists on the scene of the attack.

Löfven claimed Wallström's comments were merely misunderstood in Israel, and that "to say the foreign minister accuses Israel of such an action (extrajudicial executions) is completely wrong. She never said that." Both Wallström and Löfven claimed the foreign minister did not specifically mean Israel in her comments. "The situation in the Middle East is difficult enough without having to be encumbered by misunderstandings about anybody's intentions," a joint statement issued by Löfven and Wallström said. Löfven later called the news agency in an attempt to clarify his own comments. "I was referring to the fact it is not clear whether these knife attacks have been organized by some classified terrorist organization. But organized attacks are precisely acts of terrorism," he said.
Last month Wallström caused anger in Israel when she seemed to imply that there was a connection between Islamist terrorism and the "desperate situation" of the Palestinians.

During an interview on Swedish TV channel SVT2, shortly after the Paris attacks, she was asked if she is concerned about the radicalization of Swedish youth who fight with Islamic State.

"Of course we have cause for concern, not just in Sweden but throughout the world, because there are so many being radicalized," Wallström replied.

"And again, it reminds us of the situation in the Middle East, where the Palestinians see that there is no future for them and have to either accept a desperate situation or resort to violence," she added.

The Foreign Ministry's director-general, Dr. Dore Gold, invited Swedish Ambassador to Israel Carl Magnus for an urgent discussion to clarify Wallström's comments.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 30,00.html

Dr. Guy Bechor: West's pet conflict, or the European obsession
December 12, 2012 at 5:58am
Europe obsessing over Israel-Arab conflict to avoid tackling real Mideast problems

For more than 70 years the Israeli-Arab (or Jewish-Arab) conflict has been viewed as the focal point of the Mideast crisis, so much so that the term "peace process" is mentioned only in relation to Israel. Western governments and states have invested a lot of attention in this conflict, out of the naïve assumption that when it ends and a Palestinian state is established, a cosmic calm will settle over the entire region.

Many believed in this concept, which placed Israel at the center. Pan-Arabist ideologists claimed this was the "problem" of the Arab world, and western scholars explained why resolving this conflict was so crucial. Countless authors have made a living from the conflict with Israel. Organizations were founded and funds were transferred from hand to hand – and all this out of the understanding that resolving the conflict would give the entire region a boost.

And now, finally, a Palestinian state has been established in the UN (if only on paper), but alas, nothing has changed in the turbulent Middle East, and the chilly manner in which the Arab regimes and media reacted to the Palestinians' success in the UN is a testament to this.

Syria is being torn apart by an awful civil war and the death toll is quickly approaching 50,000; the ethnic war has already taken control over north Lebanon, and the Shiite Hezbollah is on high alert for fear of a Sunni move; Egypt may also be dragged into a civil war; Tunisia, the hope of the "Arab Spring," has become an Islamist country that is descending into an abyss of darkness and violence; Libya is no longer a country, but a collection of militias and tribes that battle each other; Iraq is disintegrating, Kurds from four different countries are getting organized and Turkey is on the brink of a possible war with Syria and Iran.

Wait, but the Palestinian state has been recognized by the UN! Where is that calm that we were promised?

The only stable places in the entire Middle East are Israel and the Palestinian Authority, despite the tensions. Operation “Pillar of Defense” has turned out to be a passing episode launched as part of Israel's attempt to stabilize the south. It was not necessarily related to the overall collapse in the region.

So why did so many countries vote in favor of a Palestinian state on paper? To turn back time, to the good old days when everyone was dealing with Israel and not with the real problems.

But these days have passed and they shall never return. The Middle East has fallen apart, Europe is being conquered by Islam, and obsessing over Israel won't change this reality.

(Yedioth Aharonoth, 8/12/12)

China works with Russia, and both are part of BRI[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://x.com/i/status/1791406694175510965 https:[…]

Narva city removed Muscovite colonial natives from[…]

You aren't very good at concealing your real agen[…]