Minneapolis Police Shoot Unarmed White Woman To Death - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
@Pants-of-dog
You told skinster why you are not actually supplying the information, but that is not the same as supplying the information.

This is not the first time we have had these discussions so it seems a waste of time to research the same statistics which have already been argued. We end up arguing the 'reasoning' behind the statistics anyway. I don't mind exchanging the reasoning behind our arguments, but I am not invested enough to put a lot of meaningless research into it. I supplied the 'reasoning' behind my position. Your post above supplied your 'feelings'.
I basically entered into our current exchange as a prelude to where this will go after we have more information. In other words, getting past some of this old stuff to concentrate on this shooting. As I have stated many times in the past, I believe each event is what should be discussed and not conspiracy theories about groups. Each should be discussed on it's own merits and not on our preconceived bias.

Edit: BTW, the only new news I have found is the officer offered his condolences to the family.
You made the claim that a significant number of these police officers, who were found innocent, were forced to resign by public pressure.

You now seem to be explaining that you do not want to tell me how many.

I am willing to continue believing that there are very few.
Pants-of-dog wrote:You made the claim that a significant number of these police officers, who were found innocent, were forced to resign by public pressure.

You now seem to be explaining that you do not want to tell me how many.

I am willing to continue believing that there are very few.

I already said I was not aware of any of them keeping their jobs in any of the high profile shootings. I am making the assumption that I will not find out if that is 100% with a simple google search. I do not want to look up all the past cases, get the names of the officers, and then try to find out if they still have their jobs to prove my statement is basically correct when anyone who followed these stories know they resigned.
Do you know some who are still on the job?
One Degree wrote:I already said I was not aware of any of them keeping their jobs in any of the high profile shootings. I am making the assumption that I will not find out if that is 100% with a simple google search. I do not want to look up all the past cases, get the names of the officers, and then try to find out if they still have their jobs to prove my statement is basically correct when anyone who followed these stories know they resigned.
Do you know some who are still on the job?

Your awareness of the facts (or more correctly, a lack of awareness) is not the issue. The fact that you are unaware of thses things does not mean they did not happen.

I am not aware of the names of the craters on the moon. But I do not delude myself into thinking that the moon's craters are unnamed just because I am not aware of the names.

I am not aware of any cop being punished. Does that mean that no cops were punished?
maz wrote:Shooting death of Justine Damond by US police sparks calls for federal investigation

We all know the names by heart; Travon Martin, Michael Brown, Phillip Castillo and on and on. For some reason the media in the US only makes a big deal when police shoot black men.

The story has been all over the media today.

What seems inexplicable to me is that the cop in the passenger seat fired across his partner in the driver's seat to shoot her through the driver's side window.
anna wrote:The story has been all over the media today.

What seems inexplicable to me is that the cop in the passenger seat fired across his partner in the driver's seat to shoot her through the driver's side window.

This would at least be reasonable, but did not the news report actually say driver's side door? If true then that is just weird.
If we salvage anything from this tragedy, we might finally manage to convince that even the upper social/economical classes that they are not safe from american law enforcement officers.

But i guess the officer was black immigrant muslim so the narrative is unfortunately very easy to change... :eh:
MadMonk wrote:If we salvage anything from this tragedy, we might finally manage to convince that even the upper social/economical classes that they are not safe from american law enforcement officers.

But i guess the officer was black immigrant muslim so the narrative is unfortunately very easy to change... :eh:

Yes, it is upsetting when facts refuse to confirm our bias.
Edit: I am sure liberals will simply swing to "cops kill everybody" from "white cops kill blacks". Just adjust the narrative to keep the bias intact. Sorry, it was not a white cop and a Black victim. It would have made things so much easier.
One Degree wrote:This would at least be reasonable, but did not the news report actually say driver's side door? If true then that is just weird.

Here's one of the reports:

Dressed in her pyjamas, Ms Damond reportedly approached the driver's side window of the police car when it arrived in the alley.

Mr Noor then reportedly fired multiple shots from the passenger seat across his partner, killing Ms Damond.

She was shot in the abdomen. I'd assume that multiple shots could have gone through both door and window, but I don't think the significance is in whether it was door or window as much as it is that he fired across his partner, and that his partner didn't fire his weapon at all.
anna wrote:Here's one of the reports:

Dressed in her pyjamas, Ms Damond reportedly approached the driver's side window of the police car when it arrived in the alley.

Mr Noor then reportedly fired multiple shots from the passenger seat across his partner, killing Ms Damond.

She was shot in the abdomen. I'd assume that multiple shots could have gone through both door and window, but I don't think the significance is in whether it was door or window as much as it is that he fired across his partner, and that his partner didn't fire his weapon at all.

The significance to me is the driver and steering wheel were between him and the door. The window is less blocked. The door would indicate extreme panic for some unknown reason in my opinion.
Doesn't really matter but...

In fiscal year 2016, which ended in July, his base pay was bumped up to $78,026 — and he somehow made a total of $119,996 while riding a desk. Over $23,000 of that was in overtime, while another $12,853 came from “unspecified pay,” which Politico New York reported could include bonuses or retroactive pay.

I read another source that said it was retroactive pay, but I was not familiar with the source so did not use it.
If I were to accidentally kill someone a work, I would get fired. Cops get paid leave!

"Honey, I want to go visit my parents this summer, but we already used up all your vacation days!"

"Don't worry, dear. I will shoot an unarmed person and we will get paid leave!"
Pants-of-dog wrote:If I were to accidentally kill someone a work, I would get fired. Cops get paid leave!

"Honey, I want to go visit my parents this summer, but we already used up all your vacation days!"

"Don't worry, dear. I will shoot an unarmed person and we will get paid leave!"

You convinced me. Let us disband all police departments so we can live in peace and harmony with our criminal brothers. All they need is our love and understanding.
One Degree wrote:You convinced me. Let us disband all police departments so we can live in peace and harmony with our criminal brothers. All they need is our love and understanding.

I have no idea how you made yourself believe that I was arguing that.

Now, do you have any evidence about cops being fired for shooting unarmed people?
Pants-of-dog wrote:I have no idea how you made yourself believe that I was arguing that.

Now, do you have any evidence about cops being fired for shooting unarmed people?

What else do you want them to do? You are still complaining. Most major cities now have public oversight groups and many like Minneapolis use outside investigators for police shootings. They have done everything to prove they are not the bad guys, but you simply keep insisting they are because you want it that way. Cops are just people and they will have people do stupid things just like the rest of the world. The statistics show they are doing a great job, but you prefer to accept the sensationalized rarity as reality. Join the real world.
I have one response of one policeman still on the job. Do you know of any others? If not, I will assume they all lost their jobs. There was even outrage that the Minnesota police officer was given severance pay when he was fired.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

For China is Russia the only big ally they have...[…]

Imagine how delighted you will be when the Circus[…]

BRICS will fail

Americans so desperate for a Cold War 2.0 they inv[…]

They do not have equality of opportunity compared […]