Jewish vs Christian God - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
By noemon
No, the ETYMOLOGY of the word is explicit. Venerate comes from "Reverence", but they are not the same as worship, at least not anymore.

What the heck are you babbling? The dictionary speaks of now. Both worship is translated now as reverence, and reverence as worship.

You are using "worship" in an outdated sense, the same way that a Brit would call a magistrate "Your worship". That's not SACRIFICIAL worship, which is what is generally referred to today when someone says "Worship". SACRIFICIAL worship is due to God alone, and therefore confusing the issue by suggesting that Catholics "worship" Saints is inappropriate, because it suggests that they pay that sacrificial worship / latria / adoration towards Saints, when obviously they do not. Regardless of the etymology of the word, it's inappropriate to draw that conclusion.

You are arguing semantics. You are denying worshiping saints, when Christianity does so by canon Law, you are trying to draw an artificial line between sacrifical worship and plain worship to deny the Saints of being worshiped. As I said God does take precedence in Christianity,. but that does not negate the worship paid to saints. You are aware that Christians officially venerate Saints, and you are trying to transform veneration to non-worship, because God takes precedence, failing to understand that veneration is an act of worship, and it is not quantifiable. You either worship or you dont, you either speak or you are mute. It is an act. being laconic, does not equate to being mute, ie speaking less does not negate the act of speech.

As the terminology of Christian theology developed, the Greek term latria came to be used to refer to the honor that is due to God alone, and the term dulia came to refer to the honor that is due to human beings, especially those who lived and died in God’s friendship—in other words, the saints.

This is bollocks, and you know it and that is why the apologist in this site does not provide a source for it. He jumps like you did from Aquinas who mentions Lords and Kings as douleia to refer to Saints. In the end, if you have a source for this claim, source it. If he actually did have a source for this claim, he would have sourced it. And since you brought the words of Aquinas, who are most probably the source for it, and who does not use douleia to refer to saints, then it might had been infered that you are just ignorant had you not brought it forward, but your apologetics is intentional negation.

All of these terms—latria, dulia, hyperdulia—used to be lumped under the one English word "worship." Sometimes when one reads old books discussing the subject of how particular persons are to be honored, they will qualify the word "worship" by referring to "the worship of latria" or "the worship of dulia." To contemporaries and to those not familiar with the history of these terms, however, this is too confusing.

What a pile of unsourced garbage. St Augustine and Aquinas refer to men, not Saints who are by canon Holy, when utilizing douleia.

If you want to say that Catholics respect and honor the Saints, you'll get no argument from me. Arguing that they "Worship" them, without qualification, is incorrect according to the modern sense of the word.

The modern sense of the word, is explicit, you are the one who fails to qualify that "veneration" is not "worship" when the modern dictionary tells you that it is as it has always been, and that worship is veneration and that veneration is worship. Hide behind semantics all you like, it doesnt change anything. Christians officially venerate Saints and consider them "Divine" and Holy. Twist and turn, you are only ridiculing yourself by negating your religion and your Saints.
Last edited by noemon on 25 Feb 2009 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
By Todd D.
So basically, you understand Catholicism better than:
-Catholic Answers
-The Catechism of the Catholic Church
-A vast majority of Catholics on the planet.

Gotcha.

What I'm saying is that the use of the term "Worship" today has come to equate with the very specific aspect of Worshiping of the Divine, sacrificial worship, adoration, latria. You are using it in the broader sense of the word, which while etymologically correct, has a different connotation today, and therefore when trying to express ideas is inappropriate to use without qualification. That's my only problem with what you're saying, and I think that using terms like Veneration, respect, and honor make clearer the distinction between how Catholics view God, and how they view Mary and the Saints.
By noemon
Dont pretend that your quotes verify your arguments or that your quotes are canon and that I am allegedly denying the canon. The jump of douleia referring to Saints, is nowhere to be found, in no canonical christian document whatsoever. St Augustine and Aquinas refer to men, not to Saints, who are Holy. It can only be found in modern catholic apologetics which are not canonical without any foundation, whatsoever, to play with semantics in order to evade a controversial subject for the untrained eyes of laymen.

What I'm saying is that the use of the term "Worship" today has come to equate with the very specific aspect of Worshiping of the Divine, sacrificial worship, adoration, latria. You are using it in the broader sense of the word, which while etymologically correct, has a different connotation today, and therefore when trying to express ideas is inappropriate to use without qualification. That's my only problem with what you're saying, and I think that using terms like Veneration, respect, and honor make clearer the distinction between how Catholics view God, and how they view Mary and the Saints.

For the last time, hide behind semantics all you like. The fact that God, takes precedence over Saints is not disputed here. This hierarchical precedence does not negate the act of worship, when canon Law officially venerates Saints as Divine.
By jimjilin
Noeman. you are desperate on this subject! :lol:

It is obvious that Christians honor or venerate saints, but do not worship them. I checked a couple of dictionaries worship is the special reverence of a deity.

The above quote from the Catholic Catechism makes the point crystal clear. You must have really squirmed when you read it! :D

Please give up and get on with your life.
By noemon
You can go on hallucinating while trying to convince yourself that veneration is not worship when all dictionaries have it so, its not my problem. As for the catechism quote that supposedly "made me squirm"... :lol:, it only demonstrated yours and the poster's illiteracy or intended blindness(pick what suits you best), and the fact that you post without posting any arguments but merely cheerlead around is an explicit demonstration about who's desperate here. Further, it is not me running the apologetics here, nor me whose faith is shattered by a single word.

Get on with your life and make terms with your faith instead of living in a pretentious world, it is bad for health. ;)
By Bosnjak
No Hell in Judaism

Not all Jews believe in this, Judaism is not a monolithic block it has several strains.

Without Hell there is no definition of evil.
By QatzelOk
Without Hell there is no definition of evil.

Yes, there is.

The other.

The people outside of your own cult.
By Bosnjak
@qatelOk I belive in the goodness/Justice and evil, no matter of religious or racial heritage, what was does not matter, we have to improve our knowledge and our morality. And to respect all races even a new race. God loves us all. He wants to see how we stay strong, evilnes is a sing of personal weakness.

@Unthinking Majority I agree that the proteste[…]

A nation is a race In what language are these w[…]

Terrorist strategy is not to defeat an enemy with[…]

I agree with this message. Here's another one t[…]