The Front of Affront - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Suska
The Front of Affront is basically the super slippery slope theory of sociology. So this is how it works:

On an Individual level there are minor things like irony or sarcasm which demonstrate a tendency toward the wry. In a minor way humor can be perverse, it can also be dark, it can also be taken seriously, it can also be quite serious.

There are more significant things that go by this pattern. First the usual things become tedious and boring so people look for adventure and novelty, and this search for newness itself produces novel methods such as shocking behavior, grossing oneself and others out. This, you may admit can be funny. Youtube and 4chan are both famous for providing spectators with terrible visions, especially of the human body.

Talking about sex, well it comes with it's own facets of grossness, so much so that one can glory in the grossness of it - and that can be funny, maybe even healthy. For sure the eye full of desire has a very different way of seeing than the dispassionate eye. But again, eventually anything can get boring. People start to look at new ways of doing things - wry ways and deliberately gross ways.

And then there is something called contrariness. Everyone probably knows someone who is quite contrary, that is, it doesn't matter what you say, they disagree. Not just disagree but do things in strange impractical ways just to be different. In the film Little Big Man (with Dustin Hoffman) there is an Indian who rides his horse mounted backwards, they call him a 'Contrarian' - this is the only example I know of in which the idea is put forth as a principle, that is, someone who is contrary in principle.

Now things get a little serious though, and this I would call a theory about the sum of traditionalist fears.

So the idea is that homosexuality is perverse. What this means is that it is done in order to be shocking, for a number of reasons. Probably the most prominent is what the french call frisson ('friction' but in a positive way) about love, it is that there are sparks. When love making gets normal it might lose something hungry about it, lose the passion. So people look farther, not just into new techniques, but to taboo, to obsession, to creative things that set them apart, shock the senses, bring a lively danger to it etc. All of which goes against the grain of single partnership and graceful acceptance of waning passions as we age, but let's say at the individual level and to a moderate degree it's not a big deal.

Put this all together and you have contrarian politics and general perversity. In other words people doing things that are not just wrong - let's say wrong in the sense that if everyone did them social organizing would be impossible - or wrong in the way of being revolting, disturbing, bizarre etc - not only doing these things, but doing these things because they are wrong, and actively looking for ways to be even more wrong, and promoting this way.

Here is something I think is odd, and this is why I bring all of this up, it seems that is some cases me and Donald agree, like perhaps we both see something that's happening, even if we disagree on whether or not it is a good sign.

Gay marriage. Well. If homosexuality is perverse and therefore exciting. Gay marriage is how you would go about making it boring. Accepting it, making it not taboo, linking it to possessive instincts etc. If it's normal it's no longer special.

Now suppose you do this generation after generation. So today gay marriage is made boring, those people who really must prove their specialness, contrariness, or those people who really can't be aroused to laughter or strong feeling without something outrageous happening - those people who feel like they really need to make something dramatic happen. Well now that gay marriage is normal and gay sex just another way of stultifying the senses and consolidating boredom, whatever will we do to be special and shocking?

So what appears over long periods is a kind of wavefront of perversity, the front of affront. Like a marching battle line pushing ever farther into the territory of the absurd and revolting.

I do not find traditionalist fears on this count absurd, despite the many objections to the effect that for instance homosexuality doesn't have anything to do with bestiality, if you consolidate the impractical you don't put increasing impracticality farther out - it becomes much closer.

If what people want is just more of course, there is no supply big enough to ever feed that sort of mouth. If what people want is perverse, that moves, along with being special. The criteria changes as the criteria is met.

I don't want this to be taken for a rant against immorality, but this is the theory as I understand it. It doesn't seem ridiculous, maybe it's not very serious, maybe there are real limits to how large a proportion of any society can actually wish to push things, for sure if everyone were bizarrely dependent on getting a dramatic response from others it would be impractical to continue thinking of society as organized. Shocking behavior gets more difficult, on the other hand it could be quite serious, it may even be the case that this can be linked to increasing bombings and shootings.
By Donna
Interesting post, Suska. I can basically agree with it, even though I come from the Freudo-Marxist side of the debate. Not that there's anything particularly shocking that I wish to endorse post-same-sex marriage, but I would like to see the idea of gay rights, at the very least, free itself from all of the moralistic liberal clap-trap spawned by two decades of activist propaganda.
By fyrenza
I'm a Christian, and as a logical human being, I abhor homosexuality.

That said,
I have no problem with gay folks ~
they get to think and feel what THEY do, just the same as me.

What disturbs me about it is that the entire institution of marriage is based upon a contract between two people, BEFORE GOD.

God has SAID, in no uncertain terms, that homosexuality goes against EVERYTHING He wants for us,
first and foremost, the propagation of the species,
but more than that, an understanding of Him and how He treats, views, and plans to deal with us.

I think that we are trying to redefine, NOT just a word, but an entire concept, with this,

and I'm NOT "down with it," at all.

A civil union/contract between people is FINE, but it isn't a "marriage."
By Verv
Suska wrote:I do not find traditionalist fears on this count absurd, despite the many objections to the effect that for instance homosexuality doesn't have anything to do with bestiality, if you consolidate the impractical you don't put increasing impracticality farther out - it becomes much closer.

If what people want is just more of course, there is no supply big enough to ever feed that sort of mouth. If what people want is perverse, that moves, along with being special. The criteria changes as the criteria is met.

It is definitely true that the absurd and the extreme definitely becomes closer. Though the 'slippery slope' to some degree is a fallacy it is certainly true in many circumstances.

If you've ever taught children it becomes clear that the allowance of A or B inevitably results in kids doing C & D, and if that is allowed, we eventually find ourselves progressing further until the teacher has no authority. Adults are not children but... some things still apply.

As people move further from a sense of united & consolidated standards of the good and the norm they will undoubtedly lose a great sense of the social unity that makes a society meaningful.
By Suska
Donald, I'm not at all sure what the 'Freudo-Marxist side of the debate' is, or for that matter, what do you mean by 'moralistic liberal clap-trap'? Your position is very interesting to me, but I'd like to clarify this before I comment.
By fyrenza
Suska wrote:what do you mean by 'moralistic liberal clap-trap'?

wow

I-R-O-N-Y ~ I"VE got morals, and I'm accepting of ANYTHING, so if you aren't on the same page? YOU don't.

Too bad that actually HAVING morals sort of MEANS not being accepting of any-all-every-thing ...
I'm not very good at explaining myself in esoteric matters such as this, although I do think your opinion is perfectly valid from a certain viewpoint. We're still not nearly as perverse in some ways as the Greeks and especially the Romans were at the peak of their decadent civilization, although I suppose things are more perverse in some ways as well. I've transcribed something I heard from Alan Watts as an appropriate response.

Alan Watts wrote:Now when I was a boy in school... My experience in England was quite fascinating. About, you know, when one is baptized as a child, and you don't know anything about it, and your godfathers and godmothers are your sponsors. Then there comes a time when you are about to enter into puberty, when you are confirmed. when you undertake for yourself your own baptismal vows that were made on behalf of you. And in England, confirmation into the church of England, which is Episcopalian in this country, confirmation is preceded by instruction. And this instruction consisted very largely of lessons in church history because the British approach to religion is peculiarly archaeological. It is based on the great past, the great christian saints and heroes. it's really quite interesting because it puts you the tradition of king Arthur and the knights of the round table and that sort of thing. but the time comes when every candidate for confirmation has a private chat with the school chaplain. Now obviously in every process of initiation into mysteries, from time immemorial, there has been the passing on of a secret. And so there's a certain anticipation of this very private communication, because you would think if you are being initiated in to a religion what the secret consists of is some marvelous information about the nature of god or the fundamental nature of being and so on. But not so in this case. The initiatory secret talk was a serious talk on the evils of masturbation. What these evils were were not clearly specified. and so it was vaguely hinted that ghastly diseases would result and so we used to in sort of a perverse way enjoy tormenting ourselves with imagination what sort of terrible venereal diseases: epilepsy, tuberculosis, and the great Siberian itch would result from this practice. now the extraordinary thing about it is this: that the chaplain that had in his own upbringing been given this same lecture by other chaplains and this went back some distance in history I imagine. And they all knew perfectly well that one of the characteristic behavior patterns of adolescents is ritual defiance of authority. But you have to make some protest with authority and in this you are in league with your contemporaries, your peer group and no one would dream of giving anyone else away because that would be to be a tattle tale, a skunk, definitely not one of the boys! And so therefore quite obviously masturbation provided the ideal outlet for this ritual defiance because it was fun, it was also an assertion of masculinity, and it was very very wicked!

By Suska
That is a very interesting perspective. I had a similar talk with my Bishop when I was a boy. I have never thought of it as deliberate. It was embarrassing and disturbing to be honest.

I differ with you on your opinion of the Greeks and Romans, at least Plebians anywhere were never really decadent. On the other hand there is a strong parallel. When Rome was finished it was as though no one wanted it anymore, for whatever reason, it may have even been the perfect system, but it didn't change, the spoils of it were locked tight in the people in authority. And all it took really was to let it go, and everyone let it go. The sack of Rome didn't destroy Rome, the Empire was dead already, because it had died in everyone's esteem. It wasn't - I mean - decadence that killed it. It was a game no one wanted to play. That is where we're at with the American project. The elite pumping life into it, I don't think anyone can save it, no one seems to believe that - why else get armed? Why else produce divisive issues from thin air..?
By Donna
Suska wrote:Donald, I'm not at all sure what the 'Freudo-Marxist side of the debate' is, or for that matter, what do you mean by 'moralistic liberal clap-trap'? Your position is very interesting to me, but I'd like to clarify this before I comment.

I don't really want to get into it that much. Conflicts within the capitalist ecosystem are constantly changing, though. Actually, some conservatives should be interested in the prospect of things moving so quickly that no one has any time to take up new causes anymore (or defend old ones).
By Suska
More cryptic pronouncements. I am disappoint.

Conflicts within the capitalist ecosystem are constantly changing
I would have pointed to the fact that cutthroat competition can lead to nowhere but violence. I can't say I like the term 'conservative.' Granting some ignorance on the part of social conservatives, they aren't the financier class, they are my family, my neighbors and me to some extent, though I am unconventional.
By Donna
I was hoping to avoid the same conflicts that have checkered our history.

I don't think anyone truly supports gay marriage, it's just this thing that assimilates us all. I don't see any point in gloating.
You don't think anyone genuinely supports gay marriage? That's rather cynical of you, especially if you really are homosexual and a part of the gay community as you claim to be. If everybody only supports gay marriage in order to subvert society, instead of for its own sake, then why would any homosexuals actually go through with it and stick it out for the long run?
By Potemkin
When Rome was finished it was as though no one wanted it anymore, for whatever reason, it may have even been the perfect system, but it didn't change, the spoils of it were locked tight in the people in authority. And all it took really was to let it go, and everyone let it go. The sack of Rome didn't destroy Rome, the Empire was dead already, because it had died in everyone's esteem. It wasn't - I mean - decadence that killed it. It was a game no one wanted to play.

You really know nothing about history, do you Suska?
By Suska
oh! An educator! Do tell.
By Decky
God has SAID, in no uncertain terms, that homosexuality goes against EVERYTHING He wants for us,

Maybe your god.

People have believed in god long before Christianity and probably will long after it is gone. Not all of those creations were raging bigots in the same way the Abrahamic one is.

Oh and for the record marriage also long predates Christianity, it don't belong to you guys.
By fyrenza
God, Himself, "married" Adam and Eve.

You have PRE- Adam and Eve history to share?

And, no : not "my" God; the one God.

fyi? The three major religions of this earth know Him.
By Decky
God, Himself, "married" Adam and Eve.

You have PRE- Adam and Eve history to share?

And, no : not "my" God; the one God.

Obviously there are no religions that predate yours.

fyi? The three major religions of this earth know Him.

Eh?

I assume you think Judaism is a major religion?

There more Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs than Jews.

@FiveofSwords In previous posts, you have sai[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 23, Thursday Fascists detained under defense[…]

Taiwan-China crysis.

War or no war? China holds military drills around[…]

Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I think the smaller parties will d[…]