Revenge? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By redcarpet
Just finished watching the 1998 French miniseries
'The Count of Monte Cristo' for the second time,
years after once seeing it on TV.

It reminds me of the big question about revenge. Like
is it justifiable or worth pursuing? I was able to always
get revenge in school, etc, against schoolboy bullies usually.

When it comes to the more serious adult world, no doubt
a little harder to pull off.

I'd say it's justifiable. The authorities won't always provide justice.
It is sometimes required for people to take matters into their own
hands. To ensure 'poetic justice' for the scum of the world that
would otherwise get away Scot free.

What do you think?
By killim
The book is all about revenge and it contains the obvious messages. The funny thing about is it Alexandre Dumas own biography. I paid a shitload of money decades ago to get an unbridged version in German of his most important works. Alexandre Dumas junior is great too btw.
By baltwade
Revenge is a toxin that inflicts much more damage on the purveyor than the target. If you've been wronged, then you've been wronged. There is nothing you can do to change that, and certainly purposely wronging someone in return does you no favors. It's natural to want to hurt those that have hurt you, but it's also the thinking and behavior of a child ... like throwing a tantrum.
By onemalehuman
Under universal rules of action equal to reaction, seeking revenge only leads to repeating the same mistake done by all sides seeking vengeance for acting the same way differently.

Now that I face space changing all the time currently this now moment exists eternally, I seek justice beyond language arts of both civil and criminal law building societal evolution out of time relativity and metaphors of what if real isn't self contained to this instant of combining contracting results here to details being added now using the same content of the periodic table as language uses the same alphabet to add vocabulary.

It is a whole new play on words.
By Sithsaber
Revenge is like a fugu fish. It usually poisons the consumer, and in many cases leads to their unnecessary demise. But if prepared carefully it is a delicacy, a meal you will savor forever.

Here is an example. If you truly desire revenge on a person, the strike has to be noticeable. A true act of vengeance has to swear off the element of surprise, and set off a chain of events that forces the victim to watch as the ax begins to fall. Your enemy must marinate in his growing sense of dread, and both you and he must taste the sweet flavor of death when the time comes. Revenge is best as a dull blade; the cut should not be clean, and it should be delivered as painfully as possible. Finally, revenge must never leave the possibility of recovery.

The holocrons teach that in at least this way the old way of the sith is flawed. The Jedi have surpassed us in this to our shame. They may delude themselves into believing they are above revenge, but at least they do not become drunken by it as we have been in the past. Revenge is to be shunned as a goal, a better alternative is quick and merciless eradication.
By Rainbow Crow
Thank you for sharing the wisdom of the Sith with us, Lord Vader.

Being a ninja, I prefer to not let people know it was me who attacked them. It's enough that they suffer, muahaha.
By feihua
It is a karma killer for me.

I like it in words and I like it at the poker tables. Karma comes quickly in both of those locations so it doesn't matter if I employ it or not. So, there, yeah, revenge is fun. It fuels talk and exposes aggression.

Elsewhere the wheels of justice are much slower and karma is accordingly a ferocious bitch. So I stay away from revenge and take comfort that the mental health of my occasional ventures into passive aggressiveness does indeed stay healthy.

No...the truthvis that these people are just lyin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Winston Churchill was one of Russia's great supp[…]

Legal Analysis by University Network for HumanRigh[…]

@annatar1914 That video of the Black Sun is abou[…]