The Fempocalypse... - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Stormsmith
Rei Murasame wrote:I don't expect you two to ever understand that.
I probably never will understand that, because your position seems to shift for utterly unfathomable reasons. On the one hand, mother's have the right to abort children who are viable outside of the womb, mother's have the right to deny the child access to their father, children should be seen and not heard, children have no say in anything vs "to me, their cute faces are the faces of the future" therefore society should pay for them, and bugger the wants and needs of the people whom you expect to pay for your kids.

All I'm saying is that the taxpayer is the last person who should be paying even more for the kids when the two people who made and kept the kid are perfectly capable of resolving the situation with out outside assistance, and in the bargain, teach the kids responsibility for their actions. Taxpayers already contribute to the health and education, to perinatal unemployment insurance etc, and that's enough.

A society helps each other because things like cancer befall people randomly, but its predictable that X number of people per year will be afflicted and collectively we decided to have insurance plans to protect us from an unforeseen crisis. Pregnancy is in the control of the individuals. If they chose to have and keep the child, they do so consciously, and the parents should be the ones who deal with it because they are the ones who had all the control and all the choices.

And this emotional argument of give-me-money-for-this-most-important-job presupposes the parents, who undertake this job of their own accord and with complete lack of evidence that they're in a position to do the job even just adequately will somehow amazingly manage to do a good job. As an argument, this isn't up to much.
Stormsmith wrote:I probably never will understand that, because your position seems to shift for utterly unfathomable reasons. On the one hand, mother's have the right to abort children who are viable outside of the womb, mother's have the right to deny the child access to their father, children should be seen and not heard, children have no say in anything vs "to me, their cute faces are the faces of the future" therefore society should pay for them, and bugger the wants and needs of the people whom you expect to pay for your kids.

I don't see how this is a shift in my position at all. It makes perfect sense if you remember that I think that mothers are the reproductive deciders and the de facto heads of households, and that those who make it to childbirth are projects which the nation is invested in.

Everything I say on this subject arises out of the same foundation.

Stormsmith wrote:All I'm saying is that the taxpayer is the last person who should be paying even more for the kids when the two people who made and kept the kid are perfectly capable of resolving the situation with out outside assistance

Obviously they are not capable of resolving anything, or your system would not be having to force one of them to pay the other one money, would it?

Stormsmith wrote:Taxpayers already contribute to the health and education, to perinatal unemployment insurance etc, and that's enough.

Why is that enough?
By Rich
When she said about no successful matriarchies, what about the Iroquois? They seem to have pretty successful, within their context. Maybe you wouldn't want to call them a matriachy but they certainly weren't a patriarchy. Also was not our great success against the inferior Muslim and Confusian cultures at least partly if not largely because they were more patriarchal?
By Rich
Thompson_NCL wrote:In what sense did their being 'more patriarchal' cause their defeat? I am not even sure that is true, but I am interested in your argument.

Well I don't have any worked out theories or propositions. It doesn't take too much investigation to work out why we beat the Maori or the Inca, but the question arises why Europe succeeded over Chinese, Hindu and Muslim cultures. Patriarchy involves the domination of man by man as well as woman by man. One could postulate various ways in which our monogamous(Socially Imposed Universal Monogamy) culture with its relatively high status of women and relatively low inequality may have given us an advantage. In fact the author talks like SIUM was the norm in traditional societies when in fact it was the exception.
Here's an example paper: http://www.princeton.edu/~pswpc/pdfs/scheidel/060807.pdf I don't say it is correct or even accurate just that it explores questions that should be asked.
SIUM with chattel slavery imposed upon imported outgroups added to it, seems to have operated a way to motivate males. It was a form of patriarchy, Rich.

SIUM curtailed female mate selection and gave every man a chance at getting an officially-recognised wife no matter how repugnant he might be. And chattel slavery allowed them to also have sex on the side with the slave women, and the vision of that kept them all conscious that no matter how low on the ladder they might be, there was always the slaves below them.

That form of egalitarianism and community between dominant men (males agreeing to divide the spoils of humanity among themselves and engage in mass miscegenation), may have been a factor in their triumphs, but no one can really be sure. What we can be sure of is that regardless of what effects SIUM may have had that helped those cultures that used it back then, it's certainly not the best thing that ever happened to humanity, and it's definitely bad for humans in this epoch.

A new way is needed. But I have said this before.
By skeptic-1
Rei Murasame"Stormsmith"]I probably never will understand that, because your position seems to shift for utterly unfathomable reasons. On the one hand, mother's have the right to abort children who are viable outside of the womb, mother's have the right to deny the child access to their father, children should be seen and not heard, children have no say in anything vs "to me, their cute faces are the faces of the future" therefore society should pay for them, and bugger the wants and needs of the people whom you expect to pay for your kids I don't see how this is a shift in my position at all. It makes perfect sense if you remember that I think that mothers are the reproductive deciders and the de facto heads of households, and that those who make it to childbirth are projects which the nation is invested in.

Everything I say on this subject arises out of the same foundation.

Stormsmith wrote:All I'm saying is that the taxpayer is the last person who should be paying even more for the kids when the two people who made and kept the kid are perfectly capable of resolving the situation with out outside assistance

Obviously they are not capable of resolving anything, or your system would not be having to force one of them to pay the other one money, would it?

"Stormsmith"]Taxpayers already contribute to the health and education, to perinatal unemployment insurance etc, and that's enough. Why is that enough?

skeptic-1

Man has the historic responsibility To protect and provide for a spouse and what they might jointly produce.

Women carry an unequal burden as the bearer of such production and have the right to terminate it.

Once a child is born however our human population also has vested upon it interest in the child until it reaches maturity.
By layman
Okay, I'll say it unvarnished: Children have no say. They have no say in anything, and ought to be seen and not heard.

Unless they want a sex change, aged 5. In that case break out the scissors
Well, in that very unlikely scenario, they would not be the ones actually making the judgement call, right? After all, the parent must agree for anything to actually happen. Furthermore, as far as I am aware, no one can feasibly do that kind of operation on a 5 year old, because the organ they'd be attempting to operate on would still be developing.

So I have no idea how you even came up with that example.
The assertion that "feminism will eventually bring about social and economic collapse," is false irrespective of one's position on the merits of feminism as a movement. The narrator is oddly putting the cart before the horse. Feminism as an ideal has been extant for millennia, but it is the rise of liberalism/industrial capitalism that enabled it to become an effective political force.
quetzalcoatl wrote:The assertion that "feminism will eventually bring about social and economic collapse," is false irrespective of one's position on the merits of feminism as a movement. The narrator is oddly putting the cart before the horse. Feminism as an ideal has been extant for millennia, but it is the rise of liberalism/industrial capitalism that enabled it to become an effective political force.

Except that it was agriculture and settling in to fixed territories that enabled property ownership, and women joining the list of properties that a man could own, and voila...we have the rise of patriarchies!

It's not as if patriarchy was some sort of inevitable dynamic based on male virtues or qualities (aggression, upper body strength etc.), and women have had to wait until the rise of enlightened capitalism to gain some degree of rights and equality. If we go back prior to age of agriculture, when most hunter/gatherer tribes had to travel frequently, and therefore own no property, women were equal to men. And let's not pretend that this model that conservatives spout off as the ideal today - monogamous marriage for life is the only model for family life. FWIW, I've been living a traditional marriage for 25 years myself, but I recognize that I am just living within the constraints of the society I grew up in, so my wife and I have just been making the best of what's available.

FWIW, I was sent a link to this idiot's videos a couple of years ago by someone calling himself a "men's rights activist." Also known by the acronym - MRA, these clowns are a bunch of losers who harass women who post on Youtube and forums. This broad is one of their convenient tokens, so misogynists who blame women for their own sense of inadequacy can point and say 'there's a woman who agrees with us!' It's no different than the role that uncle toms like Herman Cain and Michael Steele play for teabagger Republicans who use their b.s. to try to deflect any questions about racism.

The worse thing about this stupid broad's defense of patriarchy is that the worst aspects of patriarchy: men who abandoned families during the Depression, little or no recourse for married women to deal with abusive husbands etc., that led to the 'nanny state' that this idiot is carping about, are the reasons why the women who won the right to vote after WWI, were the ones leading the push to reform capitalist societies...to at least get social programs set up to help those who had previously been left destitute. If this dingbat is married, what the hell would she be saying if her husband started abusing her? or skipped out and left her and the kids? Then she would be dialing the numbers of all of those nanny state programs that she's complaining about right now....just like every other right wing hypocrite hates government....until they need the government to help them!

The only thing that's relatively accurate about the video is likely the accidental realization that "traditional" marriage is very fragile and may be even unnatural for the majority of people. And that's because what made monogamy so important is the fact that a good marriage is about the only long term relationship we can count on in this day and age where family life has been fractured by the breaking of extended family bonds. Most of the reason belonging to the same capitalistic forces that social conservatives somehow consider virtues. But, that aside, the clear lesson is that if the government is providing much of the role that the female collective did in traditional hunter/gatherer societies, then pair-bonding and the importance and identity of the father is of little consequence.

So, I guess this right wing woman has decided to attack those social structures that pregnant women and women with young children turn to for help....because a desperate woman will suck it up and keep her mouth shut and put up with a marriage, regardless of how bad it is!
By Suska
it was agriculture and settling in to fixed territories that enabled property ownership, and women joining the list of properties that a man could own, and voila...we have the rise of patriarchies!
Wow. Ok. In a hostile frontier environment men don't need to "own" a woman, they just need to be capable of protecting them. The big bullies, always protectin and shit.
Suska wrote:Wow. Ok. In a hostile frontier environment men don't need to "own" a woman, they just need to be capable of protecting them. The big bullies, always protectin and shit.

Right; but being as brief as possible about centuries of history, it is believed to be the pattern of violence and territorial fighting that lowered the status of women and elevated men. For example, in several places in the Old Testament (the blueprint for patriarchy) patriarchs of note are "blessed with many sons," not daughters! Sons are important to the patriarch's little private army as he defends his possessions (which include the wives he has bought or stolen from others).

I'm not saying that agriculture and living in fixed locations made patriarchy and female oppression inevitable; but it did make it possible, while the role of women in prior hunter/gatherer societies was too crucial to make it possible for women to be reduced to the social status of chattel. And example of how it all might have turned out differently for the course of history is if we compare the Indus Valley cities of the Harappans with Sumer and the Nile River settlements. Where Sumeria set the stage for patriarchy and "Judeo-Christian" values, as they are called today, the largest Indus River city of Mohenjo-Daro was a model of equality, where no temples or palaces were built, the only large structures appear to be for grain storage or public use such as public baths, and every house appears to have been built according to the same floor plan and exactly the same size.

No doubt that sounds boring and conformist today, but the best speculation (since the few hieroglyphics found have nothing equivalent to the Rosetta Stone to enable translation) is that the Harappan culture was still following the communitarian values of their migratory past, and the as yet unknown religious core value system rigidly enforced these equal standards. Actually not a great deal is known about the status of women in the ancient city, except that statues and artwork of women indicate that they had a much greater public role than the women of Sumer were able to enjoy during the same time period.

And scanning over the origins of where our modern values came from should show why it is like pulling at a thread in a ball of yarn! It's hard to address the issue of where these "traditional values" that woman cited as the reference point in her video actually came from without trying to take a quick glossing look at thousands of years of history.

FWIW, I noticed a recent article from a Huffpost blogger that covers some of factoids in the middle between the origins of patriarchy until the modern era where we are still arguing about what marriage is and what it should be:
Changing Notions of Traditional Marriage

In actuality, traditional marriage -- as it existed centuries ago -- is not worth defending.

Let's start with concubines, also known as mistresses, who were owned by husbands in ancient cultures and are mentioned without disapproval throughout the Hebrew Bible. Then there's the practice of polygamy, which was the norm in biblical times. Back then, tradition forced rape victims to marry their rapist. Tradition also called for victorious soldiers to make female war prisoners their wives and concubines.

In the Middle Ages, marriages were arranged for political and financial reasons, and girls could be forced to marry when they were as young as 12 years old. British Common Law held a man to be "lord and master" of his wife who was subject to "domestic chastisement." Wife beating was legal and common in England until the late 1800s.

In colonial America, wife beating was illegal, but marriage equaled patriarchy. A wife had no legal rights or existence apart from her husband. Any money or property she inherited belonged to him. Their children were his as well. Wife abuse was not uncommon.

In 1864 a North Carolina court heard the case of a woman abused by her husband because she had called him names. The court ruled that:

A husband is responsible for the acts of his wife, and he is required to govern his household, and for that purpose the law permits him to use towards his wife such a degree of force as is necessary to control an unruly temper and make her behave herself; and unless some permanent injury be inflicted, or there be an excess of violence, or such a degree of cruelty as shows that it is inflicted to gratify his own bad passions, the law will not invade the domestic forum, or go behind the curtain.

It wasn't until the 20th century, when women fought for and won the right to vote, to sign contracts on their own, to obtain financial credit, to have access to contraception and more, that these earlier notions of traditional marriage began to crumble, and something resembling the institution we recognize today began to emerge.

But each of the advances for women's equality was fought by forces that considered them an invasion of the sacred private realm of the home and an assault on the family. Even so, these advances became part of law and culture and are now the norm. In fact, they are embedded in the institution that conservatives are now so fiercely defending.

Marriage has always been dynamic. For the most part, its evolution has been positive. Marriage today is far more mutually supportive, egalitarian and secure for children than it was centuries ago. Take heart, conservatives. The institution of marriage does change and adapt over the years, and that is what makes it endure.

If I haven't presented the reason yet why I view the attempts to unwind the reforms made by feminism as dangerous and something for men as well as women to fight against, it's because I feel that the traditions of patriarchy - nationalisms, social hierarchies, making war and concentrating resources on war, are all social virtues that are clear vices today and need to treated as vices if the human race has any future on this planet. It's not that all women are liberals who want to focus on family and social programs and against war funding, but more women taking more of a role in how our societies are governed is going to be essential to making the future less focused on guns and bombs, and more focused on improving the environment and living standards.

And, I don't buy an earlier point that implied that gender equality was a natural result of modern liberal capitalism. Sure, the marketing industry loved the idea of having women in the workplace so they could become more prolific consumers and business in general liked having more women in the workforce also. But, as many feminists have noted for years - that the right to work has often meant the right to work for less money than men and total indifference to concerns regarding safety and affordable child care. Workplace or not, the conservatives, the capitalists, the war mongers, all see rolling back the achievements of women over the last century as an essential part of furthering their goals. That's the real fempocalypse!
By Suska
In a violently competitive environment masculine traits become necessary for the merest form of survival of a culture. Recent changes are ambiguous, that women have traded their personal man for an impersonal state-husband. Much blame being cast on men, the term patriarchy being heavily slandered, it moves me to remind you people that in the historic perspective, that in their allure women have made themselves commodities and men have honored their value. Blame is not appropriate in one direction if it is not appropriate in both directions and the questions before us are momentous and unprecedented in many ways.
In the past, the greater the degree of violence a tribe had to deal with, the more likely the status of men would be higher than women...the Scythians and other tribes in the Crimean region who had warrior women that made the Ancient Greeks so afraid of women gaining power, would be a noteable exception. But, the question then is, in this day and age, with what we know of the consequences of jingoistic nationalism and empire-building and spending all our money on guns and shit, why are we doing it?

Back about 10 years ago, when I considered my leanings to be libertarian, I used to listen to the Cato Institute podcasts. One episode where one of their wonks was lamenting how the era of big government could be shown to correlate with women gaining the right to vote, started me rethinking a lot of previous assumptions.
By Suska
what we know of the consequences of jingoistic nationalism and empire-building and spending all our money on guns and shit, why are we doing it?
For whatever reason, but never without regard for women. It is the normal and the wrongest possible assumption in the modern world that individuals are primarily sexless citizens without natural preferences about the course of their life - and therefore have no use for or cause for natural dissatisfaction with the modern environment. I don't think it's unreasonable that many men seek out war zones, considering the regard they generally get at home for their pride and bravery. The dissolution of marriage into the perverse and romantic - mere appetite - represents a total lack of regard for historical forces and such a regard is to say the least, not the competitive spirit cultures require to survive.

That said, I am comfortable with what may come as a result of gender animosity. Let the world fall apart if love is dishonored and marriage discarded.
Suska wrote: I don't think it's unreasonable that many men seek out war zones, considering the regard they generally get at home for their pride and bravery.

I just happened to her the audio edition of the latest Frontline Club episode - The Unreported Price Of War . The theme is a necessary antidote to all of the jingoistic nonsense about battle and warfare that permeates commercial media today in movies, TV, and infotainment "news" broadcasts on the wars. Yes, some young men think it will be a rush to be on the frontline and engage in fire fights with enemies, until they are actually in the war zone long enough to see how people really die in war! From WWII to Afghanistan, many become deserters, most return with some psychological damage....except for psychopaths of course! The psychopath is the one who is most cut out for war, and rises through the ranks....until he commits war crimes that can't be covered up, or carries on with his hobbies after returning home from war.

Even if it is argued that celebrating war and dying in battle is a good thing, it is not any longer anywhere in a world with over 7 billion people armed with thousands of nuclear weapons! If that somehow limits masculinity and male virtues, so be it!

The dissolution of marriage into the perverse and romantic - mere appetite - represents a total lack of regard for historical forces and such a regard is to say the least, not the competitive spirit cultures require to survive.

The modern conservative ideal of marriage is romantic and often perverse, when it involves people who aren't cut out for marriage. We've been over this already: "traditional marriage" is a modern construct, no more than a couple of centuries old that has come about as a result of the pressures of social dislocation and an economic ideal based on ruthless individualism.
That said, I am comfortable with what may come as a result of gender animosity. Let the world fall apart if love is dishonored and marriage discarded.

If you're comfortable with it, you're either being ironic or you're sick or something, because gender animosity began as soon as women wanted to be treated as adults, and not as the property of their husbands or fathers. In today's straining economic times, women are becoming targets for derision, verbal and physical abuse by men who are losing their jobs or falling behind on bills and looking for someone or something to blame for their situation. Women in the middle class and above, may not feel that their rights or their physical safety is being threatened today; but a lot of women who are further down the income ladder are at risk.

Ultimately, what sense does it make to be at war with half the population? If we look at the most oppressive societies today - like the Islamic theocracies, the harms caused to women also affect the children and degrade the entire society. And the healthiest, most liveable societies, not surprisingly are the ones with greater equality.
By Suska
Marriage is a bulwark of civilization in that it routes man's and woman's instincts into a personal act of equilibrium with each other. What you propose would place men in a permanent condition of submission and dishonor, and you justify this with social-liberal jingoism, a ridiculously warped view of history, with rumors of oppression, and a pathetic appeal to idealism.
By Someone5
Rei Murasame wrote:When I refer to 'self-help narratives', I'm referring specifically to the Samuel Smiles dogma, where he says that no one in society is responsible for anyone else, and that hard work is all that matters.

In other words the basis of the British liberal morality system. Also known as utter trash morality system.

I call for a balanced approach instead, which in the Anglo-Saxon world is apparently like calling for rape and murder, the way that you all react to it.

Umm, it is basically the philosophical equivalent of calling for rape and murder. Totally outside the contours of acceptable debate.

No...the truthvis that these people are just lyin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Winston Churchill was one of Russia's great supp[…]

Legal Analysis by University Network for HumanRigh[…]

@annatar1914 That video of the Black Sun is abou[…]