Society Needs Balance, Rome Needs Carthage - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
NOTE: there is no high, exact terms and this is unpretentious and just an idea from a layman.

Never be too good at what you do; never be too successful.

Success defeats the point of having goals...

Later Romans viewed the destruction of Carthage and the emergence as the superpower a grave mistake for Roman society: it lead them to an era of decadence that lead to their downfall. They became the Carthage that Cato the Elder despised -- the fat, opulent power drifting into a world of terribly individualistic values and spineless culture.

When you achieve everything and leave yourself the sole victor, the balance ends.

I look at this socially -- a society which is overly individualistic loses all of the benefits of a collective culture, and an overly collective, repressive culture loses the benefits of individuality. Both extremes are unworthy.

Every tale of two enemies is a romantic tale; there is a meaningful, profound relationship between the extremes that make each one worthy. When one takes over, its existence is jeopardized by becoming an extreme manifestation of something that is only good in moderation.

The perfect social existence affords the individual the ability to rebel, but more than that, it affords them the Romance of rebellion. It also gives the 'culture warrior' fighting for common sense values over individual excess a meaningful place.

The truth of the matter is that this situation produces an inherent sense of happiness and dignity to both sides.

This is exactly why I hate the popularization of alternative culture, homosexuality, drug use, alcoholism, controversial art and music, etc. And it is exactly why I never want to see a government directly enforce the morals of the society on the people yet at the same time be reflective of the common, popular culture and have an amount of regulation towards the alternative.

Punk rock with gigantic venues and promoters selling the rebellion to the people is just as sad as punk rock being shut down by the government.

Homosexuals, alcoholics, drug addicts, whoremongers, criminals and other social deviants being popularized marks the downfall of the common good by undermining the collective sense of identity a nation has and convincing the average peon that they, too, can be "cool rebels" in their own right when they should probably just be giving the actual cool people sideways glances full of mockery on the streets. However, it is also a terrible tragedy when alternative people are jailed for good and shut down.

I think true romantics might understand what I mean...

When social deviancy and rebellion is popularized I become nothing more than another confused member of a dying civilization.

When society has no sense of normality, I can have no sense of meaningful individuality.
When society is sick, I can no longer rejoice in my own sickness.

I think that the Journey is the reward.

I think that in your victory you will be sad because there will be no war left; in your victory, you will find yourself looking towards a vapid, empty life. Your hope will be destroyed. Your dreams will be dead. Your meaning will be erased.

A few weeks ago Lindsay Lohan was wearing a Descendents shirt. MTV is singing songs about homosexuality. Popular bands have already spoken that they want to be the minority and they were even once punks.

I think we'd all be happier if we could have meaning in our rebellion and a careful balance.
By Muslim
Verv wrote:Later Romans viewed the destruction of Carthage and the emergence as the superpower a grave mistake for Roman society: it lead them to an era of decadence that lead to their downfall. They became the Carthage that Cato the Elder despised -- the fat, opulent power drifting into a world of terribly individualistic values and spineless culture.

True, but it is inevitable. Civilizations, like living organisms, have life cycles. There must be some moment when the curve can't grow any more and has no where to go but to start shrinking.
By Verv
You are right, Muslim.

However, I think in some ways a life cycle can be extended before the slow death that luxury affords them kills them off.

You did not answer the question, @Pants-of-dog . […]

If you ignore the humans rights abuses and rewri[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

still, Compared to the corrupt Putin´s familie s […]

World War II Day by Day

May 14, Tuesday Germany takes Holland At dawn[…]