Alienation in your own backyard. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By QatzelOk
Sometimes, I start up an interesting conversation, only to see them walk off as if they have something really important to do. But then later, it turns out that they just don't have very good social skills.

And this probably has a serious impact on society by increasing loneliness and despair as common feelings, which then leads to loss in productivity and loss in creativity.

Perhaps Kumatto could recommend a reading on this topic?
By Erebus
There's a difference? :eh:

It's hard, I know, but there is. :lol:
By Zyx
QatzelOk wrote:Perhaps Kumatto could recommend a reading on this topic?

:rainbow:

*flattered*

Sorry, I do not now any particular reading on social isolation. The last that I heard was that Durkheim had analyzed its effect with respect to suicide and the modern era. His suicide research justified Sociology as a field of study and his modern era studies brought into currency the term "anonymity" which I learned referred to the (predicted temporary) normlessness of society due to capitalism being introduced. It can be said that Durkheim did not predict correctly as normlessness is still going on and causing the social isolation that we have, so I'd think that a modern sociologist under Durkheim (considered one of the big three along with Weber [popular for his class analysis as per means of production and SES, as opposed to Marx' strict means of production] and Marx wherein a Neo-Marxist is one who combines Marx and Weber {like Eric Olin Wright}) may have the latest explanations and experiments regarding social isolation. If you can find something, I'd like to know. I was supposed to have read some of Durkheim's writings by now, but I forgot to. Sorry.
By millie_(A)TCK

I don't think the isolation of people is so bad. Its rather balanced IMO. You can easily make friends if you choose to. What do you want people in the Bus talking to each other and everywhere else for that matter 24/7? If I see an interesting person, I go talk to them but I don't want to talk to everyone and not all the time.
By QatzelOk
If I see an interesting person, I go talk to them...

What does "interesting" mean if you haven't met the person yet?

What was wrong with talking to strangers a century ago?

Is there anything positive that can come about by talking to people who are different from yourself?

...Most whites see in Trump the last Option to ke[…]

...this inanity... inane: empy of meaning or […]

What, exactly, are you accusing me of that is unc[…]

No surprises here, the democrats (including MSNBC)[…]