Is it just me or is Firefox 41 stupidly unstable? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

I tried logging into facebook on my Linux system, which only runs Firefox 33, and it wasn't long before FF crashed. So I can't place the blame squarely on FF 41. But at the same time, FF41 has been crashing to hell and back on websites OTHER THAN Facebook, and those websites didn't give FF 40 any shit at all.

What is going on here?
Well that's weird I just checked and my Tumbleweed which is the rolling release version of opensuse is only on Firefox 38.0.6 for some reason. Kubuntu 14.04 on my laptop is on Firefox 41.0. It seems OK but I only just updated.
Katie Boundary wrote:
On two different computers, running different operating systems and different versions of Firefox, visiting different websites.

God hates me.

Try another browser. Maybe you have an intermittent connection?

Also investigate things like flash player and Java script.
There are always some bugs in a new version of Firefox. I have not updated my Firefox browser for over a year as Firefox 32 works just fine as my secondary browser.

If you are not aware yet, there has been a new Mozilla Firefox update recently and already we can see that some users are complaining about various Firefox update problems after installing. The latest version of Mozilla Firefox to download is 41 and it’s now available on OS X, Windows 10, Linux and Android. Firstly, if you need a recap of what is new in Mozilla Firefox 41 you can check out the official notes over on Mozilla’s website here.
http://www.product-reviews.net/2015/09/ ... -download/
Firefox has become shit over the last decade :/ I think it is one of those things where you build a structure and then various waves of interest and influence infuse it with new life
Zerogouki 2 wrote:That wouldn't cause Firefox to become unresponsive.

Never underestimate web programmers' ability to crash a web browser . A poorly scripted website might bork its tab for the most trivial reasons... And once a tab does hang, whether or not it takes the client down with it is pretty much luck. If the borked tabs manage to hog the memory and CPU cycles allocated to the process the interface hangs, otherwise it doesn't.

The only way to truly prevent a browser from hanging when a website freezes is to have separate processes for every tab, which Firefox doesn't.
KlassWar wrote:The only way to truly prevent a browser from hanging when a website freezes is to have separate processes for every tab, which Firefox doesn't.
I've only recently started playing around with the web at a code level. But one of essential goals of Unix was to make it cheap to start multiple processes. Every bash command launches in its own process. Presumably then any infinite javascript loop could crash the browser.
Infinite javascript loops and the like will hang the tab and the thread/process handling it, no ifs no buts.

At this point you're at the mercy of the browser's error handling code. If it manages to fire up then it can usually kill the offending plugin, make the interface responsive and allow you to close the dead tab. Otherwise you're outta luck and any unsaved text gets sacrificed to the gods of the interwebz :P.

A browser with a process-per-tab architecture makes it less likely that the interface will crash outright... But enterprising bug-makers still manage to do it anyway.
Jesus Javascript is crap, one of the advantages of a scripting language is that you run it in a vm making isolation easy. It looks like some noddy language that some guy just knocked together on his own in ten days!

The very term "Zionist" now has taken on[…]

The world is not a Nazi paradise with color codes[…]

...People tend to empathize with victims of viole[…]

Charles de Gaulle's (French president from Januar[…]