Deep Learning Machine beats humans in IQ test - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

I quote from the abstract:

Second, we obtain distributed representations of words and relations by leveraging a novel word embedding method that considers the multi-sense nature of words and the relational knowledge among words (or their senses) contained in dictionaries.

Easy.
I didn't want to answer too quickly so as not to take over the thread, but since I have been receiving crotocosm for one line posts I think I will post some ideas here.

I agree this isn't hugely significant, but ot does bring up some very relevant concerns(?). 1. We have no actual way to delineate human intelligence from artificoal intelligence. IQ is in my opinion mostly a joke, but it has long been used as one of the only "objective" benchmarks that we have. If MLA (machine learning algorithms) are passing the only test we have to guage intelligence by definition we should be saying they are intelligent. Obviously no one is saying this program is in any way sentient or conscious so this highlights 2 weaknesses that we have. 1 How to define (human?) Intelligence objectively. 2. How to tell when MLA are experiencing consciousness and not just passing an arbitrary standard.

And please don't bring up the Turing test as an objective standard, because it is not seen as such by most in computer science. However, with that said this is still an interesting development in natural language processing and it shows we are getting closer to the day where your kids/grandkids will be able to ask their computer an abstract question about something they're learning in class and receive an intelligible, coherent, and relevant answer. Also, since this trained system operates at the level between someone with a bachelor's degree and someone with a master's degree it can be adapted for use as a virtual assistant for hunting down answers to queries say for the fbi investigating a crime, an author seeking a referwnce for a book, a journalist looking for a key reference, or a scientist seeking the historical background of a particular problem. Anyhow, hopefully that is interesting to some. Peace!

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]