Titan, a goldmine in space? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Dave
MB wrote:All life on the earth is an outgrowth of the planet, and so if anything we belong to this rock.

And what does this rock want us to do?
By dwix
MB. wrote:Can you explore more thoroughly the relationship between life and the planet? Specifically focusing on the parts which state that life 'owns' the planet?d

Life is to be preferred over non-life. If you reject this principle, than any and all moral systems go out of the window. From this, the propagation of life must be promoted. The "rock" is not going to do anything about it - it's a rock. Life must use the rock to spread throughout the universe. What's the point of a universe devoid of life? Nada.

Furthermore, I'd argue that space colonization is the most effective way to preserve life (avoids problems like deadly virus, supervolcanos and space impacts, etc. etc.). While you may argue that Life originated on the rock, that doesn't mean the rock dictates what happens to Life - since the rock won't be dictating anything anyway. You use "own" like it's a pejorative, but honestly, there's no alternative.
By Zagadka
Space colonization ought to be the main goal of humanity. I mean, BIG time commitment. Imagine if we committed 25% of our resources - our work, knowledge and power - to making the final frontier habitable.

... imagine if we committed 25% of our resources to curing common diseases, eliminating warlords, and establishing stable economies.

The field of space exploration is something that literally takes a few thousand highly specialized people, and that's it. For now, most of what they do is jotting down theories in notebooks to make their pipedreams seem practical.

In any case, before you develop an effective ion engine or solar sail or whatever that still will take years to get to the mostly empty space outside of the solar system, you first need to figure out things like growing potential foods like algae and recycling of water, air, and biomaterial. In the meantime, a few guys can think about wormholes and a few more can crack atoms. 25% of our resources devoted to space exploration would result in a shitload of people sitting around doing nothing waiting for scientific advances to allow anything to become remotely feasible.

Ok, I'm on board then. I'm pretty sure this is m[…]

Even clans can say that. So can different e.g. wh[…]

Moscow empire is definitely the junior partner […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Say what ? Stalins soviet union could not find a[…]