American man goes to Chile, gets shot and killed - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
ingliz wrote:Shooter bias
Several experimental studies by social psychologists, in which college students are tested playing computer game simulations, have uncovered racial bias in their decisions to shoot.

Perhaps there's some truth to that, but the larger factor causing this is that black people are the shooters. Black people are more likely to live in areas with lots of other black people. (Especially when talking about the higher crime areas)

88.6% of blacks who are shot and killed were killed by other blacks.
(statistics source: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... able-6.xls )

So while it may be partially true that black persons are more likely be shot due to bias by whites, that could only a very small part of the explanation for why blacks are more likely to get shot.
@Puffer Fish

88.6% of blacks who are shot and killed were killed by other blacks.

Unconscious bias - the pre-reflective attribution of particular qualities by an individual to a member of some social out-group - makes it more likely blacks would shoot blacks. Being black among blacks does not make the bias go away.

:lol:
late wrote:Shooting the messenger??

Try reading the news, we're in a historic wave of racism...

I actually think it's the other way around, racism (real or imagined) is constantly being called out. Well, depending on who's the victim of course.

Note that this has nothing to do with the shitty published social psychology research on unconscious racism (and everything else for that matter, the field is a dumpster fire). Hence how @ingliz can quote some shitty paper with an experiment based on 18 undergrad students and pass it as "science".
wat0n wrote:That's not what was being tested in the paper. Why don't you read it or one of the articles about it so you can comment further?

Simply put, there're plenty of shitty papers around claiming to find something that is not there.

Those papers are based on results of studies. Do you know how studies start? The researchers ask for participation from residents in the surrounding areas and they try to get participation that is representative of the general population which is not easy to do. They use a sample of responses and write the paper based on responses. Are you calling those respondents liars? If so, you are calling a lot of people liars.
MistyTiger wrote:Those papers are based on results of studies. Do you know how studies start? The researchers ask for participation from residents in the surrounding areas and they try to get participation that is representative of the general population which is not easy to do. They use a sample of responses and write the paper based on responses. Are you calling those respondents liars? If so, you are calling a lot of people liars.

They don't

Study 1, referred to in this thread, had 18 undergrad students. That's it.

Study 2, purporting to confirm study 1, took and reanalyzed the data from a somewhat larger study and had 45 respondents "from the community" (recruited in DMV offices, with an overrepresentation of Hispanics in the source study) and 31 cops recruited from Denver's PD. There was no random selection of the people from either group (they would only be randomly assigned AFTER showing up, which is not exactly random) or a sampling frame to draw from in the study these cases were drawn from. Participation in the original study was obviously voluntary. I have no idea how the subsample in the previous study was selected, why didn't they reuse all of it or how would their treatment be defined.

The paper can be read here:

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... n_to_shoot

The original paper they drew their sample for study 2 from is here:

https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/relea ... 261006.pdf

It is a well known and by now accepted fact these social psychology experiments generally fail to replicate when using larger samples.

Wiki wrote:In psychology

Despite issues with replicability being pervasive across scientific fields, several factors have combined to put psychology at the center of the conversation.[25][26] Some areas of psychology once considered solid, such as social priming, have come under increased scrutiny due to failed replications.[27] Much of the focus has been on the area of social psychology,[28] although other areas of psychology such as clinical psychology,[29][30][31] developmental psychology,[32][33][34] and educational research have also been implicated.[35][36][37][38][39]

In August 2015, the first open empirical study of reproducibility in psychology was published, called The Reproducibility Project: Psychology. Coordinated by psychologist Brian Nosek, researchers redid 100 studies in psychological science from three high-ranking psychology journals (Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, and Psychological Science). 97 of the original studies had significant effects, but of those 97, only 36% of the replications yielded significant findings (p value below 0.05).[11] The mean effect size in the replications was approximately half the magnitude of the effects reported in the original studies. The same paper examined the reproducibility rates and effect sizes by journal and discipline. Study replication rates were 23% for the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 48% for Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, and 38% for Psychological Science. Studies in the field of cognitive psychology had a higher replication rate (50%) than studies in the field of social psychology (25%).[40]

A study published in 2018 in Nature Human Behaviour replicated 21 social and behavioral science papers from Nature and Science, finding that only about 62% could successfully reproduce original results.[41][42]

Similarly, in a study conducted under the auspices of the Center for Open Science, a team of 186 researchers from 60 different laboratories (representing 36 different nationalities from six different continents) conducted replications of 28 classic and contemporary findings in psychology.[43][44] The study's focus was not only whether the original papers' findings replicated but also the extent to which findings varied as a function of variations in samples and contexts. Overall, 50% of the 28 findings failed to replicate despite massive sample sizes. But if a finding replicated, then it replicated in most samples. If a finding was not replicated, then it failed to replicate with little variation across samples and contexts. This evidence is inconsistent with a proposed explanation that failures to replicate in psychology are likely due to changes in the sample between the original and replication study.[44]

Results of a 2022 study suggest that many earlier brain–phenotype studies ("brain-wide association studies" (BWAS)) produced invalid conclusions as the replication of such studies requires samples from thousands of individuals due to small effect sizes.[45][46]

As I mentioned, this whole thing exploded when a social psychology paper purported to have shown with several experiments that people could have premonitions about the future. Needless to say, the experiments did not replicate when they were done again using larger samples (much larger than the 90-120 subjects that were originally used, which are larger than those used in the paper at hand and in the ballpark of the sizes considered in the original study where the data from study 2 came from).

Don't blame me for not believing the results of experiments that included few subjects, simply because they were published in journals with editors and referees keen on that type of research (in their defense, there's probably not nearly enough funding for them to get the sample sizes they need for all the studies they want. If they pay people $20 por participating then they would easily need $20,000 in funding just for paying the subjects, not counting the overall costs of recruitment like posting ads, the cost of performing the actual experiments, paying their own salaries and their research assistants, etc and there are hundreds of teams working in this kind of thing nationally).
Last edited by wat0n on 03 May 2023 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
@wat0n

Is that yes directed at me?

If so, I will decline. Either you think I am a trustable source when it comes to providing information for a debate, or you think I am a manipulative liar. Since you have openly stated on numerous occasions that I am the latter, it logically excludes you from the former.

And since you believe I am not a trusted source of information, I will assume that you have some other ulterior motive for asking me.
@Pants-of-dog you are not a reliable source of information, but you can always provide a link to the stats just like I did.

At least the stats I found don't make a distinction between gun and other homicide. Honestly, that seems to be mostly an American concern, for obvious reasons.
I cannot wait for @late‘s response.

Non- Chileans will lie about Chilean gun homicide statistics!

Issues with some implicit bias tests means unconscious racism does not exist!

It is the fault of black people!

Where will this thread go next?!
wat0n wrote:this is evidently false

Are you sure?

US deaths Vietnam War (1954-73): 58,220

Average number of deaths per year: 3064

or

If this helps, we could take the...

Worst year of the war (1968): 16,899

and compare it to the worst year for gun deaths in the US to date.;

US homicides by gun in 2021: 20,958

US suicides by gun in 2021: 26,328
Last edited by ingliz on 03 May 2023 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

The Times of Israel Smotrich vows more settlement[…]

...commercial media...social media... Commercia[…]

It now appears that Pres. Biden wasn't simply bluf[…]

Omg lol.. your history is so screwed up. Firsly..[…]