Ned Kelly: Hero or Villian? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Thunderhawk
Read the Jerilderie letter. Then read a biography of Kelly. And then report back.

{I} Read the wikipedia article before I posted.

I have no{w} re-read the Jerilderie letter.

After thinking about it a bit more, I still stand by my previous statement.

He mentioned a plight that many people were probably thinking of. He gave it some attention - that is a good step to begin a campaign.

But other then that, what did he do to further that campaign?

{bloody typos}
Last edited by Thunderhawk on 04 Sep 2006 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
By Maxim Litvinov
Well, we know Ned Kelly didn't start a revolution or clean up the Victorian police force or similar, but these things are not necessary for him to be an historical 'hero'.

I think we both agree that for Kelly to historically have been some sort of 'people's hero' he needs to have been more than a thug and a thief. The political background of his actions (as described in the Jerilderie letter and elsewhere) together with his general 'gallant' conduct concerning civilians (as you'd pick up from a more detailed biography of him) do suggest he was a very complex, gentlemanly and politically-motivated person though which makes me disagree with your apparent assessment of him as little more than a violent criminal.
By Thunderhawk
The political background of his actions (as described in the Jerilderie letter and elsewhere) together with his general 'gallant' conduct concerning civilians (as you'd pick up from a more detailed biography of him) do suggest he was a very complex, gentlemanly and politically-motivated person

It sounds like there is more to his life and actions that wikipedia does not elaberate (have) info on, so I say he could be a folk hero.

But the evidence at hand just makes him out to be a criminal.
Justified, gallant, politically minded and probably one of the few people who really can be called victims of society. But I dont see how that makes him a folk hero.

(Again, it sounds like there is more, but at hand it isnt enough, IMHO)
Waiting for Starmer

All Tories are fuck-ups, whether they’re Blue or […]

Whistleblowers allege widespread abuses at Israel[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 23, Thursday Fascists detained under defens[…]

@QatzelOk All Zionists are Jews, but not all […]