The Black Death - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

End of Roman society, feudalism, rise of religious power, beginnings of the nation-state, renaissance (476 - 1492 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By C-Kokos
That's a subject I just gained an interest in a couple of days ago.

The Black Death was the Great Plague of the Middle Ages, which struck europe in the 14th century, depriving the continent of 1/3 of its population.

It came back in the 17th century, this time being simply called "The Great Plague" and had a much lower proportional death toll.

Anyone else interested in this? Do you have any reading to suggest?
By Einherjar
Yeah it's interesting, especially when seeing its repercusions.

For example its effects in socio-economic and religious life are striking.
Religion and the church lost many power thanks to the black death mainly because:
There was a great lack of clergy since monasteries were mostly affected because of their closed environment.
Many people lost their belief in god when seeing the hopelessness of the situation.
Hence many historians conclude that the black death was one of the factors of the renaissance.
Also it could be said that since western european peasants became materially better after the plague, this resulted in many rebellions (in england, italy, etc..).
Meanwhile since eastern europe was little affected, the peasants remained in their current, oppressed situation for many years to come, lagging behind western europe.
By Lokakyy
Many people lost their belief in god when seeing the hopelessness of the situation.
Hence many historians conclude that the black death was one of the factors of the renaissance.

Well, many didn't as such movements as flagellantism peaked during that time. Though of course how the church reacted towards these movements drove people away from the church and thus strenthened the secular society.
Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I think the smaller parties will do[…]

https://i.ibb.co/VDfthZC/IMG-0141&#[…]

I don't care who I have to fight. White people wh[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]