Statue of Augustus found in Denizli - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Rome, Greece, Egypt & other ancient history (c 4000 BCE - 476 CE) and pre-history.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I couldn't find an English version of this so I translated the important bits:

Denizli - The head from a statue of the man who ended the Roman Republic and became the first Emperor, Augustus Caeasar, was unearthed during during an excavation at the ancient town of Laodikya, near Eskihisar. The leader of the excavation, Prof. Celal Simsek, said that the head, which belongs to a statue of Augustus, the greatest and most powerful Roman Emperor, is so far the best preserved and most valuable one of its kind... The 250 workers operating at the site have begun to look for the statue's body at 6 different locations... The head was found while excavating a "toilet structure" [I have no idea how to sugercoat "tuvalet yapisi". lol They found the head in a toilet]...

The rest of the text is basically the same - about how awesome the craftsmanship that went into the statue was and how the statue is really valuable.

Link
By Potemkin
Augustus, the greatest and most powerful Roman Emperor

Actually, he may have been the greatest Roman Emperor, but he was not the most powerful. He referred to himself as 'Princeps', meaning 'first citizen'. He was a constitutional monarch (though he wouldn't have used that title) rather than an autocrat. Diocletian, for example, had far more autocratic power than Augustus.

The head was found while excavating a "toilet structure" [I have no idea how to sugercoat "tuvalet yapisi". lol They found the head in a toilet]...

Augustus would have had the people responsible for this executed in the Colosseum. To show such disrespect to the Divine Augustus is blasphemy! >:
By Doomhammer
Actually

You should complain to the editors of Radikal for their nonsense.

Augustus would have had the people responsible for this executed in the Colosseum. To show such disrespect to the Divine Augustus is blasphemy!

His friggen head was found in a toilet/bathroom! Feed those responsible to the lions
By Potemkin
You should complain to the editors of Radikal for their nonsense.

This is actually more serious than that. This is sufficient grounds for refusing Turkey admittance to the European Union.

His friggen head was found in a toilet/bathroom! Feed those responsible to the lions

They should first be skinned alive and rolled in salt, then thrown to the lions. Nothing less will do. >:
By starman2003
The Colosseum wasn't built until the time of Titus, so Augustus would've needed some other venue for killing blasphemers.
By Doomhammer
lol I forgot that. Damn. I'm really losing it.

Is there such a thing as premature senility?
By Potemkin
The Colosseum wasn't built until the time of Titus, so Augustus would've needed some other venue for killing blasphemers.

It was only completed during the reign of Titus, but construction was begun almost immediately after Nero's demise. It was built on the foundations of Nero's 'Golden House', and became known as the 'Colosseum' because of the giant 60 gazillion metres high gold-plated statue of Nero which had stood on the site. I was using artistic licence when I said Augustus would have thrown people to the lions in the Colosseum. Geez, you people! :roll:

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]