The roots of Hitler's ideology - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Inter-war period (1919-1938), Russian civil war (1917–1921) and other non World War topics (1914-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I wrote this essay for History class, and because it's longer than my average History homework essays, and is quite interesting, I thought that I might share it with my fellow Pofoers. You can ignore some of the repetition, such as the repeated linking to the question, as it is just an exam technique...

To what extent were Hitler's ideas 'rooted in the past', yet very suited to Germany in the early 1930's?

Many of Hitler's ideas that made up the ideology of Nazism were unoriginal and rooted in Germany's past; all Hitler did was put them together as one ideology. However, those ideas suited Germany in the early 1930's, when it was weak and war-devastated.

First of all, Hitler's idea of a Volksgemeinschaft (people's community) was to bring the 'pure' German people together, under a strong national unity government controlled by one, unquestionable Fűhrer (Fűhrerprinzip). This was based on the fact that Germany had never had a democracy before the Weimar Republic, and that all the Weimar governments were made up of coalitions and were very indecisive. The coalition governments made the principle of democracy seem very weak and unattractive, and therefore a strong, united government looked like a great alternative.

The concept of Volksgemeinschaft was based on the belief that the world was a racial, rather than a class, struggle. This idea wasn't started with Hitler, as many people before him believed that the world was about the survival of the fittest. For example, in 'Foundations of the Nineteenth Century', written in 1900, Houston Stewart Chamberlain talked about the struggle of the Germanic race and social Darwinism. Many other social Darwinists and eugenicists, such as Alfred Ploetz and Lanz von Liebenfels, also argued that the Germanic race should be improved through the manipulation of the population, and that some people were more racially 'valuable' than others. They argued that only through selective-breeding, sterilisation, and even execution, would the Aryan race be able to stay pure and therefore survive. This shows that Hitler didn't come up with the ideas of social Darwinism and racial struggle, but in fact, they were old systems of thought that Hitler was able to manipulate.

At the centre of social Darwinism was the notion of a racial pyramid – Hitler believed that the Aryan race was a pure, and therefore superior race; and placed the Jewish race at the bottom of the racial pyramid, as he viewed the Jews as being inferior, and even sub-human. This form of thought was not at all original, because anti-Semitism existed in Europe in the past. Hitler's views of the Jews came from the streets of Vienna, where he lived, before the First World War, from the trenches on the western front and from post-war Bavaria. This also shows that Hitler only took what already existed and put it together; he did not come up with his own ideas.

Furthermore, communism, which many Europeans feared, was on the rise in Russia. Of course, after the communist-inspired revolution, which took place in Bavaria in 1919, while Hitler was there, many Austrians and Germans, including Hitler himself, were affected. They blamed communism on the Jews and believed that it was a Jewish conspiracy that wished to take over Germany. This increased hatred towards the Jews and was a main factor towards anti-Semitism. It is another piece of evidence that proves that anti-communism and anti-Semitism were rooted in Germany's past, and were not original ideas of Hitler's.

Lebensraum, which literally means 'living space' was also an old idea. Lebensraum was the idea of expanding Germany's land towards the east, forming a Greater Germany, and using the Slavs, who inhabited that area, as slaves. The term 'Lebensraum' was first used by Friedrich Ratzel, a German geographer and ethnographer. Ratzel argued that the Germans would benefit from trade if they expanded using the navy, and would economically benefit from the support of other, weaker nations Germany would take over. However, the idea of expanding Germany's land didn't start with Ratzel; it can be dated back to the medieval times, during the reign of Frederick Barbarossa, the king of Germany and later the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, who wanted to expand his empire using force. Hitler named the invasion of the eastern front of the Soviet Union 'Operation Barbarossa', which is evidence that he adopted his ideas from Frederick Barbarossa.

The concept of 'blood and soil' was also not of Hitler's creation. It was the main idea behind the Volksgemeinschaft, where the good of the nation comes before that of the individual. However, it can be traced back to the late nineteenth century, when novelists such as Friedrich Griese, wrote about 'blood and soil', and the spirit of the German peasant. This is later seen in Hitler's strong support for the peasants, and the belief that they were Germany's future. This is also evidence that Hitler's ideology was based on thoughts that existed before he wrote his book, Mein Kampf.

However, even though most of Hitler's ideas were old and unoriginal, they seemed well-suited to Germany in the early 1930's. Germany, after the First World War, was weak and devastated; it lacked both political and economic power. Therefore, Hitler was able to manipulate the thoughts of many people before him and put them together to form an ideology that gained mass support.

Because Germany was devastated, first by the war, then by the Great Depression, the Germans wanted to blame a group of people on all their problems – the Jews made a good scapegoat. They also liked the idea of taking over land and exploiting it's resources to benefit their own economy, which was a great disaster.

Furthermore, they liked the idea that they were superior, and that only they should benefit from Germany's resources. They wanted a strong, united government under a strong Fűhrer to replace the weak coalition governments that seemed to go nowhere.

In conclusion, a lot of the ideas that made up Nazism were old and rooted in Germany's past; such as Lebensraum, blood and soil, racism, and social Darwinism. They existed way before Hitler came to power. However, because Germany was very weak, and the Weimar governments were unable to do anything about it, the idea of a Volksgemeinschaft and Lebensraum, where Germans lived for the good of the nation, without any groups that were believed to be inferior, such as the Jews, seemed like a very attractive solution.
Last edited by Abood on 16 Oct 2006 14:12, edited 2 times in total.
By green party
very good, I enjoyed reading it
By Foxwood
Interesting essay, I enjoyed reading it too. I like the use of the german expressions too :D
By MB.
Don't blame "the Germans".

As for the essay itself;

Hitler believed that the Aryan race was a pure, and therefore superior race; and placed the Jewish race at the bottom of the racial pyramid, as he viewed the Jews as being inferior, and even sub-human.

Not quite accurate. Hitler believed that some races were more pure then others. However, he was quite clear in Mien Kampf and at the end of the war itself that the point of racial existence was continual struggle. In other words, if the weak triumphed, it was because the 'pure' were not actaully 'pure'. Thus though he put his faith in the Germans, he did not nesccarily believe that they were "the purest" nor that they would triumph over the weak. Rather, he beleived that they had to struggle to overcome the weak or be destroyed in turn. This idea is centrally Nietchian, which I note you didn't mention in your essay.
By Kon
That's an essay?

I suppose it technically is.

But it is pretty short.
By MB.
They existed way before Hitler came to power

Objection.

Way before mang! Like way before!!
By Gletkin
Mr. Bill wrote:This idea is centrally Nietchian, which I note you didn't mention in your essay.

A bastardization of Nietzsche anyway. I don't remember "Zarathustra" explicitly making claims of any race being superior to others. The one race Nietzsche explicitly condemned as inferior was the human race. He thought that ALL of mankind should be "evolved out of" and should make way for the coming of the "ubermensch".
By MB.
Obviously I was refering to the issue of struggle- simply the superior vs inferior complex of Nietzchian thought. So yah, fine, a bastardization thereof. Though I still thing Nietzsche was a pretensious asshole.
By Oblisk
The root is, obviously, an axe.
By Abood
This idea is centrally Nietchian, which I note you didn't mention in your essay.
Didn't learn about it.

That's an essay?

I suppose it technically is.

But it is pretty short.
Well, our teacher said it should be about 4 sides long, and it's exactly that, when handwritten.
By Gletkin
Mr. Bill wrote:Though I still thing Nietzsche was a pretensious asshole.

He strikes me as a self-hating nerd. I can relate to his views only when I'm depressed or in some other bleak mood.
By Vasili Schmidt
Because Germany was devastated, first by the war, then by the Great Depression, the Germans wanted to blame a group of people on all their problems – the Jews made a good scapegoat.

The Jews were a suitable scapegoat because it is a fact that a large proportion of Jews were involved with parsitical finances and commerce which brought about the collapse of capitalism. You would not hear someone blame the Africans or the Chinese for the Great Depression because there would not be any evidence to back it up. However, there was a substantial amount of evidence that could've been used as polemics holding Jews responsible.
By Cid
Like Gletkin said its mostly a bastardization of Nietzsche. Nietzsche mentioned the ubermensch on the indiviual struggle of man, not a struggle of race against another race.

Though I still thing Nietzsche was a pretensious asshole.

Actually that is one of the main critiques of Nietzsche used himself. That the so called Moral Institutions like the Church are in fact pretentious and use morality for mental masturbation. Hence Nietzsche's philosophy on the Immoralist.
Last edited by Cid on 18 Oct 2006 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
By Shade2
Ethnic cleansing plans were more extreme versions of already made plans by Imperial Germany in World War 1. They were reflection of Pan-German movement that sought Lebensraum in the East for German nation. The policy of Lebensraum was pursued in WW1 in Baltics and Poland.
The belief that Poles are inferior to Germans has its roots in racist ideologies of Prussia in XVIII century.

@Tainari88 Whatever he is he's all over the pl[…]

Lol another ridiculous comparison. Hamas literal[…]

VOTE FOR U. !! https://twitter.com/i/status/17[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities a[…]