Teletanks - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Inter-war period (1919-1938), Russian civil war (1917–1921) and other non World War topics (1914-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By The Decay of Meaning
Besides the Wikipedia article, I haven't found any other information regarding the teletanks. Learning about the teletanks, and especially regarding the existence of teletank batallions, suprised me.

Are there any sites out there, that deals with this issue, and perhaps even about modern teletanks or similar robots?

How effective were the teletanks?
By Thunderhawk
I have never heard of this before..

The closest in modern day stuff would be some pretty cool automated (weak AI) and remote IFVs.. if IFV is the proper term for them anyways.

But all of that is relatively new (AI stuff coming from recent DARPA projects).

That the Soviets had teletanks is startaling to me.
Cool, but startaling.
I too would like to know of their effectiveness, but I dont read Russian, so I cant check the Wiki sources. >:

.. makes the Nazi's wire controled operator guided air-to-air missile less impressive, as technological feats go.
By The Decay of Meaning
I have used a translator, that helps the issue of not understanding Russian a lot...

One of those that seems to have been behind this or operated these machines said that on eof the reasons very few people have heard about teletanks is because it was a military secret.
Still find it weird though that about the only articles that exist about this subject in English and Russian are the Wikipedia article and those linked to in the Wikipedia article.
Could it be some sort of elaborate practical joke?
By Nivia
WOW!!!I never knew such tank exist in this worl....even now days.
By Red Star
Igor Shmelov's book 'Tanks In War' mentions teletanks in its introduction to the section for WW2. It mainly talks about the German ones though, which were called 'Goliath' as far as I can remember - operated by wire, and stuffed with explosives. Apparently they weren't too effective.

I am in uni now, but when I get back, I will find the book and quote the passage from it, if it helps.
By N
Could it be some sort of elaborate practical joke?

No it is not a joke it's real but they were ineffective and were lost in the first weeks of the war. I've seen some more photos with them in a book.
By Alfsigr
Teletanks were a nice idea, but they never worked very well. In part thats due to the dely in trasmitting signals, and partly due to their vulnerabilty with reagrd to signal jamming. Modern teletanks exist, but theyre confined to bomb-disposal operations and other non-frontline work.
By Thunderhawk
AI IFV are in the trial stage right now.
I dont know if they are deployed in Iraq or Afganhistan, but they are meant to be front line units.
By ThereBeDragons
Can't be too different from explosive-packed remote-guided V-rocket/planes, can they? Drop it of and make it go.
By Thunderhawk
AI IFV are supposed to function like standard IFV.. except they dont have infantry or a driver, they just roam around as eyes, ears and guns.

They can be operated by a controller in another IFV, but they dont have to be.

They are meant to be used either 2-3 alone, or 1-2 accompanying an 1-2 that has people in it.
By War Angel
There's nothing special about radio-guided vehicles. INTELLIGENT vehicles, capable of operating effectively on their own... now that'd be something. So far, we have good ones that can do patrols along a designated path, and are capable of dealing with threats, obstructions, etc.

Wasn't that the Chinese? The history of firearms[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

There are numerous ways this is being attempted b[…]

Okay, so you’ve finally accepted that the Romans[…]

I met a guy from Nigeria, he explained me in Niger[…]