Americans vanished in Stalin's U.S.S.R. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Inter-war period (1919-1938), Russian civil war (1917–1921) and other non World War topics (1914-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hundreds jailed, killed in purges

By Alan Cullison, For The Associated Press

MOSCOW -- Alexander Gelver was afraid. People around him were getting arrested. He wanted to get out of the country, to go home to America, so he went to the U.S. Embassy for help.

But outside the gates, he was stopped -- by the secret police.

Was it true, his interrogator demanded, that Gelver thought life was better in the United States than the Soviet Union? Had he actually said as much to his fellow workers at a local factory?

All true, said Gelver, who had been brought to Russia years earlier by his parents. An open-and-shut case of espionage, the police declared.

And then they made him disappear. His fate remained unknown for 60 years.

Gelver was just one of hundreds of American leftists who had moved here in the 1920s and 1930s to help Josef Stalin build the new worker's paradise, and who then vanished, one by one, from the face of the earth.

Their friends and relatives have grown old without ever knowing, for certain, what happened to them.

But now, the answer is emerging, documented in moldy secret police files obtained by The Associated Press, revealed in recent interviews with people who survived the Stalinist purges, told in old U.S. State Department documents, some declassified at the AP's request.

On New Year's Day 1938, his file shows, 24-year-old Alexander Gelver of Oshkosh, Wis., was executed. There is reason to believe that hundreds of Americans met a similar fate.

The files of 15 missing Americans whose disappearances were investigated in detail by the AP show that two died in Soviet labor camps and eight others were executed. The other five spent years in Soviet prisons.

They were artists, factory workers, teachers and engineers. They were arrested after engaging in such subversive activities as wearing American clothes, asking the U.S. Embassy for help or talking about life back home.

Some were American-born. Others were Russian-born, naturalized Americans who went back to the Soviet Union and took their American-born children with them. Some were members of the Communist Party; most were not.

Some were deported by the United States because of their subversive politics, but many went willingly. The Soviet government recruited them by the hundreds as advisers to fledgling Russian industries, often paying their passage.

But before long, Stalin's paranoia about anything foreign overcame his need for expertise.

Arthur Talent was only 7 years old when he was brought to Moscow from Boston by his mother, but he had already developed a taste for American music. At age 20 or so, he somehow became acquainted with the wife of Paul Robeson, an American famous for his singing voice and left-wing politics. When the Robesons came to Moscow for a performance, she brought the young man a new suit of American clothes.

On Jan. 28, 1938, agents searched Talent's apartment and seized the clothes, which they insisted were payment for his spying.

The first 11 pages of his interrogation transcript show him denying the accusation. At the end of page 11, the transcript says: "The interrogation has been interrupted."

What happened during the recess is left to the imagination.

When the interrogation resumed, Talent was told: "You are arrested and accused of espionage activities in the USSR in favor of one foreign state. Do you plead guilty?"

His response: "Yes! I plead guilty of being involved in espionage activities for Latvia. After a 38-day denial I decided to tell the inquest the truth."

A crumpled slip of paper, inserted near the end of the file, says Talent was shot June 7, 1938. He was 21 years old.

Internal State Department memos show that the U.S. Embassy in Moscow closely watched the arrests in Moscow and sent reports of the terror to Washington. But officials were unable or unwilling to do much about it, perhaps because American suspicion of communism was already in full bloom.

State Department records show that some Americans who came to the embassy for help in getting back home were turned away because they lacked up-to-date photographs or the few dollars in U.S. currency needed to renew their U.S. passports.

Ivan Dubin, a native-born Russian, became a U.S. citizen after his family moved to Pottsville, Pa. Returning to Russia for a visit, he fell in love there and got married. He was trying to arrange to bring his bride home to America when the purges began. On March 1, 1938, he came to the U.S. Embassy to renew his passport but was turned away because he lacked the required passport photographs.

Dubin promised to return the next day, but never did. His wife called the embassy to say he had never returned home. Dubin's secret police file, discovered in Moscow, shows he was arrested outside the embassy, accused of espionage and shot. He was 26.

George F. Kennan, later the architect of the U.S. policy of "containment" of Soviet Communism, was a Moscow embassy official during the purges. Now 93, he responded to some AP questions in writing. It was difficult for the embassy to help Americans who had obtained Soviet passports, as many of these victims had, Kennan said.

The Soviets regarded such persons as Soviet citizens, maintained that they couldn't leave the country without government permission and did not recognize that the United States had a legitimate interest in them.

The U.S. Embassy tried to resolve the citizenship issue with the Soviet Foreign Ministry. But by mid-1937, so many Soviet Foreign Ministry officials had been shot in the purges that the Americans had no one to negotiate with, says Sergei Zhuravlev, a prominent Russian historian.

Some relatives had clung to hope that somehow their loved ones survived. There was little reason to hope; the survival rate was low.

Memorial, an advocacy group for Russian purge victims, found a list of 10,000 people who were shot at one of the regime's Moscow execution grounds. Among them: four young men from Boston who had shagged flies on a Russian-American baseball team in Moscow.

Marvin Volat, who left his native Buffalo, N.Y., at age 20 to study violin in Moscow, was arrested after leaving the U.S. Embassy on March 11, 1938.

"It is his doubtful claim that he is homesick for his parents, and therefore stopped by the U.S. Embassy to get a visa to go to the U.S.," a secret police major wrote for the file.

Without evidence, Volat was charged with counter-revolutionary activity and espionage. After two months of interrogation, he confessed to taking photographs of military planes taking off and landing at a Moscow airfield. He was sentenced to hard labor.

On the last page of his file, a faint scribble says he died the following February in a camp in the Far East. He was 28.

The fate of missing Americans in Stalin's Russia

The cases of 15 Americans who disappeared in Russia during the Stalinist purges of the 1930s and '40s were investigated in detail by The Associated Press. Some were American born and others were naturalized Americans. A few had renounced their American citizenship at the time of their deaths. Here is what was learned of their fates:

Arthur Abolin, 28, of Boston, was executed in 1938.

Carl Abolin, 25, his brother, also of Boston, was executed the same day.

Alexander Gelver, 24, of Oshkosh, Wis., was executed in 1938.

Ivan Dubin, 26, of Pottsville, Pa., was executed in 1938.

Lovett Fort-Whiteman, 44, founder of the American Communist Party's black affiliate, The American Negro Labor Congress, died in a Soviet gulag in 1939, about two years after his arrest.

Julius Hecker, 57, of New York City, was executed in 1938.

Frank Hrinkevich, age uncertain, a U.S. Army veteran who had lived for a time in New York City, was released after one year in a Soviet prison.

Ruth Ikal, 30, of Philadelphia, the American wife of a Russian spy, was exiled to a closed Soviet city in the south and was pleading, as late as 1958, to be alowed to return to America. Her final fate is unrecorded.

Arnold Preeden, 22, of Boston, was executed in 1938.

Walter Preeden, 24, his brother, also of Boston, was executed the same day.

Joseph Sgovio was arrested in 1938 and spent 11 years in Soviet labor camps. His health broken, he died in Russia shortly after his release.

Thomas Sgovio, Joseph's son, was one of the few Americans known to have survived the notorious prison camps in the Russian Far East. He was imprisoned for 16 years before his release, was allowed to return to the U.S. in 1960 and died in Phoenix last summer at age 81.

Elias Singer, 59, of New York City, was executed in 1937.

Arthur Talent, 21, of Boston, confessed to espionage after a 38-day interrogation and was executed in 1938.

Marvin Volat, 28, of Buffalo, N.Y., died in 1939 after a year at hard labor in a gulag.
By MB.
May 4, 1970: US National Guard shoots 4 unarmed students at Kent State University in Ohio.

The Kent State shootings have had a profound effect on some of the students. Chrissie Hynde, Mark Mothersbaugh and Jerry Casale spoke out on the shootings. Said Casale, "It refocused me entirely. It was the deciding factor that made me live and breathe. In Chrissie Hynde's case, I'm sure it was a very powerful single event that was traumatic enough to form her sensibility and account for a lot of her anger." Mothersbaugh added, "It effected us. It was part of our life."

Casale gave us this account of the shootings:
"I was a student, I was a member of SDS - an antiwar group called Students for a Democratic Society, trying to restore Democracy at a time when LBJ and Nixon were running roughshod over it. There were several antiwar groups. That protest that day where everybody got shot was a protest against the expansion of the Vietnam War into Cambodia. It was a secret expansion, Nixon had done it the night before and we found out about it the next day - the whole nation did.

"They did it without an act of congress, without passing any new law or having any meetings. It was completely unconstitutional, so we're out there at noon, about 3,500 students at Kent State were out there.
The governor, who certainly was a pro-war kind of guy, Governor Rhodes, he had placed the National Guard inside the heating plant of the school the night before anticipating what would happen when the students found out about Cambodia. Not only did he do that, but he waited until about 9 am on May 4th to declare Martial Law, which suspends all first amendment rights of The Constitution, meaning that any assembly is automatically illegal, you're automatically committing a crime.

"These National Guardsmen poured out of the heating plant, surrounded the protesters, and with a bullhorn announced that Martial Law had been declared and that we were all going to jail. Everybody starts chanting and screaming and they start shooting tear gas and some of the more ballsy protesters, while they're coughing and choking and puking are trying to throw it back, but most of the kids were anywhere from 50 to 100 yards away from these lines of National Guardsmen with guns.

"Nobody believed that the guns were actually loaded with live ammo. They just suddenly formed a row. The first one knelt and the second one stood, and they just shot right into the crowd, shot at all of us, down the hill at all of us. The worst thing about it is that 2 of the 4 students killed weren't part of the demonstration, weren't part of an antiwar group.
They'd just come out of class from the journalism building at that time and come out on their way to their next class and were looking at the protest, just seeing what the hell's going on, and they got killed.

"The bullets just went everywhere, it was like a scatter-gun approach, like shooting geese. A lot of the bullets went over the heads of the protesters and kept going straight down the hill. One of the kids that's paralyzed for life was getting into his car to leave campus after his class, and they shot him in the back. He was at least 200 yards away and wanted nothing to do with what was going on. It was shocking. It pretty much knocked any hippie that I had left in me right out of me that day.

"I had been a member of the honors college and the only way I went to school was with a scholarship. My family was poor and I got a scholarship to go to school. What I had to do every year to earn my scholarship was work 3 months in the summer for the university admitting new students to the honors college, the incoming freshman, and helping them arrange their curriculum, taking them through the registration process.

"The summer before May 4th, I had befriended Jeffery Miller and Allison Krause, 2 honor students, and they turn out to be 2 of the 4 killed on May 4th. So I'd known both of them 9 months before this happened, and so when I realized that this girl on her stomach with a huge exit wound in her back with blood running down the sidewalk was Allison, I nearly passed out. I sat down on the grass and kind of swooned around and lied down. I was in shock, I couldn't move."
By Falx
Mr.Mr.Bill, do you think the four murders of student are in anyway comparable to the thousands of killed in the Russian purges?
By MB.
I think the four are comparible to the 15 listed here.

I also think the 200,000 killed in the philipines during the US occupation in the 1890s is comparible to the Stalinist purges.

What do you think?
By Attila The Nun
With that kind of thinking Mr. Bill, why should ther British condemn concentration camps? They had some of their own.
By PittofBritain
With that kind of thinking Mr. Bill, why should ther British condemn concentration camps? They had some of their own.

The concentration camps to which you refer were those erected in the Boer War. However the British concentration camps were signficantly different to those of Hitler's genocidal machine.

They were created with the purpose of housing the women and children of South Africa while fighting was proceeding in the cities. Unfortunately, the British army of that period lacked any knowledge of hygene and so disease was rife. The death toll is estimated to be roughly at 10,000. Although heart breaking, the deaths were not caused by the malice of the British or any desire to wipe out those peoples. Ignorance and lack of care were the main reasons behind the death toll.

It is, therefore, not possible to compare them to the Nazi concentration camps. The aim of the British was not genocide. The death toll was nowhere near as high.
By Falx
They were created with the purpose of housing the women and children of South Africa while fighting was proceeding in the cities. Unfortunately, the British army of that period lacked any knowledge of hygene and so disease was rife. The death toll is estimated to be roughly at 10,000. Although heart breaking, the deaths were not caused by the malice of the British or any desire to wipe out those peoples. Ignorance and lack of care were the main reasons behind the death toll.

Wow, now that explains away the Armenian genocide, and the Indian mass murder. It's not the armies fault it starts a war and places all the people in a crowded camp without any useable food, water and medicare. They do it for the people's own good.

I think the four are comparible to the 15 listed here.

I also think the 200,000 killed in the philipines during the US occupation in the 1890s is comparible to the Stalinist purges.

What do you think?

I didn't say anything about the US not being responcible for the death of millions, but comparing the shooting of four people to the mass disappearance of thousands is borderline lunacy.
By MB.
What Max said.
By C.J. Griffin
May 4, 1970: US National Guard shoots 4 unarmed students at Kent State University in Ohio.

Apples and oranges:

"100 Ohio Guardsmen confronted 1,500 rioting students at Kent State University who pelted them with rocks and bottles. Mistakenly believing that they were coming under gunfire, 30 Guardsmen fired into the crowd, killing 4 and wounding 9.

The Kent State killings were horrifying tragedies, and the anti-war movement portrayed them as deliberate acts of murder. They weren't. But even if you think that those 30 Guardsmen in Ohio had been guilty of a terrible crime, the fact remains that they were only 30 Guardsmen out of 500,000 nationwide." - http://www.frontpagemag.com/articles/Re ... p?ID=12298

“Helen Hill, born in Minnesota in 1917, is also listed. Her parents took her to Karelia in 1932 when she was a teenager. She was working as a dispatcher at a lumber camp when she was arrested. A KGB executioner put a pistol to the back of her head and blew her brains out on April 22, 1938, before she was twenty-three years old. According to the KGB her offense was that she “maintained contacts with relatives in the U.S. Collected information in favor of Finland’s intelligence service. Praised life in capitalist countries. Spoke of her intentions to cross the border creating a spirit of emigration in the workers.” – In Denial: Historians, Communism and Espionage by John Earl Haynes & Harvey Klehr, p. 118
By Falx
He's not. He's comparing the shooting of 4, to the disappearance of 15.

Simple math comes to the rescue then! 15>4 so the USSR still comes on top.
By Maxim Litvinov
Ah. I'm sure no-one noticed that the numbers 15 and 4 are in fact unequal. You have proven that they cannot be therefore compared.

I withdraw.
By Lokakyy
Good old FrontPageMag. Probably the most esteemed historical publication ever and extremely non-partisan, cutting-edge analysis.

"100 Ohio Guardsmen confronted 1,500 rioting students at Kent State University who pelted them with rocks and bottles. Mistakenly believing that they were coming under gunfire, 30 Guardsmen fired into the crowd, killing 4 and wounding 9."

I wonder how they exactly did throw those bottles and rocks if the students who were shot were some 100 m away from the National Guard. Or maybe some other group first threw bottles and rocks at NG who then shot at another group?
By Attila The Nun
The concentration camps to which you refer were those erected in the Boer War. However the British concentration camps were signficantly different to those of Hitler's genocidal machine.

It is, therefore, not possible to compare them to the Nazi concentration camps. The aim of the British was not genocide. The death toll was nowhere near as high.

Indeed, but it's about as good as comparing Kent State to the "disappearance"
By Lokakyy
Missed this:

PittOfBritain wrote:
The death toll is estimated to be roughly at 10,000.

Actually, the estimates are somewhere between 20,000 - 28,000 whites and reported 14,154 black deaths. Considering that the conditions in black camps were worse than in white ones, there must be a large number of unreported black victims.

Source.

Current Jewish population estimates in Mexico com[…]

@Istanbuller You are operating out of extreme[…]

Ukraine stands with Syrian rebels against Moscow- […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Afhanistan and South Korea defeated communists. […]