1995 BBC Documentary: The Death of Yugoslavia (Graphic con.) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

'Cold war' communist versus capitalist ideological struggle (1946 - 1990) and everything else in the post World War II era (1946 onwards).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Firstly, the narrator's objectivity is somewhat debatable. And secondly, some of the translations (subtitles) are incorrect. But generally, I found it very interesting. It's a bit long though, about 5 hours altogether.

The Death of Yugoslavia: A Six Part Series, BBC documentary on events surrounding the break-up of Yugoslavia

The Death of Yugoslavia, Part 1: Enter Nationalism

1/5:

2/5:

3/5:

4/5:

5/5:

The Death of Yugoslavia, Part 2: The Road to War

1/5:

2/5:

3/5:

4/5:

5/5:

The Death of Yugoslavia, Part 3: Wars of Independence

1/5:

2/5:

3/5:

4/5:

5/5:

The Death of Yugoslavia, Part 4: The Gates of Hell

1/5:

2/5:

3/5:

4/5:

5/5:

The Death of Yugoslavia, Part 5: A Safe Area

1/5:

2/5:

3/5:

4/5:

5/5:

The Death of Yugoslavia, Part 6: Pax Americana

1/5:

2/5:

3/5:

4/5:

5/5:
By Bosnjak
@Mazhi nice clips how the Serbs wanted exactly started to transform Yugoslawia in Great-Serbia, and always their gathering, drinking and singing (either Serbia, or Kill Kill)

As soon as they gathered on the Kosovo with 2 Million people my family started to collect weapons... which was not so stupid.
By Political Interest
I have very limited knowledge on this subject, however would my analysis be correct in saying that Milosevic used Serb nationalism as a power base? You could see his initial bewilderment but then how he rode it to ascension in Yugoslavia.
By Cartertonian
I got the book. :) Referenced it in my MSc a coupla times ;)

Snag is, I rapidly lose track of who the Hell is who when everybody's name seems to end in '-itch'.

:lol:
By LAz
Mazhi nice clips how the Serbs wanted exactly started to transform Yugoslawia in Great-Serbia, and always their gathering, drinking and singing (either Serbia, or Kill Kill)

No, perhaps we should have been content to have one sixth of the vote when in fact we were 40% of the population. The problem is that Tito repressed the serbs far more than any other people.

The Death of Yugoslavia, Part 1: Enter Nationalism

Bullshit.

1) Shows serbian nationalism at the front, and does not talk about the nationalism of the croats and bosniaks, which was just as bad.

2) There is the talk that there was peace seven years after tito's death. That's total bullshit. Kosovo exploded in 1981, and troops from as far as slovenia had to go there.

3) Tito embraced ethnic nationalism as much as he suppressed it. He decentralized this country. That fucked things up. He embraced albanian nationalism insanely. He himself said in 1980 that Kosovo is the biggest problem facing the country.

4) Persecution of serbs in kosovo is downgraded. Albanians in kosovo did not even have to learn serbo-croatian! There was widespread corruption there. It was misery and persecution against serbs.

5) There is no mention of the economic crisis affecting yugoslavia at that time.

6) There is no mention of the huge economic disparities between the countries. Wealth was very unevenly distributed. Is it coincidence that slovenia wanted out - no, they did not want to share the wealth, that they got because Tito favored them. Slovenia's avergae wage was well over double of what the national average wage was. This is what we were up against, and thanks to Tito's decentralization there was no hope for anything.

7) Everything starts with the unequal distribution of wealth. Thank you Tito for sowing the seeds for destruction. Democracy is the only option, and the slovenians did not want that, nobody does who is over-funded.
By LAz
The Death of Yugoslavia, Part 2: The Road to War

1) croatia's war was not about independence, it was a civil war where the neonazis wanted to continue their ww2 genocide against the serbs.

2) They do not speak about tudjman's nazi remarks. He said "thank god my wifei s not a serb or a jew". He openly denied the holocaust of jews in ww2. They talk about tudjman taking the neonazi symbol of the ww2 nazi croatia regime. But they understate this. He glorified this and many other things. They just scratched the surface.

The rest there seems okay... shows how dysfunctional the government was thanks to decentralization.
World War II Day by Day

May 18, Saturday How Germany’s crack Panzer divi[…]

https://external-content.duckduckgo.[…]

How do you stop social media, @QatzelOk ? How d[…]

...Did the protesters ask for permission?... At[…]