What if Hitler killed mostly non-whites instead? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The Second World War (1939-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
If most of Hitler's victims were non-white as opposed to being European or Jewish, how would the West have reacted? Would they have condemned him for being a racist, genocidal monster or would they have ignored his atrocities? I'm curious as to what you think the West would have done.
Last edited by Quantum on 18 Dec 2012 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
There where not really a lot of non-white minorities in Germany to kill at the time I think. Gypsies where removed and the where considered non-white I believe. In any case I would think that arabs, blacks, asians etc where not considered to be ideological or political enemies.
If most of Hitler's victims were non-white as opposed to being European or Jewish, how would the West have reacted? Would they have condemned him for being a racist, genocidal monster or would they ignore his atrocities?

This, after all Britain was putting blacks in the empire into camps right up until the 50s and no one raised an eyebrow, the only reason Hitler is seen as a monster is that he bought colonialism to Europe.
Travesty wrote:Decky is right. Belgium alone managed to kill off 13 million people in the Congo in a period of 25 years and nobody raised any eyebrows.

I wouldn't go quite that far. The Casement Report and E. D. Morel's Congo Reform Association were a pretty big stir at the time. Not to mention that I'm pretty certain that Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness was set in the Congo Free State, which is a novel still studied to this day.
Quantum wrote:If most of Hitler's victims were non-white as opposed to being European or Jewish, how would the West have reacted? Would they have condemned him for being a racist, genocidal monster or would they have ignored his atrocities? I'm curious as to what you think the West would have done.

We don't have to go far for the hypothetical, just look at history. For every Jewish person murdered, a non-Jewish civilian was killed in the camps and an additional non-Jewish civilian in the field. And yet when Hitler is condemned, it is largely if not solely based on the holocaust he perpetrated on the Jewish people. The other victims of his regime are largely omitted in discussion, why would non-whites fair any better?
Decky wrote:This, after all Britain was putting blacks in the empire into camps right up until the 50s and no one raised an eyebrow, the only reason Hitler is seen as a monster is that he bought colonialism to Europe.

Nobody cared about the concentration camps in Namibia and the experimentation and genocide of the Herero and Namaqua because they were black, and is one reason why Hitler is far more vilified than Wilhelm II. Another reason is, as you mentioned, the Allied nations committing the same atrocities on their subjects but because they're the winning side and the losers were non-whites, nobody cares.

Are you arguing that it is incorrect to say that […]

Nobody is justified when using genocidal rhetoric.[…]

The discussion is about the current violence. I[…]

You couldn't make this up

Reminds me of the Hague Invasion Act and the point[…]