If America was the protector of the free world ... - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The Second World War (1939-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Truth-a-naut
Hitler was not elected to his position (and constitutionally couldn't have been), and the Nazis never achieved a majority in fair elections.

He may not have been 'really' elected, but his policies (and even opinions) were supported by a surprisingly large amount of Germans. Dictatorship by consensus.
By Smilin' Dave
Dictatorship by consensus isn't democracy, which is the point of this discussion. Further that surprising amount of Germans still didn't secure Hitler the votes he needed to win it alone, suggesting that either he still wasn't that popular, or his supporters were willing to vote for someone else (say one of the more traditional rightist parties) given the option. IIRC Kershaw and other authors emphasise the way that Nazi policies coincided with the motivations of many disparate groups, who would then provide support in order to get what they want, even if they were not Nazis (the military being the classic case study).
By DanDaMan
Because the Liberals of the time protested and said it was not our war.
FDR, a liberal, was the one trying to get the US into the war in Europe. It was Republicans/conservatives who favoured isolation at seemingly any cost.
I'm just calling them with the terms of today.
Because todays modern Liberal is anti-war.
By Smilin' Dave
I'm just calling them with the terms of today.
Because todays modern Liberal is anti-war.

Makes about as much sense as referring to Jesus as a Communist, and blaming his Communism for everything that went wrong. I think you will find that the anti-war segments of the US population in the 1930s and 40s were nothing like the "liberals" of today, so the comparison isn't even accurate.
By RatedKing
... why didn't they intervene to save the free world until their fleet got bombed?

oh c´mon that is just patriotic talk, dont get me wrong I love patriotism, I think it is our duty as a citizens to be patriotic but honestely we didn´t want to enter the WWII because we knew that the germans were the biggest threat ever to be faced and if we beat them it was going to be a real pain, nobody said it but we knew we couldn´t stay indifferent to the war that was going on the other side of the Atlantic we were just avoiding it!
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Conflict is not inevitable when a diaspora returns[…]

I am not going to debate someone else’s perception[…]

- "USA was never a white country!" Th[…]

No one wins. Of course the best die in wars. A[…]