If America was the protector of the free world ... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The Second World War (1939-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Smilin' Dave
Failure of chronology here. The US was not fully considered by anyone, least of the all its citizens, as a 'protector of the free world' till after WWII and the end of isolationism. The closest you get is perception is in particular strains of American exceptionalism, which for example portrayed America as a light to inspire 'old corrupt Europe'.

I would also point out to you the precursors of Lend-Lease and US sanctions against Japan's expansionism as signs that the US was not just sitting on its hands in the lead up to WWII.
By Truth-a-naut
... why didn't they intervene to save the free world until their fleet got bombed?

There was the lend-lease (prior to '41) as well as that front corporation (forget the name) the US set up in the late 30's to help the Chinese fight Japan.

Seriously man, you could have done some research prior to posting this.
By Truth-a-naut
Go away, I am not going to debate your attempts at derailing.

Or are you going to add anything besides emoticons?
By Syd
Go away, I am not going to debate your attempts at derailing.

What the fuck? :eh:

When did China become a part of the "free world"?

Is this a serious question?
By Serinous
When did China become a part of the "free world"?

When the US fleet got bombed, mainland China was under ROC regime, not CCP. To be exact, it was under Chiang Kai Shek, who was a friend of FDR. Only reason why US would help China at that time was because the Japanese invaded China. If US sided with Japan, it would be ironic wouldn't it?
By Celtic Communism
Is this a serious question?

Yes it indeed is. Chiang only kept control of China through the arms of the military and alliances with warlords and Mao's communists at different times, he certainly was not a liberal democract ever, and China has never been a liberal democracy - what Americans usually include as part of the "free world".
By Nattering Nabob
Failure of chronology here. The US was not fully considered by anyone, least of the all its citizens, as a 'protector of the free world' till after WWII and the end of isolationism.

This is correct...that whole "protector of the free world" thing pretty much referred to protection from post WW2 Soviet Union...
By pugsville
I think it's protector of the "Free ( as in trade, american profits that is) world". The US had a lot of trade interests in china and the worsening of US-japan relations that wound up with pearl harbour had a lot to do we Japan actually or (threatening) US commerical interests in China. US responded with trade sanctions which made Japan look elsewhere (Netherlands East Indies etc)

The US has never had a real problem supporting tyrants, and questionable regiemes as long as the US's finiancial interests were looked after. Many nations throughout history have put out justifications of "protection" for imperialist/hegemonistic actions. (The Japanse were protecting their fellow asians from the evil western imperialists.)
By Oxymoron
... why didn't they intervene to save the free world until their fleet got bombed?

the nazis were elected, the Queen not so much.
By Smilin' Dave
Honestly,
the nazis were elected

Hitler was not elected to his position (and constitutionally couldn't have been), and the Nazis never achieved a majority in fair elections. The Nazis also didn't remain democratic once in power.

the Queen not so much.

A constitutional monarch who acts largely on the advice of parliament. Sounds better than Nazism to me. Irish-American objections to supporting the British had little to do with comparative government and a lot to do with past conflicts.
By DanDaMan
why didn't they intervene to save the free world until their fleet got bombed?
Because the Liberals of the time protested and said it was not our war.

I bet, that had the Liberals known Hitler was baking Jews, they would have still kept us out of the war.
By Smilin' Dave
I take it back Oxy, by comparison the above post makes yours look reasonable.
Because the Liberals of the time protested and said it was not our war.

FDR, a liberal, was the one trying to get the US into the war in Europe. It was Republicans/conservatives who favoured isolation at seemingly any cost. Also going back further, it was the leftists who favoured intervention in the Spanish Civil War.

The study of history is not a time machine that allows us to go back for material to fight inane political battles in the present.
By Lightman
Obvious trolls are obvious, Dan. I know your game. At least, I pray that that is what we are dealing with.
By Oxymoron
Smilin Dave I was just making a point that our involvement in the war had nothing to to with democratc ideals, they had to do with national interests.

Every conflict the West finds itself in, or which[…]

Yes , actually they sort of did . Not simply for […]

Source The chief prosecutor of the internation[…]

@FiveofSwords If your jolly Jack Tars were th[…]