Victory Day Parades - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Typhoon
Its that time of year again, with this years parades working up towards being the largest and most complete displays to date, nice touch of having allied forces involves in the event.

Spoilers;
[youtube]p2VdsrJRwcs[/youtube]
Practicing for the vehicle display.

[youtube]1B_HiOrId98[/youtube]
Preparing the vehicles for display.

[youtube]ex4ZL077U8E[/youtube]
Preview of the Pantsyr system which will get its first public display at the parade.

[youtube]RlhVxQWWwMo[/youtube]
Welsh guardspracticing for the event.
By Thunderhawk
I wish we had those here in the States.

You want the Soviets to have not just won the cold war, but to have occupied the USA?

Thats pretty treasonous.. :eek:
By Igor Antunov

USA is represented in these parades, and your troops will march alongside the british, french, polish, russian, etc.

I saw the parade, everybody was marching but the Americans just casually strolled past, they weren't really marching. :lol: Are you guys taught to march? Marching is cool.

The british werent really marching properly either, every soldier was doing his own thing.
By Wolfman
I saw the parade, everybody was marching but the Americans just casually strolled past, they weren't really marching.

We gave basically two kinds of marching. There's the really anal marching that looks cool (I guess), and then there's what was probably done at the V Day parades. Those are done at all parades because marching is alot more demanding then most people realize. We spend less time marching and more time shooting. That's why we win wars.

Are you guys taught to march?

Yes, not that you would know.

Marching is cool.

It's actually extremely boring.
By Igor Antunov
We spend less time marching and more time shooting. That's why we win wars.

Incorrect. You win many battles (losing many wars) because you spend $700 billion/year on them, winning them from the air, your troops just mop up or call in air support when the going gets tough, against an opponent that never has an airforce that can actually take off, or is equipped with vintage ww2 anti-air artillery.
By ThereBeDragons
Igor Antunov wrote:against an opponent that never has an airforce that can actually take off, or is equipped with vintage ww2 anti-air artillery.

Ancient MiGs, though shitty, are quite airworthy, and much of the equipment actually dates from the early Cold War rather than WWII.

Other than that, you are right.

Wolfman wrote:We spend less time marching and more time shooting. That's why we win wars.

Indeed, civilians all across Europe laughed at passing Americans in WWII because of their stunning inability to march in an orderly fashion.
By Igor Antunov
Anyway, I must have watched the practice sessions during a news bulletin on tv, because the actual parade hasn't been held yet.
By Typhoon
There have been so many practice sessions this time, almost spoils the moment...but here we are thanks to RT the actual parade of 2010 (not sure as to the quality of the commentary, im watching it as I post).

Part One
[youtube]bxPAdmlZCHI[/youtube]

Part two to follow.
By Cartertonian
Part-time Jarhead wrote:We spend less time marching and more time shooting.

That's where you guys go wrong...you're supposed to impress the shit out of the enemy with your formation drill - and then fire only single-round, aimed shots on a one round - one kill basis. :D
By Cartertonian
My Colour Sergeant at Sandhurst was a Welsh Guard...he's now a major, I believe. I looked for him, but at the risk of saying something that might be misconstrued, these Guardsmen all look the same to me. :D
By Wolfman
Incorrect. You win many battles (losing many wars) because you spend $700 billion/year on them, winning them from the air, your troops just mop up or call in air support when the going gets tough, against an opponent that never has an airforce that can actually take off, or is equipped with vintage ww2 anti-air artillery.

Yes I get it Igor: military bad, ooOOOoo!!!
By NYYS

The liberal shitstorm that would ensue would be incredible. As the world's greatest power we are not allowed to show it, otherwise we're warmongering militarists.

Hell, liberals bitch about flybys before ballgames :lol: Imagine if we had Abrams rolling through NYC...
By Wolfman
Such marches are completely pointless. Russians are idiots for doing it.
By NYYS
yeah I actually don't really see any purpose in having them, other than to piss off liberals (which, fun as it may be, is rarely a good reason to waste money)
By Igor Antunov
'Military parade held in capital:'

- 500 supplies
+ 10 threat to neighbours

+ 3 stability
+ 10 prestige
+ 5 national unity
+ 5 military tradition

I think it's money well spent.

Such marches are completely pointless.

Even if you discount and ignore the above, such marches are entertainment. What's the point of national sports then? Waste of money, time, resources....but you do it for the entertainment.
By Wolfman
Even if you discount and ignore the above, such marches are entertainment.

The above is arbitrary values you randomly decided to assign.

What's the point of national sports then?

Charge admittance and make money. Unlike with a military parade, it's all cost.
By Igor Antunov
Unlike with a military parade, it's all cost.

Nope, as I alluded to, this is a russian cultural tradition, it keeps up army tradition and national unity and this is priceless. Once lost it can never be regained in it's original form (see the pussification of germany for reference, the prussian military tradition passed down the centuries was the greatest on earth, until germany was forced to abandon it and it's not even attempting to bring it back because it's a pussified, occupied shell of a country).

To a non-russian it's meaningless, maybe even threatening, but you're not the target audience. It forms part of russian identity and tradition. And to tell the russians 'lol i dismiss your stupid culture, it's meaningless' could be construed as insulting.

But ultimately yuou overlook the most significant purpose of this parade, it is a rememberance for the millions of men, women and children that died in a brutal war of annihilation. It's a memorial to those who participated in a sad and horrific event, and it's a lavish one, because they damn well deserve to be remembered, every year, for the next 1000 years.
By Wolfman
Nope, as I alluded to, this is a russian cultural tradition, it keeps up army tradition and national unity and this is priceless.

Well, you aren't in a country with a useless tradition of displaying it's military every year.

But ultimately yuou overlook the most significant purpose of this parade, it is a rememberance for the millions of men, women and children that died in a brutal war of annihilation.

We build monuments.

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]