Tell me about metal storm... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By MB.
It's stupid and a waste of ammunition?
By Typhoon
Whats innovative about metal storm is the use of an electric trigger and having all your ammunition contained within the replacable barrel. Its evolved over time from a pre-positioned box firing a load of munitions in one direction to a vehicle mounted weapons system. Considering that a small number of readily avaliable guided weapons or one cluster bomb could do the same thing at a more reasonable price you can see why the original idea didnt catch on.
Saw a video of them trialing it as a active protection system for vehicles and I think its where they would have the best chance rather than trying to replace somthing thats known to work well. Their firestorm mount carries 16 rounds which is very competitive against the two canister rounds avaliable for APS launchers like Iron Fist and would be more applicable for other uses without having to reload the launcher.
By Fitzy
But what about the small firearms? Individual bullets can be fired one at a time, or automatically (and as fast or slow as desired). And there is only one moving part.
By Typhoon
But to reload you would have to replace the entire barrel, conventional magazines are far more space efficient and cost effective in that regard. Plus small-arms dont need that kind of control, the single, burst and automatic modes of todays conventional firearms are choice enough. Although metal storm offers fewer moving parts im willing to reacon that the actial cost of using the system are not significantly better or perhaps even worse than the conventional ammunition and firearm solutions avaliable today.

Technically I think metal storm is great but I just dont see the need or desire for the concept at this time.
By Fitzy
I have to correct you on one thing. On the website they say that reloading is as easy as reloading any other weapon.

I think you might be right about the cost though, I cant think of a better reason for the technology not being adopted.
By MB.
On the website they say that reloading is as easy as reloading any other weapon.

Lies. Without a meaningful comparison between the 'ease' of reloading other weapon systems with comparable rates of fire the suggestion that it is 'easy' to reload the metal storm system is meaningless.
By Fitzy
Well I imagine that instead of loading the magazine into the grip, you would load it into the barrel. I dont see any reason why it would necessarily be more difficult.

You made a post laying out facts without telling […]

Right wingers and capitalists and free marketeers[…]

@FiveofSwords You appear to be amused that the[…]

Indeed, and you know what? Even that isn't a reas[…]