F-22 rises from the Pentagon trashbin; not so dead after all - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Zerogouki
If we're going to kep bying these things we should at least offset te ost by selling te rap tat tey're replaing.

fuking keyboard...
By Piano Red
Well even though the thread has been necro-ed to death. I just thought i'd mention that the OP is still accurate.

The Pentagon and Lockheed Martin have agreed to keep the F-22 production tooling in an inactive mothball state (once the last approved airframe is completed) for the next decade or so.

Primarily in case another administration decides to begin production again. It would appear that the long-awaited unveiling of the PAK-FA managed to convince Gates and the USAF Staff to have it all as a contingency.
By Typhoon
The F-22 doesnt want to die and neither does this thread so it seems 8)

One thing that sprang to mind with the mothballing news was if the F-22 was unaffordable today whats going to make it affordable five years down the line? Theres a RAND report associated with the news that states that the F-22's unit cost would potentially skyrocket to over $200 million per unit. In a world where it is unlikely the wars the F-22 was designed for are likely to occur in the next 10 years, despite the appearance of the PAK-FA, then to be honest I dont really see any politician being able to cope with those kind of figures.

I still think the US needs to move past the F-22 and clear the drawing board in terms of aircraft design and how these programs are operated, perhaps not as extreme as the designs advocated by Pierre Sprey but if future combat aircraft are to be effective and affordable then the US (and all those relient on the US) need a new plane, not to mention a hedge against the floundering F-35.
By Zerogouki
Meanwhile, NASA still makes up about a tenth of a percent of the Federal budget...
By MB.
Darth Vader kicks your ass, no questions asked

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]