Schrödinger's cat - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By U-235
Seeing as threads on contempory quantum physics are the thing to do now days, i thought i would compose a short post on erwin schrodingers famouse hypothetical experiment.

Erwin schrodinger, in 1935, devised a hypothetical experiment, where a cat was contained in a thick lead box (as to prevent any information from leaving) with a geiger counter, vial of poison, hammer, and an atom with a 50/50 chance of decaying. If the atom were to decay gieger counter would detect it and send a hammer slamming down on the vial releasing the poison killing the poor cat. If the atom did not decay the cat would live to see another day.

Schrodinger devised this hypothetical experiment to test if quantum superposition of states applied to macroscopic objects. Quantum superposition is a particle being in two states at the same time. Durring the experiment there are two events in quantum superpostion, occuring at the same time, bot event a and b, but when the cruel scientist opens up the box to see the result, the wave funtion collapses into one possibility its either dead or alive.

I belive they attempted this experiment, and no cats were harmed
http://physicsweb.org/article/news/4/7/2
By smashthestate
I recommend a book for any of you interested in quantum theory...

In Search OF Schrodinger's Cat
by John Gribbin

It goes over a wide spectrum of the theory and will give you a general understanding of what it suggests.
By U-235
Yes, I too have read that, pretty good book.
By Ásatrúar
Stargate Episode: #16, first season, titled: "Enigma"
By U-235
I am not farmiliar with that episode, although I watch it every day after school. Could you elaborate?
By Ásatrúar
First episode featuring the Tolanans. SG-1 gates to a world which is in volcanic eruption. They find the stranded tolanans and bring them to the SGC. Sam bonds with Narim, and she gives him her cat named "Schrödinger." She then explains the irony.
By U-235
oh yeah, i remeber hearing that reference, but not the episode

No it doesn't. This conviction has nothing to do […]

Wow, maybe "all" jobs have gone to illeg[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The arrogance of Volodymyr Zelensky is incredible.[…]

Are you having fun yet Potemkin? :lol: How coul[…]