Our long cool summer - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
"Extreme heat has been a constant in the news this past summer: In July a punishing heat wave in Europe pushed temperatures across parts of the U.K. above 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) for the first time in history. That same month was viciously hot across China, including in Shanghai—home to 26 million people—which tied its highest-ever July reading of 105.6 degrees F (40.9 degrees C). And even before the summer officially began, searing heat settled over the U.S. South in May. Amarillo, Tex., recorded its earliest day with temperatures topping 100 degrees F (37.8 degrees C), and Abilene, Tex., endured 14 straight days of 100 degrees F or higher, doubling its previous streak.

ut temperatures that make big news today may seem ho-hum—even relatively cool—within a couple of decades, as the continued burning of fossil fuels pushes baseline temperatures ever higher. Heat waves are also becoming longer and more frequent. Not every summer will be hotter than the one just before it, of course, but global warming means that the heat records set today will eventually fall down the charts. As U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo said during the July launch of Heat.gov, a government website for heat information, “The reality is, given the scientific predictions, this summer—with its oppressive and widespread heat waves—is likely to be one of the coolest summers of the rest of our lives.”
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... our-lives/

So Maine may wind up with Arizona weather, but for much of the country, you are utterly screwed.
late wrote:"Extreme heat has been a constant in the news this past summer: In July a punishing heat wave in Europe pushed temperatures across parts of the U.K. above 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) for the first time in history. That same month was viciously hot across China, including in Shanghai—home to 26 million people—which tied its highest-ever July reading of 105.6 degrees F (40.9 degrees C). And even before the summer officially began, searing heat settled over the U.S. South in May. Amarillo, Tex., recorded its earliest day with temperatures topping 100 degrees F (37.8 degrees C), and Abilene, Tex., endured 14 straight days of 100 degrees F or higher, doubling its previous streak.

Extreme heat events are not necessarily relevant if seasonal average daytime heat has not increased that much. Global warming does not cause one-off heat events (at least not directly).

Okay, now I'm just talking down to the dumb who aren't good about thinking on their own, but if temperatures get 1 degree warmer, then you can't blame that on a day that is 3 degrees warmer than the previous record. Pretty simple.

Those temperatures are not unusual in Texas.
By Godstud
Record heat waves are becoming far more common, even in Texas. Why ignore reality?
Godstud wrote:Record heat waves are becoming far more common, even in Texas. Why ignore reality?

Why ignore logic, Godstud?

Do those articles intended for the unwashed masses of the population explain how a small increase in temperatures can cause a big increase in temperature?

Or is that just something most people don't think about, because "heat is heat".

Don't insult our intelligence. Stop thinking with your emotions.

Correlation does not imply causation, especially in the absence of a plausible explanation for that alleged causation.
By Godstud
Logic comes from looking at facts. That temperatures are increasing is obvious and even 1 degree a year is worrying, so don't tell me you are "thinking".

Facts. Texas has had record heat waves, lately.

July 2022 was the city's hottest July on record with an average temperature of 88 degrees, according to the National Weather Service's Houston-Galveston office.
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/arti ... g-records/
By Rancid
Austin also had its hottest summer on record. It was fucking brutal, enough to make me start thinking about moving out of here as soon as my kids are college aged.

Climate change shouldn't be a left-right issue. There are plenty of reasons to support action if you are on the right. For example, national defense and slowing illegal immigration.
Puffer Fish wrote:Why ignore logic, Godstud?

Do those articles intended for the unwashed masses of the population explain how a small increase in temperatures can cause a big increase in temperature?

Or is that just something most people don't think about, because "heat is heat".

Don't insult our intelligence. Stop thinking with your emotions.

Correlation does not imply causation, especially in the absence of a plausible explanation for that alleged causation.

PufferFish, you are the one who has lost touch with the current science.

It is exactly like the cold temps in Texas 18 months ago. The jet stream is getting bigger loops in it and sometimes they stop moving east. They just sit there letting the cold air flow down from Alaska.

In the case of summer heat waves. The loop stops moving east and the temp builds over time.

This effect is also what causes flooding rain storms that drop 67 inches of rain in 1 day. This is what caused the huge flood in Pakistan last week.

Scientists say that this bigger loopiness in the jet stream can be seen in the computer simulations as being caused by the reduction in the temp difference between the Arctic and the Tropics.
By late
Rancid wrote:
Austin also had its hottest summer on record. It was fucking brutal, enough to make me start thinking about moving out of here as soon as my kids are college aged.

Climate change shouldn't be a left-right issue. There are plenty of reasons to support action if you are on the right. For example, national defense and slowing illegal immigration.

While Judge Posner was working, he was one of the top 5 judges in the country, and the most quoted.

Which made him the smartest Republican in the country.

He supported the idea of working on climate change over 20 years ago. It's the only sane thing to do...
Godstud wrote:Logic comes from looking at facts. That temperatures are increasing is obvious and even 1 degree a year is worrying, so don't tell me you are "thinking".

People like you cherry-pick those facts and then use emotion to interpret them.

Godstud wrote:Facts. Texas has had record heat waves, lately.

This expresses the mental maturity of a child.
I can tell you didn't listen to anything I said.
How does Global Warming work, Godstud? Explain to us why the greenhouse effect would create isolated heat events, on a few rare days but not others.

Look, if 25 to 50 percent of Summer days had a peak temperature 3 degrees higher, I would say that could be evidence of Global Warming. But if it's only 2 or 3 days out of the year that are 3 degrees hotter, there is no reason to necessarily assume that is caused by Global Warming.

Is that too difficult to understand?
By late
Puffer Fish wrote:
Is that too difficult to understand?

It is for you.

Climate change was found nearly a half century ago, and it has NEVER faced a serious challenge from scientists.

Climatology reached consensus over 20 years ago, and a couple years later the scientific community threw their support.

You are babbling.
Puffer Fish wrote:Extreme heat events are not necessarily relevant if seasonal average daytime heat has not increased that much. Global warming does not cause one-off heat events (at least not directly).

Okay, now I'm just talking down to the dumb who aren't good about thinking on their own, but if temperatures get 1 degree warmer, then you can't blame that on a day that is 3 degrees warmer than the previous record. Pretty simple.

Those temperatures are not unusual in Texas.

If average earth temps are 1 degrees warmer over a 1 year period that doesn't mean they won't be 3 degrees warmer at a specific time in a specific place during that year because of climate change. 1 degree is an average.
By Godstud
Puffer Fish wrote:Is that too difficult to understand?
It is, obviously since you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. :lol: You, quite clearly, can't tell the difference between climate and weather.

Don't project your mental inadequacies.

How Do We Know Climate Change Is Real?
There is unequivocal evidence that Earth is warming at an unprecedented rate. Human activity is the principal cause.
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

No, my ancestors believe in human rights for all […]

I find it bizarre that people like @Unthinking Ma[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Muscovite schizophrenic Ivan Ilyin is quite lit[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 15, Wednesday Britons flock to the local def[…]