Your nations contribution to science? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By glinert
microbiology another thing we really good at. We first nation to discover how to splice bacterial genes and mix them with other bacterial genes in that genetic ring.

We invented so much in chemsitry and in past century we may have been even with America with science.

Note, our first things to do as with most science were military. We took Legionares disease bacteria and gave it symptoms of multiple sclerosis.
By Todd D.
glinert wrote:I think RUssia basically invented modern mathematics.

We invented modern topology and all that modern abstract number and mathematical things. We have while America has focused on biology really done much work in theoretical physics and abstract algebra. We invented Matrice math and we also invented much of modern Calculus.

We are math.

I must disagree. The Muslims during the middle ages are credited with founded (read: conquering and claiming) many of the discoveries of modern math that are now commonplace. Algebra, the Zero, etc, were brought to the western world through Islam.

Again though, this is all building.
By glinert
When I say modern mathematics I mean minute mathematics that on higher level such as engineering mathematics and abstract mathematics.
By Fimbulwinter
Nokia cell phones, advancements in telecommunications and Linux is all I can think of off the top of my head for Finland...
By Wilhelm
Maybe I'm speaking like an ignorant fool, but who the hell takes credit for inventing the zero? It's just a concept of "nothingness". Anyone can do that, it's just a mere coicidence that an Arab decided to write it down first. Although, most pof the ancient inventions and scientific developments were carried out by the Mayans (the wheel, the zero, astronomy, etc).
By Todd D.
Wilhelm, you would think so, but that's not the case. The zero concept dates back to about 628 in India, but prior to that and some limited knowledge in the New World by the Mayans, there really was no number "Zero". It's interesting that it is a very recent concept.
By Boondock Saint
He who used it first must have invented it ...

*bam*

With our invention we can get rid of all of yours! :p :hmm:

*edited because I am a dolt*
By fastspawn
i think the only contribution any singaporean did was probably the soundblaster technology. maybe so small technological innovation also. nothing worth mentioning.
By glinert
Wait if you ethnically chinese like most singaporeans then you can go on for ever about your scientific achievements.
By Demosthenes
Oh yeah... well we invented dirt too!

And I like to get it wet and watch girls wrestle in it...
By glinert
Russia invented gravity and, we invented oxygen. Yes, that right, you know it true.
By Todd D.
fastspawn wrote:i think the only contribution any singaporean did was probably the soundblaster technology. maybe so small technological innovation also. nothing worth mentioning.

You guys invented the cane too didn't you? Sure let that bastard have it after he grafitid your walls.
By arcis
"Russia invented gravity"

Everybody knows that gravity was invented in England by an apple on the head on .... ? What was the name?
By Non-Sectarian Bastard!
glinert wrote:Igor Ivanovich Sikorsky invented helicopter

He was Polish and gained American Citizenship later on.

Hmm. I do not feel attracted to any nationality. But since I have 3 of them, I am sure that i'll "beat" you all. The Persians invented a lot, the Dutch too and the Russians invented ofcourse Tetris.
By Graphic
jpyy wrote:I might have expressed myself a bit wrong writing "direct" but the concept and idea of the Ak-47 is based on the MP44.
No. The outside appearance is slightly similar. Aside from that, the weapons are C-O-M-P-L-E-T-E-L-Y different.

Better still, the only way they look similar is the both have "banana" clips and wooden stocks. People assume too much.
By Graphic
Wilhelm wrote:They did = The Brits invented computers, the most revolutionary invention in the history of mankind.
I think fire, the bow-and-arrow, the gun, the wheel, irrigation, electricity, language, medicine, architecture, etc., etc. are far more revolutionary.
By Comrade Ogilvy
US scientists have won 271 of all of Nobel Prizes in the sciences.
By fastspawn
Daovonnaex wrote:US scientists have won 271 of all of Nobel Prizes in the sciences.

Nobel prizes are voted by a committee formed by former winners of Nobel prizes. The tendency is that there is an inherent biasness to nominate a student of a former Nobel Laurete than a total unknown. That is why the Nobel prizes are sometimes unfair. But what does winning 271 Nobel Prizes have to do with the Nation's contribution to science? Your most famous inventors or scientists may never have won a single prize at all.
By Comrade Ogilvy
fastspawn wrote:
Daovonnaex wrote:US scientists have won 271 of all of Nobel Prizes in the sciences.

Nobel prizes are voted by a committee formed by former winners of Nobel prizes. The tendency is that there is an inherent biasness to nominate a student of a former Nobel Laurete than a total unknown. That is why the Nobel prizes are sometimes unfair. But what does winning 271 Nobel Prizes have to do with the Nation's contribution to science? Your most famous inventors or scientists may never have won a single prize at all.
Linus Pauling?
By fastspawn
Daovonnaex wrote:
fastspawn wrote:

Linus Pauling?

An exception to prove a case.
Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I am not sure he is coming. FPTP c[…]

https://i.ibb.co/VDfthZC/IMG-0141&#[…]

I don't care who I have to fight. White people wh[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]