The Supreme Court, sanity and kids - Page 8 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Truth To Power wrote:Statistics show unambiguously that deaths from weather-related causes have plummeted over the last century.

An order of magnitude more people die of cold every year than of heat: ~5M vs ~500K. You ignore the 4.5M more who die of cold, and claim that the 1K who died of heat in Portugal are more important than the 4.5M who die of cold because the 4.5M who die of cold are not convenient to your narrative. You do not care about the 10x as many people who die of cold, only the 1/10 as many who die of heat. Simple.

"Extreme heat conditions are considered a major threat for public health and can induce many health complications to the urban populations. With a predicted rise in the frequency and intensity of extremely hot weather due to changing climate, heat exposure is presenting an increasing challenge to the health and safety of heat-vulnerable populations such as elderly adults. Such extremes have resulted in the deaths of 70,000 in Europe in the summer 2003 [1] and 55,000 in Russia during the summer 2010 heat wave [2]. The immense burden placed on the health care systems worldwide as a result of these heat waves has been unequivocal

Since the European heat wave of 2003, extensive work has been done to implement appropriate heat alert systems as well as heat management strategies to protect the vulnerable populations. The implementation of these protective strategies appears to be having a positive impact on population health."

https://clinmedjournals.org/articles/jg ... -4-053.php

Your attempt to change the subject is juvenile.
Truth To Power wrote:Depends what your definition of "is" is. It's high summer in the Northern Hemisphere, so the earth's average surface temperature is now increasing, just as it does every Northern Hemisphere summer. Yet the earth has cooled since 2016. It has warmed since the Little Ice Age, but has cooled since the Holocene Optimum. It has warmed dramatically since the last Ice Age, but has cooled dramatically since the Miocene. It is indisputable that life -- very much including large primates like us -- thrived when the earth was much, much warmer, so all the stupid climate doom-crying is nothing but stupid climate doom-crying.

Provide evidence.

A link and a quote are necessary.
Truth To Power wrote:It's BS.

Statistics show unambiguously that deaths from weather-related causes have plummeted over the last century.

An order of magnitude more people die of cold every year than of heat: ~5M vs ~500K. You ignore the 4.5M more who die of cold, and claim that the 1K who died of heat in Portugal are more important than the 4.5M who die of cold because the 4.5M who die of cold are not convenient to your narrative. You do not care about the 10x as many people who die of cold, only the 1/10 as many who die of heat. Simple.

That is so funny, I'm ROFLMAO.

Climate change has changed the jet stream. Now it is wavier and the waves often stop moving east. This results in heat waves and bitter cold 'snaps'. Like what happened in Texas 1.5 years ago and is happening now in the US & Europe.

So, strangely, it will be possible for ACC, aka AGW, to cause many more deaths from heat waves and some more net deaths from cold snaps. I'm not sure what the total of both has done recently, but as it gets worse and this results in more economic disruption of oil and natural deliveries in winter and more and worse heat waves in summer, the net total of both will increase.

As will the net total from starvation due to crop failures, that are caused by ACC.

"Strangely", TtP will make an unsupported assertion that I'm wrong in my mostly unsupported prediction.

late wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's ONLY counting HEATWAVES, and ONLY in EUROPE, and ONLY in the less than 90 years since the last European heatwaves that killed hundreds of thousands. In an extraordinary display of cherry-picking, you are disingenuously changing the subject to evade the facts about ALL weather-related disasters all over the world.

Your attempt to change the subject is juvenile.
"Extreme heat conditions are considered a major threat for public health and can induce many health complications to the urban populations. With a predicted rise in the frequency and intensity of extremely hot weather due to changing climate, heat exposure is presenting an increasing challenge to the health and safety of heat-vulnerable populations such as elderly adults. Such extremes have resulted in the deaths of 70,000 in Europe in the summer 2003 [1] and 55,000 in Russia during the summer 2010 heat wave [2]. The immense burden placed on the health care systems worldwide as a result of these heat waves has been unequivocal

That is nothing but anti-scientific garbage. The reason more Europeans die in heatwaves now is that the population of extremely old people is so much greater in Europe than it used to be, and extremely old people can't regulate their body temperature as well as younger ones for biological reasons. Yet somehow, 1G people manage to deal with 50C heat as a matter of routine in India, as their ancestors have for millennia.
Since the European heat wave of 2003, extensive work has been done to implement appropriate heat alert systems as well as heat management strategies to protect the vulnerable populations. The implementation of these protective strategies appears to be having a positive impact on population health."

https://clinmedjournals.org/articles/jg ... -4-053.php

More silly nonscience, as proved above: you cite an article in a journal of geriatric medicine and gerontology that does not mention the fact that an aging population is inherently more vulnerable to heatwaves even when the heatwaves themselves are no more severe.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Provide evidence.

The facts I identified are well known to anyone conversant with climate science. I am not going to do your basic reading for you to try to get you up to speed, because I know you just dismiss all facts that prove you wrong.
A link and a quote are necessary.

No they aren't, only a willingness to know widely known and uncontroversial facts is necessary (a willingness that you will never find) and I will thank you to remember it.
Steve_American wrote:Climate change has changed the jet stream.

The sun has, you mean.
Now it is wavier and the waves often stop moving east. This results in heat waves and bitter cold 'snaps'. Like what happened in Texas 1.5 years ago and is happening now in the US & Europe.

So, strangely, it will be possible for ACC, aka AGW, to cause many more deaths from heat waves and some more net deaths from cold snaps.

If you refuse to know the fact that the sun influences climate more than CO2.
I'm not sure what the total of both has done recently, but as it gets worse and this results in more economic disruption of oil and natural deliveries in winter and more and worse heat waves in summer, the net total of both will increase.

I knew it was inevitable: you are now actually blaming use of fossil fuels for the lack of access to fossil fuels that your own anti-fossil-fuel hate propaganda has caused.
As will the net total from starvation due to crop failures, that are caused by ACC.

With astounding but entirely unconscious irony, you are now also preemptively blaming the crop failures caused by your anti-fossil-fuel hate propaganda on fossil fuels.
"Strangely", TtP will make an unsupported assertion that I'm wrong in my mostly unsupported prediction.

You attribute the effects of the sun to fossil fuels. Why not attribute the effects of your own wrong-headed beliefs about fossil fuels to fossil fuels, too?
Truth To Power wrote:
That's ONLY counting HEATWAVES, and ONLY in EUROPE, and ONLY in the less than 90 years since the last European heatwaves that killed hundreds of thousands. In an extraordinary display of cherry-picking, you are disingenuously changing the subject to evade the facts about ALL weather-related disasters all over the world.

That's called an example, the Northern Hemisphere was blanketed in that heat wave. In addition, you implied there were fewer disasters globally, which is wrong.

Actual scientists say things are worse, and will keep getting worse.
Truth To Power wrote:
The facts I identified are well known to anyone conversant with climate science. I am not going to do your basic reading for you to try to get you up to speed

You mean like this guy?

NASA - The Causes of Climate Change

The greenhouse effect is essential to life on Earth, but human-made emissions in the atmosphere are trapping and slowing heat loss to space. Five key greenhouse gases are CO2, nitrous oxide, methane, chlorofluorocarbons, and water vapor. While the Sun has played a role in past climate changes, the evidence shows the current warming cannot be explained by the Sun.

The industrial activities that our modern civilization depends upon have raised atmospheric carbon dioxide levels by nearly 50% since 1750. This increase is due to human activities, because scientists can see a distinctive isotopic fingerprint in the atmosphere.

"Since systematic scientific assessments began in the 1970s, the influence of human activity on the warming of the climate system has evolved from theory to established fact."
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

Evidence Shows That Current Global Warming Cannot Be Explained by Solar Irradiance
Scientists use a metric called Total Solar Irradiance (TSI) to measure the changes in energy the Earth receives from the Sun. TSI incorporates the 11-year solar cycle and solar flares/storms from the Sun's surface.

Studies show that solar variability has played a role in past climate changes. For example, a decrease in solar activity coupled with increased volcanic activity helped trigger the Little Ice Age.

European Commission - Causes of climate change

Burning fossil fuels, cutting down forests and farming livestock are increasingly influencing the climate and the earth’s temperature.

This adds enormous amounts of greenhouse gases to those naturally occurring in the atmosphere, increasing the greenhouse effect and global warming.

2011-2020 was the warmest decade recorded, with global average temperature reaching 1.1°C above pre-industrial levels in 2019. Human-induced global warming is presently increasing at a rate of 0.2°C per decade.

An increase of 2°C compared to the temperature in pre-industrial times is associated with serious negative impacts on to the natural environment and human health and wellbeing, including a much higher risk that dangerous and possibly catastrophic changes in the global environment will occur.

The main driver of climate change is the greenhouse effect. Some gases in the Earth's atmosphere act a bit like the glass in a greenhouse, trapping the sun's heat and stopping it from leaking back into space and causing global warming.

Many of these greenhouse gases occur naturally, but human activities are increasing the concentrations of some of them in the atmosphere, in particular:

carbon dioxide (CO2)
methane
nitrous oxide
fluorinated gases

CO2 produced by human activities is the largest contributor to global warming. By 2020, its concentration in the atmosphere had risen to 48% above its pre-industrial level (before 1750).

I'm certainly not an expert in the field and it is always wise to question sources, their methodology and agendas, but I can quote reputable sources saying the exact opposite of your conclusions all day. They are all wrong and we have nothing to worry about is what you are saying? @Truth To Power
Truth To Power wrote:The facts I identified are well known to anyone conversant with climate science. I am not going to do your basic reading for you to try to get you up to speed, because I know you just dismiss all facts that prove you wrong.

No they aren't, only a willingness to know widely known and uncontroversial facts is necessary (a willingness that you will never find) and I will thank you to remember it.

The argument that the Earth is cooling is dismissed for lack of evidence.

Provide evidence for this claim that the sun influences climate more than CO2.

I predict you will not and this claim will also be dismissed.
Pants-of-dog wrote:

The sun is on a 11-12 year cycle of warming and cooling. Warming here happened when the sun was cooling.

That wasn't simply debunked, it got obliterated.
late wrote:That's called an example, the Northern Hemisphere was blanketed in that heat wave.

It's called cherry picking.
In addition, you implied there were fewer disasters globally, which is wrong.

I implied no such thing.
Actual scientists say things are worse, and will keep getting worse.

No they don't. Actual scientists are aware that globally, death rates from climate-related disasters have plummeted, while death rates from non-climate disasters have remained steadier.
@Truth To Power

Provide evidence for the claim that "death rates from climate-related disasters have plummeted, while death rates from non-climate disasters have remained steadier."
Pants-of-dog wrote:The argument that the Earth is cooling is dismissed for lack of evidence.

I have provided the evidence before, as you know. Here it is again:

https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/climate/2022/ ... 06_Bar.png

There is a clear downward trend since the peak in early 2016. Prediction: you will now dismiss that evidence.

https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads ... 2019-1.pdf

Prediction: you will now dismiss that evidence, too.
I predict you will not and this claim will also be dismissed.

I predict you will again falsely claim that I have not provided evidence, and proceed to dismiss it.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Truth To Power

Provide evidence for the claim that "death rates from climate-related disasters have plummeted, while death rates from non-climate disasters have remained steadier."

https://ourworldindata.org/natural-disa ... l-disaster

Prediction: you will now dismiss that evidence, as you always dismiss all evidence that disproves your false beliefs.
Truth To Power wrote:I have provided the evidence before, as you know. Here it is again:

https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/climate/2022/ ... 06_Bar.png

There is a clear downward trend since the peak in early 2016. Prediction: you will now dismiss that evidence.

So according tp your evidence, the lower troposphere has been heating for quite sone time, and 2016 was the hottest year ever.

Now provide evidence that the Earth (not the lower troposphere) us cooling.

https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads ... 2019-1.pdf

Prediction: you will now dismiss that evidence, too.

From your source:

This understanding is in contrast to the official consensus from
    the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, where it is estimated that the change in
    solar radiative forcing between 1750 and 2011 was around 0.05 W/m2, a value which is en-
    tirely negligible relative to the effect of greenhouse gases, estimated at around 2.3 W/m2.

The study contradicts your claim.

Also your claim was not about the past, but instead is about the present.

I predict you will again falsely claim that I have not provided evidence, and proceed to dismiss it.

No, instead I looked at it and explained how it does not support your claims.

Truth To Power wrote:https://ourworldindata.org/natural-disa ... l-disaster

Prediction: you will now dismiss that evidence, as you always dismiss all evidence that disproves your false beliefs.

Your evidence does not support your claim.

In fact, under heat deaths, it shows an increase.
Pants-of-dog wrote:So according tp your evidence, the lower troposphere has been heating for quite sone time, and 2016 was the hottest year ever.

No, that is just another bald fabrication on your part. The evidence I presented only goes back less than 50 years. You are simply making things up again, as usual.
Now provide evidence that the Earth (not the lower troposphere) us cooling.

If by "the Earth" you mean its surface, then the cooling of the lower troposphere constitutes excellent evidence that the earth's surface is also cooling.

Find a willingness to know that fact. Now.
From your source:
    This understanding is in contrast to the official consensus from
    the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, where it is estimated that the change in
    solar radiative forcing between 1750 and 2011 was around 0.05 W/m2, a value which is en-
    tirely negligible relative to the effect of greenhouse gases, estimated at around 2.3 W/m2.
The study contradicts your claim.

No, you simply "misunderstood" what it says. Don't you know what "in contrast to" means?

Find a willingness to know the fact that "in contrast to" means with an opposite result. Now.
Also your claim was not about the past, but instead is about the present.

In fact, heat deaths are a very minor component of all climate-related deaths, and such data appear not to have been recorded before 2000 despite considerable numbers of such deaths.

See? You again only looked long enough to contrive a way to evade and dismiss the evidence I provided. It's always the same.

I understand that, but my point was that speciati[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]