Rupert Murdoch - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Potemkin
The Sun backed Labour both in the '97 and '05 elections, so its wrong to think of it as being unquestionably 'right'.

I think you misunderstand what was going on in British politics at that time. The Tory government, by doggedly following some pretty disastrous policies in the early 90s (Poll Tax anyone?) had lost almost all its credibility with the public. They were clearly going to lose the 1997 election, big time. The ruling elite needed to prevent a genuinely leftist government from coming to power, which meant that the Tory Party had to be thrown out the window and a replacement found to fill the vacuum. The 'New Labour' Party stepped into the breach in the nick of time, and continued the Tory Party's policies under a new trading name and new management. It is very telling that the first public figure Tony Balir invited into 10 Downing Street for a long chat over tea and cakes after his landslide victory in 1997 was Margaret Thatcher. He was basically telling her, "your legacy is safe with us." This is the context for Murdoch's news media switching their allegiance from the Tories to New Labour. It was not a move to the 'Left' at all, but a continuation of its Rightist stance by other means.
By Muck
I think you misunderstand what was going on in British politics at that time.

I didnt make any assessment as to why they backed Labour, I was just stating that The Sun will not religiously back one party, while other papers, such as The Mail, are far less likely to change allegiance.

Interesting article. How the press sways the voters.
By Potemkin
I didnt make any assessment as to why they backed Labour, I was just stating that The Sun will not religiously back one party, while other papers, such as The Mail, are far less likely to change allegiance.

You implied that they had moved 'left' by switching their allegiance from the Tories to New Labour. My point was that is untrue; they remained just as 'right' as ever.

And the failure of The Mail to switch allegiance is merely evidence of their inflexibility of tactics, which is doubtless one of the reasons The Sun is a far more popular and successful newspaper. Murdoch is a consummate opportunist, which is why he has been so successful.
By Muck
Ok, maybe I should have said;

The Sun backed Labour both in the '97 and '05 elections, so its wrong to think of it as being unquestionably 'Tory'.

I think that the debate about where New Labour lie in the political spectrum is a topic on its own.

And the failure of The Mail to switch allegiance is merely evidence of their inflexibility of tactics, which is doubtless one of the reasons The Sun is a far more popular and successful newspaper. Murdoch is a consummate opportunist, which is why he has been so successful.

Agreed. Personally, I dont like the guy, but you cant deny his success. He gives people what they want.

Oh, while youre here Potemkin, being a Brit, would you consider The Sun to be trash, and, if so, would you say that most of its readers are aware that it is?
By Potemkin
The Sun backed Labour both in the '97 and '05 elections, so its wrong to think of it as being unquestionably 'Tory'.

I would agree with that. :D

Oh, while youre here Potemkin, being a Brit, would you consider The Sun to be trash, and, if so, would you say that most of its readers are aware that it is?

Yes and yes.

Agreed. Personally, I dont like the guy, but you cant deny his success. He gives people what they want.

Which is trash. :D
By QatzelOk
No one person should be able to own such a monopoly on truth production as this one man does.

Media tycoons are killing freedom of speech by upping the cost of exposure of differing opinions.
By Citizen J
I have not watched much television proper for almost 2 years. Today, it frustrates me with all those commercials. Any more, if I want to watch a show or two, I just download them and watch them sans commercials.

The relationship between my news sources and I are also becoming rather strained. I'm getting to the point where I really don't care to watch or read the news anymore. There's just nobody out there that reports current events without bias. I usually have to wait a few months before I can find weighted and reasoned commentary. Everything seems to be about hype and sales.

So how does a nation form, @FiveofSwords ? How […]

That letter was fake. https://www.youtube.com/wa[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

British Intelligence: the horde air defence cann[…]

... The USA is like the Soviet Union overmilitari[…]