Huge row over interview of 'Delhi gang rape' convict by BBC - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Delhi Police has already registered a case.

Times of India wrote:NEW DELHI: The interview of one of the convicts of Nirbhaya's gang rape and murder for a documentary by a British filmmaker snowballed into a huge controversy on Tuesday.

The government has taken a serious view of the matter and sought an explanation from Tihar Jail authorities who allowed the interview. The Delhi Police registered a case under Section 509 (outraging the modesty of women) and Section 504 (intentional insult to provoke breach of trust) of the Indian Penal code.

Delhi Police chief BS Bassi said, "We urge the Indian media not to show it. Police moving chief metropolitan magistrate's court today to seek restrain from airing of the show."

The parents of the December 16, 2012 gang-rape victim reacted angrily to the remarks made by Mukesh Singh in the interview where he seeks to blame their daughter for the horrific incident, calling it shameful and demanded he be hanged. The filmmaker Leslee Udwin on her part said the film is her attempt to examine the attitude of men towards women and that there was nothing sensational in it.

Udwin also claimed she took permission from the then director general of Tihar Jail Vimla Mehra before interviewing Mukesh in the prison for BBC.

Taking the incident of the convict being interviewed in custody very "seriously", home minister Rajnath Singh spoke to Tihar Jail director general Alok Kumar Verma and sought a detailed report on it urgently, official sources said.

During the telephonic conversation, the DG briefed the home minister about the incident and the action taken so far, the sources said.

In the interview, Mukesh, who was awarded death sentence for the brutal rape and murder of the 23-year-old Nirbhaya, said the women who went out at night had only themselves to blame if they attracted the attention of gangs of male molesters.

"A girl is far more responsible for rape than a boy," he had said.

Mukesh also said that had the girl and her friend not tried to fight back, the gang would not have inflicted the savage beating, which led to her death later.

Describing the killing as an "accident", he had said, "When being raped, she shouldn't fight back. She should just be silent and allow the rape. Then they'd have dropped her off after 'doing her', and only hit the boy." 'India's Daughter' tells the story of the Delhi gangrape incident from the perspective of the convicts and victim's parents, Udwin claimed.

The filmmaker asked people not to have pre-conceived notion about the movie, which will premiere in India on March 8 on NDTV.

"The film ends with global statistics around the world, country by country. Rape is not an Indian problem. It's a global problem," she told reporters.

As a controversy arose over permission given to interview Mukesh in Tihar Jail, she said, "I wrote a letter to DG of Tihar. The DG of Tihar had to consult with MHA. The letter basically stated that it was a campaigning film. I had applied permission in May 2013 and I got the answer 'yes' in two weeks. Official permission of MHA also came. Permission from the prison was also signed."

For those who may have forgot, this is the same rape that triggered massive protests in the country and for why I am putting this in "media" section is because I want to discuss, whether journalism is crossing a line here and this interview (part of a documentary to be released on 8th March i.e. International Women's Day) is just crass sensationalism or should it be acceptable?

I myself am not sure but the damning things this man says is surely disturbing and would be more so for the family.

Thoughts?
example - Emancipation of women

Which will not happen overnight and it was quite obvious before this "interview with a rapist" and phoney shock over the terrible things a "rapist" says (What did one expected him to say?)

Anyhow this thread is created more in hope of a discussion about media/journalism.
Have you read the disturbing shit he says, no sane person will give credence to that and we aren't really from different planet

That is why I do not understand why there is such an uproar over it. I figured the people involved would simply be dismissed as idiots.
Which will not happen overnight and it was quite obvious before this "interview with a rapist" and phoney shock over the terrible things a "rapist" says (What did one expected him to say?)

^ This. A rapist is talking like a rapist. STOP THE PRESSES! HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!!!
One Degree wrote:That is why I do not understand why there is such an uproar over it. I figured the people involved would simply be dismissed as idiots.

Uproar is about this sort of shitty sensationalist journalism and not that this interview will give "ideas" to future rapists.
fuser wrote:Which will not happen overnight and it was quite obvious before this "interview with a rapist" and phoney shock over the terrible things a "rapist" says (What did one expected him to say?)

I was hoping for some remorse from that sadist, but that could be wishful thinking, I guess.

Anyway, it's not really uncommon for men to blame their victims for rape, is it?

If Indian men are anything like these guys / police departments in Bangladesh.
[youtube]XY7QOlqirns[/youtube]

I'm of course not saying all men in brown countries are rapists, because that would be retarded, but it seems there is more of the view that a woman is "asking for it" for simple things like going out on their own or out at dark or wearing clothing that isn't a burka.
I was hoping for some remorse from that sadist, but that could be wishful thinking, I guess.

Rapists, like almost all sociopaths, tend to disavow responsibility for their own actions. They transfer responsibility onto the victim in order to exonerate themselves. Why should this guy be any different?
Rapists, like almost all sociopaths, tend to disavow responsibility for their own actions. They transfer responsibility onto the victim in order to exonerate themselves. Why should this guy be any different?

Go check your sources, most rapists are not sociopaths, at least clinically. Rapists rape because they know they'll get away with it and are masters in rationalizing their behaviour. Sociopaths compose such a small part of the population worldwide that it would be impossible to correlate sexual predators with psychopathy/sociopathy

What you're talking about ("exonerate themselves") is called rationalizing behaviours, also known as making up reasons to justify the crime. Lots of criminals do it and see criminal activity as a rational choice or activity.
Go check your sources, most rapists are not sociopaths, at least clinically. Rapists rape because they know they'll get away with it and are masters in rationalizing their behaviour. Sociopaths compose such a small part of the population worldwide that it would be impossible to correlate sexual predators with psychopathy/sociopathy

What you're talking about ("exonerate themselves") is called rationalizing behaviours, also known as making up reasons to justify the crime. Lots of criminals do it and see criminal activity as a rational choice or activity.

Hmm... that's actually a good point. I guess I was allowing my dislike for rapists affect my judgement. I was using the word 'sociopath' as a synonym for 'someone I don't like'.
Sociopath still seems the best description to me. Young men commit crimes because they decide to do something and do so without any thought as to how others will be affected by it. I had a misspent youth, and when I looked back and tried to analyze why I did what I did, that was the answer. I simply gave no thought to what I did. I just did what ever I wanted to. Perhaps sociopathic tendencies would be better.
Sociopath still seems the best description to me. Young men commit crimes because they decide to do something and do so without any thought as to how others will be affected by it. I had a misspent youth, and when I looked back and tried to analyze why I did what I did, that was the answer. I simply gave no thought to what I did. I just did what ever I wanted to. Perhaps sociopathic tendencies would be better.

Pretty much everyone has those, One Degree, especially during adolescence. There's nothing unusual about that.
Pretty much everyone has those, One Degree, especially during adolescence. There's nothing unusual about that.

I realize that does not make me a sociopath. I was just pointing out that 'not thinking about others' and 'not being capable of thinking of others' is a very fine line. Therefore, sociopathic tendencies seems like the best term to describe the behavior.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Victory is achieving your own strategic goals. De[…]

@SpecialOlympian Stupid is as stupid does. If[…]

It is rather trivial to transmit culture. I can j[…]

World War II Day by Day

So long as we have a civilization worth fighting […]