Under-representation of Catholics in media - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By QatzelOk
My parents came here with out a cent my Brother still went to College

I was born to parents who didn't have money for college for me. But I went anyways. But in the end, there wasn't much point in getting the degree since I have no connections.

Being Judeo-Protestant in American media is all about having connections, not about being from "a culture of education," which is one of the most classist and bigoted things I have heard in a while.

There are no "cultures of ignorance," Oxy. But there are systemic constraints on education, and one of the main ones is class and income bias. People who are poor can't afford to spend time in college. And kids whose parents have no connections grow up with no hope of getting a well-paying job even if they bankrupt themselves with loans to complete a degree.

Wealthy anglophones (English-speakers) used to say Quebec francophones had no 'culture of education,' and then the francophones took over Quebec and reformed the structure of education here (to make it more accessible to all classes) and now, we have the highest number of college grads (and university students) in North America.

Catholic Quebec francophones didn't need Judeo-Protestants to teach them what a 'culture of education' was.

And these same Judeo-Protestants were the group who fought against all the changes that made education a more integral part of "our" francophone culture. It would appear that they always preferred it the way it was before: anglos with the money and the 'culture of education,' francophones to do all the manual labor jobs that lead to dissatisfaction.

What would make education more accessible to Catholics in America? And, just as importantly, what role does Judeo-Protestant media play in convincing people of which cultures are of greater value?
Last edited by QatzelOk on 13 Jun 2008 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
By Donna
There are no "cultures of ignorance," Oxy.

Yes, there are.
By Oxymoron
Qatz I totally agree that connections and networking is vital to success in any field. The thing is most of those connections are made in colleges. Again having a tradtion of 500 years and having people in the right spots to move you along is what keeps WASPs in dominant positions even though they are a minority, this is not true for Jews and all other groups. But through the free market and free communication connections are made every day, it takes more effort but look at Bloomberg and Trump and the Google guys, its still possible to move up with out heritage. Now as to the culture of ignorance many people are still plauged by it,and its the root of poverty and lack of socially mobility. Now the situation
By QatzelOk
Oxymoron, what about the "culture of nationalism" which has people hiring their own kind, and sharing only with their own caste? Did you learn about this in school, or did your teacher only tell you that Catholics would rather change the oil in your truck than study postmodern thought?
By Ben Overmyer
Qatzel, I'd like you to address this hypothetical situation:

You are a producer at a TV studio. You are in a position to hire a new writer. You narrow the choice down to two candidates; both have roughly equal writing ability. One is your best friend from college, and the other is unknown to you. Which do you hire?

--

Also, building connections isn't just about going to college. In fact, I'd say a fair few people in college never make any connections that lead to prestigious jobs. Do you think all of the multi-millionaire actors in Hollywood all started out as sons and daughters of well-connected millionaires?
By NYYS
Currently, our media doesn't allow Catholics to represent the world through their own eyes. They are shown the world through the values of a different cultural tradition.

I'm Catholic, I don't care. I haven't noticed anything in our media that is wildly offensive to me.
By Andres
If anything I would like less catholics in TV in Mexico. You should see the circus that is made when the Pope comes to visit, all channels cover him almost 24 hours a day, for the two or three days that he's there and a couple of days prior and after the visit.
By QatzelOk
If anything I would like less catholics in TV in Mexico.

Send an email to Rupert Murdoch or any of the other non-Catholic media entrepreneurs who own most of the anglo world's information supplies. They'd be glad to help you out in cleaning up that mess of Catholic media.

And best of all, their media will make you rich, just like the caste of Dynasty. Chandelier earrings and huge cars.

No one would be arrested if protesters did not dis[…]

Nope! Yep! Who claimed they were? What predat[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]