Ukraine wants to criminalize calling Russia ‘Russia’ - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The Ukrainian parliament is to consider a bill, which would make calling Russia ‘Russia’ a criminal offense. The bill penned by a Radical Party MP says ‘Russia’ derives from Ukraine’s historic name and can’t be used by the Russian Federation.

With the word ‘Russia’ inadmissible, the bill says ‘Moscovia’ should be used instead.

Violating the ban would be considered a crime and punishable by a fine of about $2,875 and twice that much for repeat offenders and government officials.

The bill was submitted in June 2015 by Oksana Korchinskaya of the Radical Party and is listed for a hearing during parliament’s ongoing session, which will last until July 22. The exact date of the hearing hasn’t been set yet.

According to the wording of the bill, the word “Rus” and its derivative “Russia” are “unofficial names of the territory of modern Ukraine” and “have historic significance for Ukraine.” It says banning the use of these words for modern Russia will “restore historic justice and protect the historic legacy of the Ukrainian people.”

https://www.rt.com/news/333076-ukraine- ... an-russia/

No different than FYROM who banned the use of the term "Macedonian" in reference to any Greek people(current or historical) and had to be embargoed(1993) to come back to its senses though the ban is still somewhat effective in its academia.
Same as FYROM along with all the countries that abandoned Yugoslavia and Russia, we prevented their NATO entry, did you forget already Igor? The NATO base was built anyway in Kossovo instead. We are being given the silent treatment but still can't be ignored because of these many other peoples issues.
Last edited by noemon on 21 Feb 2016 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to now but to remove them from Yugoslavia it did give them a bone, a little one but one nevertheless at a time when Greece did not need anybody's help.

You still have not figured it out Igor? Is that what you 're saying?
Figured out that the west facilitated the breakup and destruction of Yugoslavia? That it promoted separatism and sectarianism, the arming of tandem groups? The air lift of over 8,000 Jihadists into Bosnia from Saudi Arabia? I was there.

Gave us a bone? More like a live grenade with the pin missing. Topped it off with the bombing of Serbia, and the empowerment of more Jihadists in Kosovo.

Greece is in bed with these forces of regression and chaos, as is Ukraine.
Greece fought these forces baby that is the fact and is being isolated little by little since then. Greece was a NATO member that defended Yugoslavia in NATO and who undertook a plethora of measures both civilian and statist to aid her; who made public political statements towards that effect as well. You can't ignore that I believe.

I lived through that time as well in a different way and I'm grateful for that, I cannot even begin to imagine though.
More importantly the Russians might object to outsiders renaming them.

And for all its faults noemon, Greece still has potential to be cool, just side with Russia and exploit NATO. Constantinople could be Greek yet again. I mean for petes sake, the Serbs and Russians freely adopted your writing system and religion, the least you can do is be their buds.
There is far too much of the Dnieper gone under the bridge to consider changing the name of Russia now.

This is the problem with guys like the Ukrainian nationalists or the FYROM - they don't believe in history. Guys who don't believe in history are dangerous.
I think it's a good idea. These Moscovians must realize that there are already too many ethnic Russian states. White Russia/Belarus, Ukraine (Kievan Rus) and now this upstart multi-ethnic pretender state 'The Russian Federation'. We all know that there are dozens of different ethnic groups living in this Federation. Then why call it 'Russian'?

Even Putin's 'Russian irredentism' is a joke, as we all know that the only true Russians live in Kiev.
Political Interest wrote:And then what will they call Russia instead? I assume they will propose the name Muscovy or something similar.

The OP wrote:With the word ‘Russia’ inadmissible, the bill says ‘Moscovia’ should be used instead.

In England, Russia was known back in the 16th century as 'Muscovy'. I guess that's what we'll have to call it again from now on. So.... we'll have a reborn Islamic Caliphate in the Middle East, a reborn Carolingian Empire in Europe, and a reborn Muscovy in the lands of the Eastern Slavs. History seems to be going backwards. Was there some sort of polarity reversal on the axis of time that nobody noticed....?
That could be fairly interesting actually. The Somalians exporting their failed tribal-Islamic supremacist culture to other nations and reducing these too to failed states made up of warlords, pirates and Islamic fundamentalists. Of course I've already started my Dutch scenario, however I could be persuaded to take up a colonial mandate over India instead. Just say the word.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLEFm2BjyoY http[…]

The reality is that post ww2 'west' only exists t[…]

Someone's personal level of outrage doesn't give […]

@Tainari88 Responding to your comment in another[…]