Hollande visits Timbuktu [sic] for victory speech - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Ongoing wars and conflict resolution, international agreements or lack thereof. Nationhood, secessionist movements, national 'home' government versus internationalist trends and globalisation.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I have to say, I'm very happy with the handling of this little war overall. The French are using a "light touch" and are being extremely careful not to be sucked into another "wasps' nest." They went in, if not with much material international support, then with the goodwill of virtually the entire international community.

One has to be completely realistic about "nation-building" in Mali. The State is weak and will likely see continued and constant Western and African support. With any luck neighboring African nations will contribute sufficiently so that the French can withdraw, providing only aid, training, intelligence and perhaps airstrikes, but not "boots on the ground" with the risk of a quagmire.

In addition, I've been happy to see the (balanced, necessary) criticisms of Le Monde and senior French journalists on some aspects of the operation, namely the propagandistic "War on Terror" rhetoric and the warnings about overextension.

The Guardian wrote:François Hollande visits Timbuktu as Mali intervention declared successful

With the key phase of France's campaign over, it is unclear whether lasting peace or a simmering guerrilla war will follow

François Hollande has arrived in Timbuktu to meet local elders days after French forces liberated the Saharan city from fundamentalist Muslim rebels.

The French president, accompanied by his ministers for defence and foreign affairs, landed in Sevare in central Mali before travelling north.

Until just over a week ago, fighters from al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb controlled Timbuktu, torching its showpiece library of ancient manuscripts in a vengeful departing act. They retreated from the town without firing a shot.

Malians have overwhelmingly welcomed France's military operation, which has involved 3,700 ground troops. Their own unelected leaders failed to stop a rebel advance last year, which meant the towns of Gao, Timbuktu and Kidal fell under Islamist rule. French, Malian and other African forces have retaken all three.

But with the major phase of the French campaign over, there is uncertainty about what comes next: a lasting peace or, as seems more probable, a simmering guerrilla war. There are also questions about the human rights record of Mali's army. In separate reports, Amnesty and Human Rights Watch accused the military on Friday of carrying out extrajudicial killings.

Hollande's visit comes after the UN's adviser on the prevention of genocide, Adama Dieng, warned of the increasing risk of reprisal attacks against ethnic Tuareg and Arab civilian populations in the Timbuktu, Kidal and Gao regions.

"While the liberation of towns once under the control of the rebel and extremist groups has brought hope to the populations of northern Mali, I am deeply concerned at the risk of reprisal attacks against ethnic Tuareg and Arab civilians," he said.

"There have been serious allegations of human rights violations committed by the Malian army, including summary executions and disappearances, in Sevare, Mopti, Niono and other towns close to the areas where fighting has occurred. There have also been reports of incidents of mob lynching and looting of properties belonging to Arab and Tuareg communities. These communities are reportedly being accused of supporting armed groups, based simply on their ethnic affiliation."

Some Malians, meanwhile, are unhappy about negotiations in Kidal between French forces and the MNLA, a secular Tuareg nationalist militia that has been fighting in the south for decades. The MNLA wants an independent republic – something Dioncounda Traoré, Mali's interim president, has categorically ruled out.

France's defence minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, has declared the intervention a success, while recognising that Mali's situation is not secure. He also said Malians should now establish a reconciliation process, but this call has left some unhappy. "I welcome the French, but I'm extremely angry they are talking to the MNLA," Ibrahim al-Senussi, a corporal in Mali's army, said. "The MNLA are liars and traitors."

The fate of several French hostages held by Islamist groups is likely to feature in any private dialogue between Paris and northern Malian leaders. Eleven westerners are being held by jihadist forces, it is believed, including three tourists who were kidnapped from their Timbuktu hotel in 2011. A German who resisted was shot dead.

There has been no information on the hostages, but the remote mountains north of Kidal have previously been a haven for radical Islamist guerrillas. French fighter jets bombed the area on Thursday.

Most of the French public back the intervention in Mali, even if it is not their top concern. A poll this week suggested Hollande's swift decision to deploy troops had boosted his presidential stature and approval ratings slightly. But pollsters said despite a small bounce in his ratings, Hollande's status remained "fragile". The president is unpopular because of high unemployment and the economic crisis.

This week he said French and African forces in Mali were "winning the battle", but the joint African force taking over must continue the pursuit of Islamists in the north.

France is due to gradually hand over to a UN-backed African force of some 8,000 soldiers. Its job will be to secure northern towns and pursue militants into their mountain redoubts near Algeria's border, but timings remain unclear.

Its like a Déjà vu.

History of West Africa,http://mali.pwnet.org wrote:With no central power to keep order in the Sudan, agriculture declined. Refugees fled both the slave trade and the warring armies of rival states. Later, Europeans entered the area, seeking raw materials and markets for their manufactured goods. The French took most of the western Sudan - Timbuktu in 1894 and Gao in 1898.

Once again Mali's central power is unable to keep order and French once again enters the arena with their army. Of course to stop Mali from falling in the hands of "savages" and to keep the torch of civilization burning just like the last time.
Yes, apparently the Malian government has gifted Hollande with a baby camel for his efforts. I tacitly supported this intervention, as I believed and still believe it to be the least worst option for Malians in the short-term at least, to rollback the imposition of Islamism on Malian citizens and the Animist Tuaregs of the north, and prevent the total liquidation of Mali's cultural heritage in centers of national and global significance such as Timbuktu, which could never be rectified.

That said, I believe the best path forward from this point is Tuareg independence in the north or at the least autonomy, and a united effort from all of Mali's denizens to prevent the country from becoming a French and EU puppet a la the Ivory Coast and Morocco.

The worst results of this intervention from my perspective will be Bamako's increasing dependence on Paris unless Malians can do something to prevent this scenario, and a minor boost to Hollande's popularity within France.
More encouraging news:
New York Times wrote:Now, with the rapid advance of the French military campaign to recapture northern Mali, the Tuaregs have vowed to help French forces fight the Islamist militants.

The main Tuareg rebel group, the M.N.L.A., announced that it had captured Mohamed Moussa Ag Mohamed, an Islamist leader who helped impose Shariah law in the city of Timbuktu. It also said it had seized Oumeini Ould Baba Akhmed, described as a leader of the Islamist group Mujao, the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa, which is a splinter from Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and responsible for kidnapping at least one French hostage.
World War II Day by Day

…And so European imperialism guarantees that the E[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Yes Rich, the West only exists to stop the develo[…]

...You think I am class conscious? I really now h[…]

Survival strategies are all about culture, not ge[…]