Which is the most libertarian country? I want to emigrate. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Classical liberalism. The individual before the state, non-interventionist, free-market based society.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I think that depending on how you define it, either Denmark or the United States. Denmark has higher taxes but supposedly also fewer business regulations in certain areas.

States like Texas have 0% state income tax.

There's also always third world countries if your definition of libertarianism is closer to anarchy. I don't thinka truly libertarian country exists though.
Estonia - actually I think a lot of east european countries even Russia are considerably more free market than people in the west of europe realise. They had their fill of bureaucratism during the Soviet period, I suppose. I am a hot house flower though; I'd prefer somewhere much warmer than Estonia. Bulgaria is a possibility.
On the opposite side of the old world, I am considering Cambodia.

The other possibility is to do the lawful rebellion thing and "make" a libertarian-esque society of one here in the UK, but I guess the stinkers would just put me in prison.
taxizen wrote:Estonia - actually I think a lot of east european countries even Russia are considerably more free market than people in the west of europe realise. They had their fill of bureaucratism during the Soviet period, I suppose. I am a hot house flower though; I'd prefer somewhere much warmer than Estonia. Bulgaria is a possibility.
On the opposite side of the old world, I am considering Cambodia.

The other possibility is to do the lawful rebellion thing and "make" a libertarian-esque society of one here in the UK, but I guess the stinkers would just put me in prison.

Our Bulgarian friends have achieved great progress lately, but it is laughable for an English man to move there for a better life. They will tear you a new asshole there, unless you are some kind of a genius or rich guy.
I would suggest a British-controlled Caribbean tax haven, such as the Virgin Islands:

Taxation in the British Virgin Islands is relatively simple by comparative standards; photocopies of all of the tax laws of the British Virgin Islands would together amount to about 200 pages of paper.[1] Taxation in the British Virgin Islands is mostly notable for what is not subject to taxation. The British Virgin Islands has:

no capital gains tax,
no gift tax,
no sales tax or value added tax,
no profit tax,
no corporation tax, and
no inheritance tax or estate duty, but
contrary to popular belief, there is in fact income tax in the British Virgin Islands, but the rate of taxation has been set at zero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_i ... in_Islands

Though this site seems to say that, despite being a British dependency, we can't just waltz in there: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic- ... lands.html
Consider Wyoming.

Courtesy of wikipedia.

Wyoming receives more federal tax dollars per capita in aid than any other state except Alaska. The federal aid per capita in Wyoming is more than double the U.S. average.[32] Unlike most other states, Wyoming does not levy an individual or corporate income tax. In addition, Wyoming does not assess any tax on retirement income earned and received from another state. Wyoming has a state sales tax of 4%. Counties have the option of collecting an additional 1% tax for general revenue and a 1% tax for specific purposes, if approved by voters. Food for human consumption is not subject to sales tax.[33] There also is a county lodging tax that varies from 2% to 5%. The state collects a use tax of 5% on items purchased elsewhere and brought into Wyoming. All property tax is based on the assessed value of the property and Wyoming's Department of Revenue's Ad Valorem Tax Division supports, trains, and guides local government agencies in the uniform assessment, valuation and taxation of locally assessed property. "Assessed value" means taxable value; "taxable value" means a percent of the fair market value of property in a particular class. Statutes limit property tax increases. For county revenue, the property tax rate cannot exceed 12 mills (or 1.2%) of assessed value. For cities and towns, the rate is limited to 8 mills (0.8%). With very few exceptions, state law limits the property tax rate for all governmental purposes.

Personal property held for personal use is tax-exempt. Inventory if held for resale, pollution control equipment, cash, accounts receivable, stocks and bonds are also exempt. Other exemptions include property used for religious, educational, charitable, fraternal, benevolent and government purposes and improvements for handicapped access. Mine lands, underground mining equipment, and oil and gas extraction equipment are exempt from property tax but companies must pay a gross products tax on minerals and a severance tax on mineral production.[34][35]

Wyoming does not collect inheritance taxes. Because of the phase-out of the federal estate tax credit, Wyoming's estate tax is not imposed on estates of persons who died in 2005. There is limited estate tax related to federal estate tax collection.

In 2008, the Tax Foundation ranked Wyoming as having the single most "business friendly" tax climate of all 50 states.[36] Wyoming state and local governments in fiscal year 2007 collected $2.242 billion in taxes, levies, and royalties from the oil and gas industry. The state's mineral industry, including oil, gas, trona, and coal provided $1.3 billion in property taxes from 2006 mineral production.[30]
If you have money, then moving to Thailand is good. no taxation that I've seen and what they do have is extremely low.

I have a friend here with about 20 acres of land and 3 houses. His property tax is $9/year.

If you ask most Thais about taxes they say, "I see those drive by all the time."

My friend, teaching, actually gets CASH, for his government job. He won't be paying taxes on that, either.
Prosthetic Conscience - The British Virgin Islands seems to have the perfect tax regime (none), I'll certainly look into that one.

Rainbow Crow & Slybaldguy - There is also the New Hampshire which the free state project people have picked for their libertarian utopia, however I don't want to go to anywhere under the dominion of Washington clods. Now if Texas were to secced from the union then I might consider it.

Cambodia - Polpot is ancient history and the US hasn't done any saturation bombing in decades (they are still finding unexploded US bomb though), nowadays it is quite nice.

Godstud - Thailand sounds good.
Move to Switzerland. It's got "comparatively" low taxes and acceptable gun laws. There's, however, some diversity among the cantons. This means you'd have to look for the most libertarian canton.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the differences between them.

Switzerland is definitely much better than the US (in economic terms) or Denmark (gun laws!).
Decky wrote:You will be betraying Rand if you go anywhere but Somalia! They have freedom flying around everywhere; sometimes at lethal velocity.

I'm not a Randoid, but sure there are people trying to impose a government on the Somalis which means they have to defend themselves. If I went there I ought to help out with that.
taxizen wrote:Okay I have had enough of the UK; I want out of taxes and regulations and all the other stupidities visited on the people by the dimwit thieving bureau-twats. Which country in the world is most libertarian? Ideally 0% taxation but I'd settle for ultra-low taxation.

There must still be little islands left in the middle of the Pacific, for those who truly "self-made men" with no social obligations.
Kman wrote:Somalia is not libertarian, are you for real? They dont respect property rights nor capitalism there.

Exactly! And that is the great fraud of libertarianism. Libertarian ideology is all about no public schools, hospitals, or even decent roads and parks for us low brow middle class and lowers, while the rich have the government they need: the army and the police forces that enforce the laws which rewards the accumulators of wealth. In an anarchistic society like Somalia, the rich have to hire their own guns to protect them.

But all libertarian societies will descend into anarchy, once armed gangs among the impoverished realize that the easiest way to earn fast money is to take these bastards hostage...or their children -- that was a revelation 25 years ago, when I was driving for a charter bus company, and discovered that two of our regular contracts: field trips for two expensive private schools, had a significant number of children from Latin American countries. And the reason why their wealthy parents were spending $20,000 per year, per child to put them in the schools, had more to do with the threat of kidnappings in their homelands than it did with the great education.

As our society becomes more libertarian, it also becomes more uncivil as the social fabric that binds it together completely disintegrates. Eventually every libertarian nation will become some form of fascist kleptocracy, because only the threat of extreme force will protect them and their wealth.
work-in-progress wrote:There must still be little islands left in the middle of the Pacific, for those who truly "self-made men" with no social obligations.

Tax is theft. What you call "social obligation" is just the presumption that zombie bureaucrats have the special magical ability to milk the cattle people for their own good. You may be a happy tax cow but I am not.

No...there is a third choice which is that you ar[…]

They're …..terrorists use. I am not going to a[…]

wat0n , I think I found a quote that might help b[…]

It actually would be good for Europe because th[…]